The Entitled Anime Fan

• The Entitled Anime Fan by NeonWalrus

I present to you the entitled anime fan!

Evangelion needs to come out now! Funimation's trailers are stupid!

I don’t care if this fall has a new Fate series, a Psycho-Pass season 2, and Monogatari series coming; the season is ruined because there’s another Ikkitousen! How dare they exercise their freedom to make a show I refuse to watch!

Anime is so damn expensive even though the Japanese fans who live in the country that make it pay way more for it than I do, it should be cheaper here! And why should I have to pay for a subscription?

• Beautiful, simply beautiful!

• Ah yes, those kind of anime fans, just makes me wanna…

• I read that in the kid's voice

• Wow…didn't realize NeonWalrus was a such a [insult removed].

Be nice or no pudding. - SH

• @axlegear83:

Wow…didn't realize NeonWalrus was a such a [insult removed].

Obviously you don't realize how self-absorbed & spoiled you are either, posts like that are grounds for a ban kid. :p

• "Kid," says the [homophobic slur removed] with the MLP avatar…I swear, you people make it TOO easy.

• @axlegear83:

"Kid," says the [homophobic slur removed] with the MLP avatar…I swear, you people make it TOO easy.

You're adorable. Your reply does nothing but prove my point, note your posts have been reported to the moderators and will be dealt with shortly.

You have a lot of growing up to do son, I hope someday you can learn to be a better anime fan & a better person.

• @axlegear83:

nope

There’s nothing wrong with this new MLP series, it’s actually pretty good, however; I think you need to reframe from insulting the other users and using outdated words, you’re beef is with me. I will try and remain as diplomatic as I can in the duration of this post.

@axlegear83:

nuh-uh

I think you mean “Self Righteous [rooster noise].” The proper gendered insult for a difficult [fart sound] like me is “[rooster].” “[feminine "OH MY" sound]” is reserved for unpleasant and insufferable women; so for example, my abusive ex-girlfriend would qualify.

As far as insults go, I’m sorry, but you’ll have to do better because I’ve dealt with worse; a lot worse. I’ve actually checked my message box on one of my other forums and guess what? I received my first death threat, I’m sure it’s a troll, but it was someone on another forum from Scotland accusing me of thinking that I’m hot shit because of how I talk about anime in some of my posts. You know? I didn’t even write a joke thread like this one, I just expressed my thoughts on a few anime, and they were positive thoughts too.

It’s unfortunate that you feel offended by my post, however; there’s no need to feel insulted because I wrote it in good fun. I’m actually poking fun at other types of fans as well and I’m not referencing you specifically in it, however; if that shoe fits, feel free to wear it.

The slide where I reference Evangelion was actually from an experience I had in person with another fan who, and I am not exaggerating; threw a temper tantrum because of the delay of Evangelion. I even went as far as to suggest that she her look into Psycho – Pass or Puella Magi Madoka Magica in the meantime and she said to me; “[dolphin noise] you, nothing else will ever be as good as Evangelion.”

So, I’m going to be clear and repeat what I had said before about Evangelion; it sucks that the release has been delayed, it sucks that Funimation has not disclosed any information. What we as fans need to understand is that Funimation might not be in a position to disclose any information at this point possibly because the company in Japan said not yet. Point is, what’s happening is probably not Funimation’s fault, but what we can count on is an eventual release of the series.

It’s called being patient; there are a ton of other shows to check out until then. You like Evangelion; might I suggest Gargantia streaming on Crunchyroll? Or perhaps Eureka 7 which I hear is really good and is out this month on Blu-ray?

There’s other stuff to watch, it’s not the end of the world and the state of anime isn’t doomed because Evangelion is being delayed.

EDIT: Don't respond to bad language with more bad language. Don't sink down to their level. - SH

• "Wanting anime titles to go a certain way." = "Being an entitled anime fan."

That last guy from long ago had it right when he said that trolls like these ruined the overall anime-watching experience.

• @Hectotane:

"Wanting anime titles to go a certain way." = "Being an entitled anime fan."

That last guy from long ago had it right when he said that trolls like these ruined the overall anime-watching experience.

Yeah it's sad, people whining constantly about what X company is or isn't doing to personally appease them ruin the fanbase…

As horrible and childish as most act, as mean as it sounds, would serve the fans right if the North Ameican anime industry just went belly up all together. If all you are going to do is bite or insult the hands that feed you, no need for set hand to keep giving you food.

• @Soundmonkey44:

As horrible and childish as most act, as mean as it sounds, would serve the fans right if the North Ameican anime industry just went belly up all together. If all you are going to do is bite or insult the hands that feed you, no need for set hand to keep giving you food.

Well, I do think such an idea is quite excessive especially since most fans understand issue the North American distributors have to deal with, or at least just shrug off a delay or accept the fact that there will be no more seasons of their favorite show. Point is, there are many fans who understand that life goes on beyond their media consumption.

The issue is that the people who are the most miserable are the most vocal; naïve idealism, toxic cynicism, ridiculous double standards, and overindulgent entitlement - you name it, the constant complaining of the state of the anime industry; it’s all gets old and grating.

Despite the undesirable sentiment from a vocal minority, I don’t wish or think even for a moment that the industry in North America going the way of the dinosaur would serve anyone right.

The best, most constructive and fun thing we can do is make smart-ass threads like this one poking fun at the negative, cynical and entitled fans.

• But … but - I want FUNI to make Rosario + Vampire season 3. Is that too much to ask? While they're at it, throw in season 3 of Strike Witches. XD

On a serious note - I do find it funny on both sides of the fence.

On one side, you have veteran anime fans who probably have been watching anime for decades. But instead of educating and enhancing the anime community, they choose to insult and ridicule new blood to the community. All the while complaining that the anime community is heading down the drain.

On the other side we have new anime fans. These guys/gals probably seen Attack on Titan and LOVED IT. They want more. They want to know more. They want to experience more of what anime has to offer. They have questions … a lot of question. Questions that seem to upset the veterans. Questions like, "when is FUNI making the second season of [insert anime title here]?". Not knowing FUNI is a NA publisher, not an anime creator. But this doesn't stop the veterans from ripping this poor noob a new one and/or locking their threads for asking such a idiotic question.

The anime community (especially FUNI's community) is like watching a cycle of growth and implosion. It's all comical to say the least.

• @josefhiggins:

On one side, you have veteran anime fans who probably have been watching anime for decades.

I wouldn’t say decades, but for a few years, I got into anime 12 years ago now when I think about it.

@josefhiggins:

But instead of educating and enhancing the anime community, they choose to insult and ridicule new blood to the community.

Some of us do write long lecture posts, some of us try to empathize and sometimes that works, and sometimes people keep complaining. There’s also this thread that had raised some controversy here: http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?1061-Do-NOT-Ask-For-Future-Seasons-of-Anime
    Whether anyone agrees with the tone of the introductory post isn’t the point; the fact of the matter is that the information contained there is relevant and should provide answers to many questions.

@josefhiggins:

All the while complaining that the anime community is heading down the drain.

My issue is some of the rampant cynicism and idealism I’ve dealt with or witnessed on various forums and sites. When a newer fan complains, or asks a silly question, it can be chalked up to ignorance and lack of knowledge of the industry and I can brush it off as they don’t know any better and they will learn. The point is many of them can be reasoned with by conveying some information their way.

I find there are a few longtime fans that internalize their bitterness and allow their cynicism to become their identity are some of the most unpleasant to deal with, or read post or hear podcasts from. It doesn’t matter that each season of new anime has a massive range of shows that will appeal to many different types of fans; these people would rather complain about the shows they have no desire to watch and at times, insult fans of said shows or worse yet, accuse them of slowly eradicating the industry for buying some random harem show.

I’m not mentioning names, but there are some figureheads that I have a strong dislike for due to their behavioral conduct and what they’ve said and written.

@josefhiggins:

On the other side we have new anime fans. These guys/gals probably seen Attack on Titan and LOVED IT.

Attack on Titan is a pretty good show, yes, I feel there were some issues with the execution and at times the direction it took, but I still liked watching it. Not everything has to be Puella Magi Madoka Magica or Fate/Zero to be good or enjoyable to watch.

Now, do I think Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero are better and more enjoyable to watch than Attack on Titan? Sure, and I can come up with all sorts of evidence to prove it, from how PMMM and F/Z are better written with better developed characters and a more engaging story, but; guess what?

At the end of the day, it’s only my opinion, and the evidence I come up with only amounts to why I enjoyed certain shows more so than others. It’s not and never should be about trying to tell or imply to other people their tastes are inferior in any way because they prefer certain shows over another’s personal favorites.

@josefhiggins:

Questions that seem to upset the veterans. Questions like, "when is FUNI making the second season of [insert anime title here]?". Not knowing FUNI is a NA publisher, not an anime creator. But this doesn't stop the veterans from ripping this poor noob a new one and/or locking their threads for asking such a idiotic question.

I agree that some of the users get treated harshly at times, I’ve seen it, if it means anything, when I’ve addressed these questions I always have done so in a diplomatic manner along with a few of the other users here.

This comedic thread I started has to do with poking fun at fans that are entitled who seem to do nothing more than complain; not new fans who lack the understanding of how the industry works.

• Oh nice, someone created a stupid dumb thread about threads people have started recently and then added pictures in a satirical manner. I could not be happier that this sarcasm exists and I am glad that there is somebody out there fighting the good fight by way of passive aggressively making fun of people that don't know better

I am thrilled that somebody thought this warranted their own thread and couldn't have just been a post in one of the several threads that are actually being entitled, because we certainly wouldn't want someone to confuse an elitist post in an entitled thread

• ^taking things way too seriously, just like the entitled fans that are being made fun of in a completely harmless way

• @josefhiggins:

On a serious note - I do find it funny on both sides of the fence.

As do I.

@josefhiggins:

On one side, you have veteran anime fans who probably have been watching anime for decades. But instead of educating and enhancing the anime community, they choose to insult and ridicule new blood to the community. All the while complaining that the anime community is heading down the drain.

It all depends on the situation the individuals are in. If you "x" manga/anime fan(s) is debating on a forum about a certain manga/anime, which has been airing on television or has numerous volumes of books in various book/online stores, then they need to be prepared for any sort of response in regards to their statements within their post. It is common for people to misunderstand the context or tone of another person post was trying to convey. Misunderstanding is one of the top reasons some people start bashing, flaming, trolling, etc, other people on forums.

@josefhiggins:

On the other side we have new anime fans. These guys/gals probably seen Attack on Titan and LOVED IT. They want more. They want to know more. They want to experience more of what anime has to offer. They have questions … a lot of question. Questions that seem to upset the veterans. Questions like, "when is FUNI making the second season of [insert anime title here]?". Not knowing FUNI is a NA publisher, not an anime creator. But this doesn't stop the veterans from ripping this poor noob a new one and/or locking their threads for asking such a idiotic question.

Not understanding how a process works isn't going to stop anyone in life from taking their frustration out on you. Even if you do understand how a process works, people will still complain about something you may have said in real life or typed up in a post on a forum/blog. As individuals, people have to learn how to not take every word or statement from other people seriously.

As for the newbies asking questions on the Funimation forums, some of the standard questions being asked are repetitive to the point that the Funimation staff adds the questions to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section for quick access for everyone to see. If people don't bother to try and check the FAQ, blog, or other threads for answers to their questions before asking on the forums, then expect to be treated as every other user on the forum. Even if they do try to research the answer to their question and couldn't find it, they should be treated the same as every other user on the forum.

What I don't understand is why people complain about "not being educated" about certain issue(s), when everyone else don't know all of the answers to the questions being asked either. Various of people on this forum and other forums, usually have the same source for information about various topics being discussed. Majority of these sources can be found by using an online search engine. So why do people continue to use the phrase "not being educated" as an excuse for not understanding the topic being discussed?

• @7jaws7:

^taking things way too seriously, just like the entitled fans that are being made fun of in a completely harmless way

Individuals that support jokes of extreme prejudice are taking things way too lightly

• Prejudice against people who act horrible is arguably justified.

If people act horrible to others and act like spoiled entitled brats & man-children then others have no responsibility to treat them with respect.

The anime fanbase has far to many whiny, entitled, spoiled, sexist , man-children. And too many people that don't even try to understand how the industry works. It gets real old, real fast when you have to put up with it for a number of years.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Prejudice against people who act horrible is arguably justified.

Who's acting horrible? Was it an individual that said they should give some show a third season? Is being misinformed considered horrible now?

Is it justified to act horrible to someone after they act horrible to someone who gave them a snarky and somewhat rude reply? When does the flow change from unjustified to justified? Is it when you yourself are the one that's been attacked, regardless of the contents of your prior comment? Are horrible messages against me justified now that I've said something horrible against a thread that I feel is unjustified?