So…Commercials with elite sub?

• I figured when i PAY to use the service it would be add free and come from the site. Watching FMA it just steams from Hulu. Is paying for a elite sub even worth it since i can just watch the damn show on hulu for free with the same commercials. Fail Funimation …..Fail.

• You are not currently an Elite Video Subscriber.

If you have been charged for April, please create a support ticket with the reason code "Subscription Billing" and information about the charge you have seen on your bank statement and a billing agent will be happy to assist you.

• I just joined as an elite subscriber and I am now being shown commercials as well from Hulu and do not have access to HD quality. Is Funimation TRYING to piss people off?

• @boanerges:

I just joined as an elite subscriber and I am now being shown commercials as well from Hulu and do not have access to HD quality. Is Funimation TRYING to piss people off?

It depends: What exactly are you watching?

• Yeah I noticed… was watching Lechavlier Deon but it kept hitting me with hulu ads and low quality video, then I switch to Hellsing and poof: no more ads. What gives?

• Licensing issues, more than likely. They might not have the rights to stream certain shows in HD without commercials. Some of the ADV "rescues" that FUNi picked up a while back (such as Le Chevalier D'Eon) might be a victim of this.

Every show is a little bit different, and a lot of them come packaged along with their own little quirks. Not really much that FUNi or anyone else can do about it, really. :hmm:

• Speaking of le chevalier d'Eon it's not available on the roku device for streaming. It's clearly on the funimation website as I'm watching it right now but I'm a little confused since I was hoping to watch it on my flat screen HDTV instead of my tablet-sized computer :(

Is this problem also the result of licensing issues?

• ^ Very likely. It's just like a few days ago when another user was saying he couldn't watch Fist of the North Star through the FUNimation app. Different shows have different rules.

In D'Eon's case, it's very likely that the restrictions are there based on the rather "unique" circumstances regarding how FUNimation acquired it and all the other ADV/Sojitz titles a few years back. That, and the show just wasn't ever really popular for FUNimation, so they may have never even sought out full streaming rights for it. Who knows? At this point all we can do is speculate.

Also keep in mind that D'Eon never even had a bluray release in Japan, so HD masters technically don't even exist for it. For that reason, FUNi couldn't stream the show in HD even if they wanted to.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Also keep in mind that D'Eon never even had a bluray release in Japan, so HD masters technically don't even exist for it. For that reason, FUNi couldn't stream the show in HD even if they wanted to.

That is an interesting point, but when Netflix had Deon it was in HD (and of course, no ads.) In fact, part of why I signed up for Funimation was to finish watching that show I started on Netflix. So I am slightly perturbed. If Netflix can pony up for their subscribers, why can't Funimation?

• I was able to confirm that this show is currently only playable with commercials, which means it is not available through the Roku and is also likely not available for streaming on the Xbox, either. You should still be able to play through a mobile device with commercials, however.

I'm actually not sure what's going on with this title, as I do believe we previously had it available without commercials, However, while I can't speak to what might have changed from the past, I can confirm that in the present, it is correctly available (or unavailable) in the correct locations and ways. :)