Title: WATAMOTE COMPLETE COLLECTION
    Published by: Sentai Filmworks
    Distributed by: Section23 Films
    Run Time: 300 min.
    Release Date: 8/26/2014
    Format: DVD/BD
    Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
    SRP: $59.98/$69.98

• Here's hoping a dub script can fix some of the abundant issues the original version had

Fun concept for a black comedy and nice homage parodies to other shows, but otherwise a completely atrocious sack of gar-báge

• @Riles:

Here's hoping a dub script can fix some of the abundant issues the original version had

Fun concept for a black comedy and nice homage parodies to other shows, but otherwise a completely atrocious sack of gar-báge

I would be nice if you at least went ahead and said which issues, instead of just coming into the thread and calling it garbage. I haven't seen the show yet, so if the sub script is trash, then please give me a clue why, so I can make a decision of whether this is something I'll have to watch RAW or hunt down a secondary sub script for.

• Wasn't soley a black comedy, played pretty straight, was about a realistic a look into social anxiety disorder as well get in anime.

I thought it was a great anime and the manga is great as well! One of the few anime titles I'll be adding to my shelf this year.

• I'll likely re-watch it in English on TAN, but I wont be buying it

• @Davidism:

I would be nice if you at least went ahead and said which issues, instead of just coming into the thread and calling it garbage. I haven't seen the show yet, so if the sub script is trash, then please give me a clue why, so I can make a decision of whether this is something I'll have to watch RAW or hunt down a secondary sub script for.

The show itself is awful. What advertises itself as a sort of pitch to people that suffer heavily from social anxiety ends up being a completely unrealistic hodgepodge of situations that no high school girl would ever end up in. At least for a show like Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, the hyperbole was still grounded in a series of real-world everyday events that many people have experienced or can imagine. With WataMote, most of the second half of the show is just a bunch of really terrible, terrible situations that wouldn't ever actually happen to anybody - for example, when Tomoko tells her mom she wants to work in a cake shop as a summer job, and her mother misinterprets that as a cake factory. Or perhaps the scene where Tomoko goes on a roof to watch the fireworks, only to find two boys peeping on people having sex in a love hotel - to which she ends up joining them. There are many scenes from this show that are like that. How are these examples of a socially dysfunctional high school girl? The answer is, they aren't, and this show isn't a good example if you're watching with the perspective of looking into a mirror of your own dysfunctionality

Now, if you're watching this from a black comedy standpoint - something in the vein of, like, an animated series of the Cyanide & Happiness comic - then there's some decency to be found in the humor and references to other shows, as long as you are comfortable with its overt attempts to shock and disturb you

There's nothing wrong with the script itself, but I'm hoping some quality writing will be able to spruce up the general feel of the show in order to upgrade it to something more passable. To me, this show didn't pass, because, like I said, it billed itself as a dysfunctional social mirror instead of a straight black comedy

• I think the problem is that Japan as a whole doesn't experience social dysfunction in quite the same way that Americans do. I realize that social disorder is social disorder, but, there are huge differences in the way people of different classes and age groups represent themselves socially in America, and in Japan.

"Welcome to the N.H.K." was an anime that I felt came close to touching on the topic, but fell short somewhere around the half-way mark. Granted it portrayed a stereotypical N.E.E.T. but it really didn't cover all the possible variables that makes one. In the end it was just two losers finding themselves together, and that alone isn't enough to overcome a dysfunction of that magnitude.

"Wallflower," while less about being a shut-in for N.E.E.T. reasons still broached the topic of social dysfunction; assuming one could get past the bishonen reverse harem aspect, and overlook Shinichi Watanabe's flair for the bizarre and "Wacky." Nevertheless it didn't quite hit any sort of mark for what I would call, American social dysfunction.

Trashy house: atypical college student fare. Doesn't equal N.E.E.T.

Shut-in, horror movie lover with goth overtones: doesn't equal "can't deal with life outside."

"Watamote"—based on what you've said—doesn't seem any different to me than the anime above. Just another attempt at Japan to turn the mirror on their own special brand of odd social issues and make a buck off of it.

Then again, maybe we're looking at this all wrong. Maybe it's not meant to be a social message of any kind, and is just meant to be taken as realistically as "C.S.I." is to actual crime scene investigation.

• I also like to view it as a black comedy, because that's the tinted foil that makes the show a lot better. I can't agree with people that say it's a social commentary, because if it is, it has less relevance than Morgan Spurlock trying to convince people to stay away from fast food. For real though, what kind of person watches a scene where Tomoko runs from home to become a call girl at a nightclub, and thinks, "That's me! THAT'S TOTALLY MY LIFE"

Alas, I can't make the rules. Things are as people say they are

EDIT: Also, you may have misinterpreted my description of the show a bit. It's nothing to do with psychology, and it's not really another avenue in the recent NEET trend. It really is just an antisocial girl that tries to increase her popularity and gets into a lot of really awkward situations

• There's far more to the show then your giving in credit for, but we already had lengthy discussions about this in the shows actual discussion thread. So I'm not gonna get into another pointless argument over it with you.

Just know that the way YOU personally interpret the show isn't the only way people look at it.

• @Riles:

EDIT: Also, you may have misinterpreted my description of the show a bit. It's nothing to do with psychology, and it's not really another avenue in the recent NEET trend. It really is just an antisocial girl that tries to increase her popularity and gets into a lot of really awkward situations

It's about a girl with Asperber's Syndrome, and her desperate yet hopeless attempts at trying to become popular. Since I have said syndrome, I - and a lot of people like me - can't help but sympathize with her. Calling it garbage and saying:

this show isn't a good example if you're watching with the perspective of looking into a mirror of your own dysfunctionality

is pretty ignorant. I don't believe you would have the same opinion of this show if you also had this social dysfunction, so it would be nice if showed a little more respect.

• First of all, I’m interested in checking out this WATAMOTE anime, I think I might stream a few episodes to see what it’s like and if I’m taken with it, I think I may purchase it. From the premise seems like it would be a pretty good show.

Now then, I find it interesting how people on these and other forums will dish out negative criticisms towards given anime shows and say they’re merely expressing an opinion. But then get upset when the tables are turned and other people are expressing a negative opinion on anime they like.

I find it disturbingly ironic that the same people that accuse others of internalizing their fandom get pissed off when other people criticise the anime shows they like, a personality or critic in the community they look up to, or an ideological standpoint they align themselves with.

It’s the freedom to express an opinion, people here have said that themselves.

So Riles is well within his right to say he dislikes the series; he was asked to elaborate on why he feels the way he does, and he did. So he doesn't like it; his opinion isn't going to change the fact that I will be checking this show out at some point.

Lastly, I have Asperger’s Syndrome as well along with having to deal with some issues that has affected my life, I also enjoy anime of course; but I have not internalized any of this as a part of my personal identity. Those who think so are sorely mistaken.

• @7jaws7:

It's about a girl with Asperber's Syndrome, and her desperate yet hopeless attempts at trying to become popular. Since I have said syndrome, I - and a lot of people like me - can't help but sympathize with her. Calling it garbage and saying:

is pretty ignorant. I don't believe you would have the same opinion of this show if you also had this social dysfunction, so it would be nice if showed a little more respect.

Is it considered a social dysfunction to vomit at your own face in the mirror because you haven't seen it in years? Is it considered a social dysfunction to fall asleep with a vibrater-esque massager in your hand while you're playing an Rx dating sim, to which your father enters your bedroom and thinks you to be masturbating? Is it considered a social dysfunction to willingly join two elementary school boys on a rooftop in order to watch couples getting it on in a nearby love hotel window? Is it considered a social dysfunction to start working at a cake factory?

Even if you were to identify with it by claiming she has Asperger's (which, I can't argue whether she does or not one way or the other - that's an entirely different discussion that I can't really get into due to my aversion towards speculation), the show itself would certainly be more of an ignorant example of it than anything I've said, since a sizable chunk of the jokes revolve around external forces screwing up her life, rather than any kind of inner turmoil she creates (hence, the title of the show, "No Matter How I Look At It, It's Your Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular"). Obviously I don't think the show's being truly ignorant, and all the same I don't think think ignorance in and of itself should necessarily be considered an offensive thing

In the future, I'd really appreciate if you wouldn't take my negative thoughts about a show and turn it into an attack on my supposed prejudice against people with Asperger's

• Hmm… sounds to me like Tomoko needs a boost to her self-image, and a shot of better luck in life. Which if that's the case, becomes very relate-able in some regards.

I'm probably going to buy it regardless, because I for one am fond of the fan-art for the show, and find it amusing.

Also, just to throw this out there.

Riles is entitled to his opinion on an anime. Doesn't mean everyone has to like it, or love it, or even agree with it. If you want to challenge an opinion, then go watch it for yourself, and present your case, without bringing up Asperger's Syndrome as an excuse pro or con something. I mean sheesh, I have Soundmonkey Syndrome, and you don't see me spanking that monkey everytime he's in a thread do you?

• Yeah this is getting abit off topic…

At the end of the day like any show there will be people that love & hate it. Although yes from a nerd culture perspective we all need to stop gong into threads for things we don't like and calling them garbage, even if it is a gut reaction...

On a random note, my mother once accused my of having Aspergers when I was 15, but nothing was ever proven. And Nothing Ever will be!

But ahh, yeah, great show, can't wait to buy the BD! Also needa get V3 of the manga!

Edit: @David. Does this mean you don't like me anymore.

• I can't say that I cared for this show. I was bored to tears by it. It was like B Gata H Kei or Haganai gone horribly, horribly wrong. If it was intended to be a comedy it didn't make me even consider laughing and if it was intended to be a serious show then it wasn't serious enough to pull that off.

I still believe that it must have been intended to be a comedy. I hope that the Sentai dub treats it as one because if they "play it straight" then I can only see it falling flat.

Will Karbowski play the dysfunctional lead, since she spoke as though she were her in the dubbed trailer for Watamote?

• I'm basically getting. "I don't understand this show so I'm going to treat it soley as a comedy" Vibes from posts.

Also it's nothing like. B Gata, that was far more light hearted. And how can it be Hanagi gone horribly wrong when Hanagi itself was Hanagi done horrribly wrong!? Just sayin.

• It was very much in the same boat as B Gata H Kei, considering the primary focus for both was centered around an eccentric chick aiming for a higher social status. In the case of B Gata H Kei, there was an unbelievably large amount of character development as the series shifted from a sex comedy to something way more romantic and reflective

Granted, even if WataMote had done things correctly, I still don't think it could've touched B Gata H Kei, but that's my own bias sinking in

Oh, and if Karbowski does end up voicing Tomoko, then that's another thing the two shows have in common

@Soundmonkey44:

I'm basically getting. "I don't understand this show so I'm going to treat it soley as a comedy" Vibes from posts.

There's nothing to misunderstand. It's a marginally better show if viewed strictly as a comedy, because the seriousness and the reflective portions of the show are so poorly executed that it can't help but bring down the quality

• I disagree with everything in your post, but respect your right to say it.

I accept when I'm defeated, no point in arguing with someone who you know won't change their position.

• I tried to shed some light on the issue, just because Riles' lack of understanding people like me rubbed me the wrong way. All I asked Riles for was a little more respect. If he can't even do that, how can I respect his opinion?

• WATAMOTE is awesome I love that show its one of my favorites=)