Highschool of the Dead

• Via ANN

Genres: action, drama, horror, thriller
    Themes: Ecchi, fanservice, Gore, zombies
    Objectionable content: Intense

Synopsis: It began without warning. It continues without mercy. Now a band of high schoolers join forces with guns, swords, baseball bats and anything else they can get their hands on to battle a bloodthirsty, flesh-hungry zombie apocalypse!

via TRSI:

Highschool of the Dead Blu-ray Complete Collection (Hyb)

Highschool of the Dead DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)

Contains episodes 1-12.

Special Features: Clean Opening Animation. Clean Closing Animation.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.

Synopsis: When an unplanned stop on a deserted island gives Takashi, Saeko and the rest of the ragged band of survivors a chance to expose themselves to something other than zombie bites for a change, they're more than ready to take a break and let their hair down. Discovering the remnants of an old beach store, the entire group strips to swimsuits and sets out to make the uninhabited island inhabitable, but they're unaware that this seeming paradise is actually just the dead calm before the storm.
    Sometimes the recently deceased aren't the only problems that can lie buried in the sand, and as the swimwear comes off and the inhibitions come down, a kink in the island's food chain sets a truly shocking series of events into motion! You won't believe what comes out next, but suffice it to say that the deserted island may not be so deserted after all!

via TRSI:

Highschool of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead Blu-ray (Hyb)

Highschool of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead DVD (Hyb)

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.

• I adored this series, I’ve watched it three times and I’m still not sick of it; the merging of sensuality and violence with relatable, developed characters make this one of my top favorites.

I really like the execution because it had a Grind House/Tarantino/Rodriguez style to it; as I said, I very much enjoyed this show for the whole package it offered.

That OVA was pretty funny as well.

@ Chrisc - Now, don’t take this the wrong way, but taking into account the way these posts are written; title, synopsis, specs and a purchasing link and how organized and professional they’re laid out, I can’t help but assume your some sort of marketing rep for Sentai or Rightstuf. If I’m wrong so be it, it’s just a hunch based on what your behavior I’ve seen since the new forum opened up, I don’t mean it as a knock against you, just curious.

• @neonwalrus:

@ Chrisc - Now, don’t take this the wrong way, but taking into account the way these posts are written; title, synopsis, specs and a purchasing link and how organized and professional they’re laid out, I can’t help but assume your some sort of marketing rep for Sentai or Rightstuf. If I’m wrong so be it, it’s just a hunch based on what your behavior I’ve seen since the new forum opened up, I don’t mean it as a knock against you, just curious.

I can't make Funi show threads here or I make mods mad, and don't forget about the Media Blaster animes. I only make threads for some of the animes I like. I made a Templet so most have the same setup, The lag on the old Funi website prevented me from using the forum.

• @Chrisc:

I can't make Funi show threads here or I make mods mad, and don't forget about the Media Blaster animes.

That’s correct; there’s an entirely separate section where each Funimation series has its own thread. I also noticed the Media Blasters stuff, which is why I was curious if you might have been a Rightstuf Rep; which is fine because I’ve been more than satisfied with Rightstuf’s service; especially recently when they switched over to FedEx for Canadian shipments.

@Chrisc:

I only make threads for some of the animes I like.

Fair enough, however, while I don’t want to sound like a nitpick, maybe if you offer some of your thoughts on some of these shows on your posts; what you liked, your favorite characters, episodes etc. This is why I had the theory I did; you lay out the information on these shows in a very clear, organized and professional manner; so it lead me to believe you were a marketer of some sort.

• @neonwalrus:

Fair enough, however, while I don’t want to sound like a nitpick, maybe if you offer some of your thoughts on some of these shows on your posts; what you liked, your favorite characters, episodes etc. This is why I had the theory I did; you lay out the information on these shows in a very clear, organized and professional manner; so it lead me to believe you were a marketer of some sort.

I read everyone's post in the treads I create an post when needed.

For my favorite character for HOTD I would say Saya Takagi & Favorite episode would be 6

• @Chrisc:

For my favorite character for HOTD I would say Saya Takagi & Favorite episode would be 6

That’s a good start; why is Saya your favorite character? I thought she had a great design, was probably the most charismatic of the ensemble and very well developed as a character; I liked that she was bothered by the fact that she took a small degree of pleasure in the recent events; it aided to make her more believable and relatable as a character.

What is your opinion on how they merged many of the action scenes with ecchi and their overall execution? Personally, I thought it was done quite crafty and inventive to go a little further on my first post in this thread.

• I loved this series very much. If it wasn't for the ads and trailers that I was watching, I would've never watched it. For that reason, I thank Sentai filmworks and the producers who made this. I can't wait for season two!!!!!

• Same here!

• I liked the show. I enjoyed the dub, though I heard that old tale about how it, like Angel Beats', was originally greater than what we got on the BD.

The OVA was kinda dumb IMO. I liked how the dub eliminated the utterly ridiculous bit from the sub about the otaku having gone through "British SAS survival school" but I did think that it was weaker than the series (especially the forced reference to Breaking Bad). BTW, what is with Japan and the hydrangea plant? I haven't heard of people illegally growing hydrangea before (In sankarea they grew it legally and openly), or that it is an LSD-like hallucinogenic drug (or that it keeps zombies "human"). I wonder if they thought about changing the plant to something else in the dub?

• I thought it was fun as hell. Start with your average high school setting with high school angst, and throw the kids into a tried and true zombie meatgrinder to see if they can keep their heads above water. Cool guns, violence to the point of grindhouse camp (as neonwalrus mentioned), with heaping helpings of dramedy and T&A.

I can't say I have a favorite character in particular, but I think the gun nut (I forget his name) and I would get along just fine. Oh, and the girl with the sword and the mild case of bloodlust.

Here I am unable to remember any of their names… I guess I just need to go watch it again!

-CoD

• Wait, they had names? Wha?

• I really hope HOTD comes back to life soon, if you'll pardon the pun.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the second season was confirmed (although no dates were mentioned) at a con back in 2011; they said "as long as we have support from the fans, there will be a second season." This is definitely in my top 5 shows and, in my opinion, deserves a second season more than anything else that I've watched.
    Also, the manga hasn't moved since April and the last chapter looked to be a turning point in the story.

• I think the problem with the manga is causing the delay for the second season. I assume that they don't want the series to overrun the manga (which has happened to other series, usually unsuccessfully), and they simply don't have enough material yet. I blame the author for only bothering to publish one chapter in nearly the last four years.

• @captainofdistraction:

I think the problem with the manga is causing the delay for the second season. I assume that they don't want the series to overrun the manga (which has happened to other series, usually unsuccessfully), and they simply don't have enough material yet.

Didn't the first season only cover 13 chapters? (13 because they changed the position of some chapters and had "the sword and the dead" occur before the Takagis' house is reached) With the unused material in the manga, I think they'd be able to make at least 15 more episodes.
    I don't think the problem is that there isn't enough material, I think they have other problems to deal with, like the fact that apparently (I'm only repeating what I've heard here) zombies aren't as popular in Japan as they are in the west and both the manga and anime have suffered as a result; if you look on wikipedia, it says that the manga was voted "worst manga" at some point too!

• Have to say, I LOVE this series! It's in my top 5. Love all the characters but Psycho is my favorite, she is awesome! Rai (can't remember how they spell it) was cool but was annoying at times. Crazy fat kid was awesome! Not to mention I like zombies so this show definitely hit the spot :) Now I just need a season 2 and I'll be good. Hopefully we'll get it next year,

• Technically her name is spelled Saeko, though I guess she is pretty crazy with a katana

• @Riles:

Technically her name is spelled Saeko, though I guess she is pretty crazy with a katana

She was pretty crazy without it too.

Maybe I should finally pick this one up on BD as it is on sale. I watched it on Netflix Streaming…that's the 21st century equivalent of watching it on VHS, as I now realize.

I just have trouble believing what the OVA told me, that if we went back to 1969 and replaced the hippies cannabis at Woodstock with hydrangea the results would have been the same.

• @Swordy537:

Didn't the first season only cover 13 chapters? (13 because they changed the position of some chapters and had "the sword and the dead" occur before the Takagis' house is reached) With the unused material in the manga, I think they'd be able to make at least 15 more episodes.
    I don't think the problem is that there isn't enough material, I think they have other problems to deal with, like the fact that apparently (I'm only repeating what I've heard here) zombies aren't as popular in Japan as they are in the west and both the manga and anime have suffered as a result; if you look on wikipedia, it says that the manga was voted "worst manga" at some point too!

Oh indeed, the Anime was confirmed but the main aspect to everything is Money. I think like you have stated that is the current issue. But im pretty sure the writer has another project they are working on at the same time. Maybe they are holding back because of that? I also heard that because of the almost borderline "hentai" aspects it caused an issue with the tv ratings on rather to rate it as just a Hentai or as an Ecchi. Which lead to many different discussions on this. Of course these are just things i've heard.

In the end, if we all buy like 6 copies of the dvds maybe we could fun the next anime ourselves :P hahaha

Jokes aside, i think the zombie thing isn't popular in japan for many different reasons. You have to see it as if the Zombies fall into our more "american/European" style it may have that lack of sense to it. And as such creates a cult following while not many people wanting to buy it. That being said, it did pretty well (from what i read) in the States and other areas. So i mean maybe it's coming down to licensing in that form. No one really knows, all i know is that i feel like i've waiting 3 years for a new chapter. (has it been 3 years since the latest release in that magazine? i don't remember haha been too long.) but yah…heres to hoping it happens. haha

• @Hizumi:

In the end, if we all buy like 6 copies of the dvds maybe we could fun the next anime ourselves :P hahaha

How much influence towards a series do foriegn sales have? If we did all buy loads of HOTD merchandise would it actually have any impact on the Japanese end of things? I've never been sure about how the system works.

• There's no evidence to suggest that zombies are not well-received in Japan

• I was only repeating what I'd heard elsewhere; though now that I think about it, it was on an anime discussion board full of people arguing over whether Bleach or Naruto is better on a website I'd rather not talk about… And it probably isn't the most reliable source of information.