Tales Of The Abyss dubbed?

• Since FUNimation got the license for Tales Of The Abyss, should It be dubbed or not?

• If FUNimation were to dub Abyss, they should just dub in-house to save money.

• @jlaking:

If FUNimation were to dub Abyss, they should just dub in-house to save money.

I am going to have to respectfully disagree here. In cases like this where the animation is based off of a video game. Then by all means use the voice actors from the game since they would have experience with playing the characters. Only exceptions would be like an older game where the voice acting wasn't that good in the first place, or they just aren't available. So yeah, personally I'd hope for them to go for the cast from the game first, if they can't get them, then by all means do it in-house.

• Should they dub it with the original game's cast? Yes, in my opinion. It would be nice.

Will they dub it? Probably not. Lance and Adam mentioned on the last ANNCast they were on that the sub-only Bandai rescues would more-than-likely not be getting a new dub.

Here's the link if you want to give it a listen yourself: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-12-13

• I hope that they dub it. After the Vesperia move was dubbed it would be a let down for this to go undubbed.

I hope that they decide to dub the rescue releases in general as there are some other ones that desperately need a redub and/or would be rather pointless to release undubbed (eg:My-Otome franchise).

• @sidereal_presence:

I hope that they decide to dub the rescue releases in general as there are some other ones that desperately need a redub and/or would be rather pointless to release undubbed (eg:My-Otome franchise).

My Otome has a dub, and it's a very good dub at that IMO. The only My Otome release that didn't get a dub was the last OVA set, My Otome 0-S.ifr which was released by Bandai Ent as a sub only. Not that it really mattered to me, since it was a prequel to the TV series, and didn't feature any of the characters that had been in the dubbed episodes, or OVAs.

• well, there was Miyu

• @Davidism:

My Otome has a dub, and it's a very good dub at that IMO. The only My Otome release that didn't get a dub was the last OVA set, My Otome 0-S.ifr which was released by Bandai Ent as a sub only. Not that it really mattered to me, since it was a prequel to the TV series, and didn't feature any of the characters that had been in the dubbed episodes, or OVAs.

Wasn't the head of the academy also in there?

Honestly, I consider My-Otome's dub to be one of the worst dubs of all time, as weaksauce as the original Initial D dub that DJ Milky traumatized us with. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I couldn't hit the language select button fast enough. This dub does not hold a candle to modern Funimation dubs and it is even eclipsed by dubs from the same studio. Watching this dub would be like replacing your daily driver with a vintage Model A. As such, it ought to go.

• @sidereal_presence:

This dub does not hold a candle to modern Funimation dubs and it is even eclipsed by dubs from the same studio.

Considering that studio was Blue Water, I have to disagree. All of their stuff is equally crap. -_-

And yes, that includes G Gundam. Come at me b*tches.

• @sidereal_presence:

I couldn't hit the language select button fast enough. This dub does not hold a candle to modern Funimation dubs…

Well, to each their own. I honestly can't switch most FUNi dubs off as fast as I can. Which is why I voted for Abyss to be kept subbed.

• @Davidism:

Well, to each their own. I honestly can't switch most FUNi dubs off as fast as I can. Which is why I voted for Abyss to be kept subbed.

It's not as though you can't switch the tracks. When watching most non-TX dubs I am thankful for this functionality. Dubs that feature overly emotional, stage-like acting (luckily William Shatner hasn't locked down hammy acting like Apple has the rounded rectangle) and/or try to "emulate the Japanese" annoy me to no end. Especially when they employ Japanese honorifics as those always can be figured out by context or replaced with English terms. Context is how most of us figured out what those honorifics meant in the first place. Mercifully Funimation even writes its simulcast subs without them, by and large.

My-Otome was loaded with unnecessary Japanese honorifics in the dub but the actors were obviously not comfortable with using them, which is understandable as they are not English words and, I stridently maintain, have no place in any English dub. I can stomach a few but when it gets to My-Otome levels where virtually every sentence is teeming with Japanese honorifics then I'll just hop over to the Japanese track as there the Japanese honorifics actually belong and the actors employ them naturally.

As for dubbing Tales of the Abyss, I know that I have little reason to pick this up subbed. Maybe I will, eventually, but it won't be a Day 1 or "Day 0" purchase, like it would be if it were dubbed.

• Well I never played the game but they shoud keep the game cast

• To be honest, I just want to see this series get the same respect and dub level as Funimation's best series. This is a great game series, so, to respect the game, same level of Dub, Please.

• Yes, I think it should be dubbed with the same cast and crew as the game.

• I would so buy it esp if they dubbed it with the same game voices or with as many as possible.