Questions

• So what exactly does funimation plan on "doing" with cowboy bebop, its already been dubbed, and quite well. Are they just making it in blu-ray and digital, or are they actually re-dubbing it, and why? Nobody can replace Steve Blum as Spike.

• @compromised:

Are they just making it in blu-ray and digital,

This. Nothing more needs be done.

• I wouldn't mind a redub. It'll never happen, I realize, but I would appreciate a dub that sounded more natural (ie:like most modern in-house Funi dubs), made Faye Valentine less stilted and didn't cast Jet Black based upon his last name.

…that said, when I watched Psycho-pass (vomit) dubbed I had to suppress the expectation for Kogami to sound like Steve Blum. Or as he once insisted (sigh), like David Lucas.

• Most likely they just plan to make reprints and and aforementioned HD release.

They won't redub the show, very few things are re-dubbed outside of shows that were heavily censored or edited in the past.

@Sidereal: Wasn't Cowboy Bebop considered one of the good dubs? I admit that's a bit of an oxymoron but if current day Funi dubs are what people are asking for then dear god I'm glad to not be a fan.

• @St0ck:

Most likely they just plan to make reprints and and aforementioned HD release.

They won't redub the show, very few things are re-dubbed outside of shows that were heavily censored or edited in the past.

@Sidereal: Wasn't Cowboy Bebop considered one of the good dubs? I admit that's a bit of an oxymoron but if current day Funi dubs are what people are asking for then dear god I'm glad to not be a fan.

I can't say that I do. That dub sent me running as fast as my fingers would take me to the Japanese track. Bang/Zoom dubs, with few exceptions, just don't appeal to me.

• Of course, Bang Zoom didn't dub it, but little details don't matter, eh? ~_^

• Cowboy bop was Animaze not Bang Zoom. I think you are the only person I've come across that believes Cowboy Bebop would benefit from a redub

• @TIL:

Of course, Bang Zoom didn't dub it, but little details don't matter, eh? ~_^

Nope, not a bit. I dislike the Bebop dub and I don't like the majority of Bang/Zoom's dubs so everything I posted still stands. Technically I didn't state that B/Z did Bebop but I was thinking that due a) the dubbing "technique" and b) the actors involved.

I think you are the only person I've come across that believes Cowboy Bebop would benefit from a redub

How many Bebop fans have you come across whose initial exposure to Bebop, and anime in general, wasn't through its airing on Cartoon Network? Virtually all the fans of Bebop's dub whom I have encountered were introduced to dubbed anime by it.

• And the fact that it didn't turn people away says a lot about how good the dub was.

Look, liking or disliking a dub is all subjective, I won't fault you for disliking the dub but it's a valid point that your view is in the minority.

• @Sidereal: Most Dubs in general heck voiced in any animation are anything but natural sounding, and that's part of the point. But Cowboy Bebop was a hella lot more organic then most! A redub would do nothing but have a negative effect on the show.

• @St0ck:

And the fact that it didn't turn people away says a lot about how good the dub was.

Look, liking or disliking a dub is all subjective, I won't fault you for disliking the dub but it's a valid point that your view is in the minority.

I'm not so sure that it says anything about the dub's quality. I liken it to the guys who are still partial to cheap beer despite having now experienced real "adult libation" as they have a place in their heart for the cheap stuff that introduced them to the world of booze.
    I'm not so sure that those who didn't like the Bebop dub are in the minority. It seems likely, sure, but there are an awful lot of "sub-purists" out there and this is one time that they and I see eye to eye.

Most Dubs in general heck voiced in any animation are anything but natural sounding, and that's part of the point. But Cowboy Bebop was a hella lot more organic then most!

Dubs can, and have, sound far better than the Bebop dub. If the point of a dub is to sound unnatural then, except for the few anime series where the Japanese did prelay, there's no natural sounding way to watch anime. That doesn't sound right to me (lol).

With Bebop no longer being the "gateway drug" into anime the way the new fans are going to access it is by checking out the Funimation rescue release and when they do they're going to be met with a dub that is vastly different than the modern dubs to which they were exposed first.

While I don't care for the Bebop dub I'd honestly prefer that Funi divert whatever "funds for rescue release dubs" that there may be towards My-Otome and Tales of the Abyss, titles that really need that money :)

• I don't care about Tales of the Abyss, but I wholeheartedly agree that My Otome could use a redub

• I pretty sure that the OP's initial question has been answered. And at this point, all I'm seeing is the thread degrade into an off-topic "X" dubs are bad because I don't like them; and you should feel bad for liking them. So…