Funimation Concentration Proposal

• Ok, I want to preface this with this, I like Funimation and their dubs and this is not a complaint so much as a thought provoker, hopefully. I greatly enjoy shows here. To those that may hate on this post, or try to prove me wrong, its not worth your time to type because I don't know how much goes on behind the scenes like time restrictions or any other possible delay from the business sides, for I am mainly rebutting efficiency and profitability.

I thoroughly believe dubs are left seriously behind in many top trending shows. I am a huge fan of Fairy Tail. It is my favorite anime by far, however, I only enjoy the Dubs because I have sensitive ears. The subs are great for some but the fact is (as screwed up as some may think this is), the subs have too high pitched voices for me. I pay my monthly 8 bucks but I feel a little taken advantage of when dubs appear once every two months. I feel like I am probably not the only one who feels this way. I understand that there can be issues with quality and stuff like that, but I feel like Funi should provide time for that. I don't think dubs should take as long as they do, whether that means upping voice staff and development crews or some other way, Funimation top shows and trending shows should take main priority over up and comings or less popular shows. That may mean Funimation takes more time to dub the less popular, but if these shows begin to grow in popularity then Funi could easily shift resources around to accommodate this growth. Popular and trending shows are Funimation's true money makers. Don't focus on redubbing and promoting shows like Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. I believe it is a waste of time and resources, especially since many already have free places to get them from with relatively high quality. No, I am not promoting or supporting these sites but the fact is they exist. So promoting those is a sincere waste of resources that could be used to fund and develop the dubs of top trending shows. This could also boost Funi revenue gained by beating competition of low quality and/or low budget dub websites which many people turn to when Funimation dubs take two months or more. Anime is becoming more popular, but the time it takes for Funimation to release the popular dubs, already sacrifices many viewers to those shadier dubbed websites. I boldly suggest Funi focuses as much time and voice actor/ess' to the true money makers. I would hate to see Funimation go out of business because there is too much focus on the less popular and less profitable shows. I hope this was thought provoking, insightful and (hopefully) excellent feedback.

• I boldly suggest Funi focuses as much time and voice actor/ess' to the true money makers.

At last report, that was Dragon ball Z. ;P

• this has been an unusually slow month for new dubbed material for the site. luckily, the schedule shows that it's going back to normal in two weeks. they are a big company, and can multitask. they have several recording booths and I'm sure they are going as fast as each individuals schedule will allow.

• I'm on the other side of the fence of this subject. Personally, I would like FUNI to introduce more sub-only titles. I feel not every anime needs a dub. Sure, go ahead and dub the popular series for the masses as we all know this is where the money is for FUNI. But I would like to see FUNI pick up little to lesser known titles for those fans, such as myself, who just enjoy a good anime, whether it's sub or dub. There are a lot of small gems (anime) out there that gets no love because publishers don't pick them up.

I'll admit, I prefer sub over dub. I enjoy Japanese voice actors for most anime/manga projects. Not taking anything away from FUNI's voice actors. In fact, FUNI actors are my favorite in the industry. The reason I subbed FUNI is because of their writers and voice actors. Best in the industry, bar none. Though, it would be nice if more sub-only titles were added to the catalog. The amount of unlicensed content is staggering. I feel more titles whether sub or dub would be a good thing for FUNI and their community.

To be honest, it takes a lot of time to dub an entire series/season. I completely understand as to why it takes FUNI months to push out new dub content. Post-production and distribution of any (anime) project can be a lot of work and no joke if one is serious about their business. No matter what the amount FUNI has invested in a project, is no guarantee the work will be profitable. So choosing dub projects wisely is in FUNI's best interest financially. I don't want to see FUNI go under for making wrong decisions. Hence why I believe adding more sub-only content helps.

I remember last year, FUNI introduced the idea of adding sub-only content to the community. I was all for it and still am, but the community called "foul" and gave FUNI a lashing for even thinking about it. For even suggesting it. Most called FUNI "cheap" for wanting to introduce sub-only content. So FUNI tested the water with sub-only OniAi. While I'm not sure if the anime did well in the sub-only category, I personally enjoyed it. A gem of an comedy-based anime.

• Even if a show is "top trending" on streaming services it's not exactly a money maker, Funimation's profits come from selling physical copies of those DVDs and BDs.

• @josefhiggins Just because you want more sub only content, does not mean we are on opposite sides of the fence. I believe there should be more of that. I may not like it but many anime fans do like subs. In fact, that would be a profitable endeavor, especially if more started out that way so that dubs could be more efficient. Sub only content would be an excellent test for the potential to dub. Community be damned, just because they do not see the merit in that, does not mean it isn't a profitable venture. In general, more content would mean more potential viewers. Picking up the unlicensed content would potentially double profits. Especially when many have looked for publication only to be turned down quite a bit. This means less competition and maybe less expense when picking them up.

• @st0ck Selling of physical copies is becoming less profitable in general, whether it be Funi or many main stream movies and TV shows. This is especially true with the growth of Redbox and Netflix. Money no longer lies in physical copies but rather streaming and electronic versions.

• No offense, but I think it's pretty silly to assume you know what's better for the company when you have basically zero relevant information about sales figures, market trends, demographics, licensing contracts, or actual production costs.

• What Renzo said. Unless you actually work for FUNimation and have direct insider access to their sales records and profits, then any statements or claims you could make regarding where they get the majority of their income from are nothing more than baseless assumptions. And you know what they say about people who assume: they make an "ass" out of "u" and "me". :P

Meanwhile, Sophie - who does actually work for FUNimation - has specifically come on this site before and told us that FUNimation does indeed get the majority of it's profits from physical media. And no offense, but I think I'm gonna take her word over yours for the time being.

I also find it rather ironic that you suggest FUNimation should focus more on their "popular" titles and yet ignore Dragon Ball Z, when that show is by far their single most popular franchise. It doesn't matter if it's readily available on a thousand different illegal streaming sites; that show still sells like hotcakes, and unlike most other anime franchises, it actually has a market outside of the typical anime fan. So to tell FUNi to just ignore Dragon Ball and focus on other shows would be like telling Hershey to stop selling chocolate or Kraft to stop selling cheese.

As for getting dubs out quicker, I assure you that FUNimation would love nothing more than to have every single episode of Fairy Tail out on store shelves right now, but it's a lot more complicated than just dubbing the episodes. They first have to obtain licensing rights, then get their hands on materials, then do script adaptation, then cast actors for any new roles, then record the actors, then make necessary edits, THEN record any do-over lines, THEN make more necessary edits, THEN time and encode the audio so that it matches up to the animation footage, and THEN send the audio off to production so that they can master the disc, and from there there's a whole lot MORE stuff to do in order to get the physical discs and the digital streaming files ready before you can let the fans see them. And to be honest, I'm GLAD FUNimation takes their time to dub things. If you've ever watched a Sentai Filmworks dub, they tend to rush through things at a breakneck pace, and the overall dub quality really suffers for it. FUNi at least makes sure all the lip flaps match, all the characters are properly cast (most of the time, at least), and that there are no accidental outtakes or flubs left in the final product.

So no, I don't agree with you. For the most part, I think FUNimation's process is working fine. Methinks you need to be a bit more patient, grasshopper. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• I don't think there's any harm in suggesting that they spread out dubbed episodes for a single series to release on a weekly basis, similar to what they do for all their simulcasts

It can be pretty daunting for episodes 3-12 to all come out on the same Tuesday after there's about two weeks of nothing (or in April's case, a whole month of nothing). I don't think staggering it to one (or two) dubbed episodes per week would decrease sales either, unless there's some evidence that Deadman Wonderland suffered sales due to the Toonami weekly release

The fact is that the dubbed release is often prepared and ready far before the actual release, and most of the time between the simulcast and the official release gets put into authoring the discs and putting together the packaging for the physical releases, plus whatever timing restrictions they face, rather than the actual writing and recording. I don't think it would be any problem at all if they staggered single episodes for dubs on a weekly basis rather than blowing their load all at once two weeks before the physical release

• As long as the dubbed episode were released online after their physical release so as to minimize sales cannibalization, it might be worth considering.

• I don't think that's much of a concern, since most dubs are already released on the site about two weeks before the physical release. I don't think something like the Deadman Wonderland dub on Toonami undermined the DVD sales a few months later, either

• Ima kinda agree with spaceman there. Unless funimation decide to show people public posting detail figures of some type with time and date stamps then believing what anyone says (even a funi employee / Ann / wikipedia / etc) is dumb. Everyone has a different interpurtation of good and bad.

• @Riles:

I don't think there's any harm in suggesting that they spread out dubbed episodes for a single series to release on a weekly basis, similar to what they do for all their simulcasts

The problem with that is that it assumes: A, dubs are produced chronologically episode-by-episode; or that B, dubs could regularly be produced on a weekly basis.

I don't think either of those is actually very feasible, TBH.

• the only show that I'm aware of where each episode can be successfully dubbed in a week is Naruto Shippuden

• @Renzokuken:

The problem with that is that it assumes: A, dubs are produced chronologically episode-by-episode; or that B, dubs could regularly be produced on a weekly basis.

I don't think either of those is actually very feasible, TBH.

You could argue against that by pointing to Space Dandy, but neither of those things relate to what I'm suggesting

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that the dub of a complete series is completed months before it actually hits shelves, if voice actor commentaries are to be believed. It doesn't need to be dubbed chronologically to be completed and available long before the physical release (which, shows are almost never dubbed chronologically, since they dub series from character to character, rather than episode to episode). I don't know if you're using the word 'produced' as a reference to the production of the dub, or the release of one to the site

It's not like episode 1 has to be available 12 weeks before the physical release, either. The dub can start something, like, six weeks in advance and split the series between pre-and-post-release. Or, they can upload weekly in the same way as their non-simulcast shows like Fairy Tail and Index II, by way of releasing two episodes a week

Providing a little more stagger to the dub release schedule for EVS members would at least somewhat help the problem of there being a long drought of nothing before a sudden influx of dubs to have available for marathonning

• "Marathoning" is probably a bigger problem.

Go outside, people! ;P

• Just seeing the mention of concentration, I think more time should be put into QC and general quality assurance of products. From what I've seen with some recent releases like Heaven's Lost Property Anime Classics edition, things like BD slipcovers on DVD cases shouldn't be happening. For whoever is working in Quality Assurance, please pay more attention to these things…. and if it's not that team at fault, SOMETHING needs to change so that we see these kinds of issues occurring far less than they seem to be recently.

Four other fairly recent issues including:

• the brightness of the retail Lain BDs being much higher than the original masters (JPN release),
    • the censored TV release of Sankarea on the original BD release,
    • the issue with the original print run of Psycho Pass boxes, and
    • the low-res artwork seen on the We Without Wings box set.

While some of these issues have been resolved, they shouldn't happen in the first place. If acquisitions does their due diligence in discussing all the materials available for license in North America and makes certain with the JPN licensor that they have all the content, the Quality Control department makes sure that all colour checking is correct on boxes / the correct content was sent to the mastering studio / the final retail version looks like the source material, etc, etc. people wouldn't need to worry about the aforementioned issues AND FUNimation would save a TON of money and time on issues that shouldn't happen in the first place.

There WAS a time when I could look at any FUNimation release and deem it as the definitive or at least a release with quality video, audio, etc., but now whether or not the release is a good one is far more up to discussion - only when the final product is on the shelves can I say that FUNimation put out a good release, where before I would have looked upon the release as a FUNimation "Seal of Quality".

SIDE NOTE: Beyond these recent issues however, one thing that annoys me is that previously licensed content (from other NA distributors) is not included in FUNimation's releases. While some of these are not necessarily "essential" (like having ADV Notes from originally ADV licensed titles like Excel Saga), what happened to things like the OVA from the first season of Shana? Where did it go and why is the S1 re-release labelled "Complete" when the OVA url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6821] is not included (and in no other Shana release from FUNimation for that matter)?
    –-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might post this somewhere else later if no one responds since I'm genuinely curious as to what's going on with this seemingly deteriorating focus on quality control, so if someone can give any insight into this, it'd be much appreciated.

• Yeah Firewire, although you raise a good point, that's technically a derail from this topic's discussion. If you don't mind posting all that in its own separate topic, that'd be great.

• Thank you Riles. That was what I was trying to get at. And just because I do not have specific access to Funimation finances doesn't mean I cannot project where the market is going. The mark of any good investor is knowing where a market is headed. And agreeing with Riles again on the point that staggering would be a much more effective sales tactic than "blowing the load two weeks before physical release". And I dare anyone to challenge the ideology of marathoning. The problem is the addiction of "I want to know what happens next". That is literally trying to fight the human nature. Unless people don't have the time or are restricted by another force, they will marathon a show. One of the main reasons why TV shows go weekly is to keep a constant audience. This also works in favor of the viewer too. It keeps viewers not feeling deprived so much of their favorite shows. Plus, it keeps an audience for a longer period and keeps it fresh. I.e., The Game of Thrones has a massive viewer base, the issue with that is it takes an entire year to make ten episodes. This has led to a large decline in the rate of their viewer base growing. Don't get me wrong, the reason I am a member here IS because Funimation has great quality. And when I am talking of DB, DBZ and DBGT, Redubs are unnecessary, NOT a remastering of the quality. Unless they ARE making new episodes of DB, DBZ or DBGT, redubs should be kept to a minimum. And when I spoke of sites that contain all of DB sagas, I was talking SPECIFICALLY about Funi's DB sagas. Its not like it is another dubbing company. That's why Funi shouldn't waste resources. DB Sagas may be one of the largest sellers but it also is probably a huge profit drainer as well. Quite honestly, The voice acting in DB Sagas is already awesome, the only complaint that happens often with any show anywhere is increasing the video quality as new tech comes out that makes the old picture look not quite as good as it did when the last piece of tech came out enhancing video quality. And Funi should take their time to assure quality. That IS what makes consumers happy, and what keeps them returning. I am among that category myself.

• First of all, FUNimation does focus on the "money makers". Rule of 80/20.

Secondly, while I agree that there should be prioritization (and there is! ^_^), I don't agree with the example. DBZ has only been redubbed by FUNimation once(?), Dragon Ball only has the one dub from us, Dragon Ball GT has one dub that's been done for years, and DBZKai has also only been dubbed once.

Yes, DBZ has been re-released several times in multiple formats, but the dubs are done and are not likely to be redubbed, so nothing of the Dragon Ball franchise even affects the current dub schedule. It's also been an incredibly long time since anything has gotten a redub since it's usually not profitable to do and is only done if it is believed that a redub is the only way to make a show profitable.

As for what should be dubbed when, that is all determined by the Physical Release Schedule, which is set by Management. The schedule is based on a bunch of factors, including logistical ones, and is built in such a way as to make each show as profitable as possible.

If you would like a staggered digital dub release, you can always drop a line at www.funimation.com/support. That will get it to the people that make those kinds of decisions.

Out of curiosity, which shows do you believe should be focused on?

[[topic:guest-login-reply]]