Research for Thesis

• Hello to you all!

This anime noob is in need of some help. I'm getting my MFA in screenwriting and my thesis is an anime show. Well, to clarify: it's anime-inspired, but let's just call it an animation show. Basically, I've already written the pilot episode, and all that is left is a series bible and a 10-page research paper. That pesky 10-page paper is where I compare and contrast my thesis show to pre-existing works.

The part where I need your help is suggestions for Japanese anime and/or Western animation shows that are similar to my thesis. My list of reference shows that either inspired me and/or have great similarities to my thesis is really short. Currently, it is: DARKER THAN BLACK, TRINITY BLOOD, and CLAYMORE. YOUNG JUSTICE (non-Japanese animation) was on my list, but I'm not sure if it has any real similarities to my thesis pilot. Now if that doesn't give you an idea of what my thesis is like here is a list of live-action shows that have inspired and/or are similar to my "show": GRIMM, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL, AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D., THE X-FILES, and to some extent, ARROW.

Now on another forum, I have received suggestions like HELLSING, GA-REI: ZERO, COFFIN PRINCESS, TRIGUN, and the BLADE ANIMATED SERIES.

If you need further details about what my thesis show is like, you can send me a private message. Your suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

• SPAWN: The Animated series from the 90's might help. Might wanna check out THE MAXX as well.

• So I'm assuming your basic premise is some kind of dark/self-serious episodic/procedural supernatural action story?

I feel like the fact that Evangelion isn't like the very first thing on your list is a pretty huge oversight.

You also might want to look into stuff like Garden of Sinners, Fate/Zero and/or Fate/Stay Night, Ghost in the Shell, Higurashi, and Madoka Magica.

• @Renzokuken:

So I'm assuming your basic premise is some kind of dark/self-serious episodic/procedural supernatural action story?

I feel like the fact that Evangelion isn't like the very first thing on your list is a pretty huge oversight.

You also might want to look into stuff like Garden of Sinners, Fate/Zero and/or Fate/Stay Night, Ghost in the Shell, Higurashi, and Madoka Magica.

You see, there you go. I hadn't even considered Evangelion because I've never seen it. The anime I have seen is quite limited. And thanks for the recommendations! :)