Funimation should stop pointless dubbing/subbing

• I'm getting fed up of all these amazing animes like, The Sacred Blacksmith, Kamisama Kiss, Spice and Wolf and Okami-san and Her Seven Companions to say just a few getting dubbed and leaving other great animes being undubbed for long periods.

What I mean is unless the series is promised to be completed and thus a set amount of seasons and or movies to conclude the show/manga as complete than funimation should not even acquire the license to dub or even sub as it's wasted on unfinished work that will probably never be finished all because Japan's viewers didn't care enough for it and funimation has already stated that japan does not care about it's viewers in other countries enjoyment of a dead series in japan, so why should funimation care to support dead series and give them money for a show that will never be complete.

Don't get me wrong they are many great series but unfinished they just leave you with a bad taste in your mouth expecting more knowing it will never come. and also do not get me wrong I know the lack of the complete series has 0 to do with funimation, what I am suggesting is that funimation ceases purchases unless they get a promise that the series will be completed for the "English" viewer base based off of likeness at the very least. I don't think it's to much to ask for funimation to request on purchase of the license to distribute the series that they can get a promise to complete from the production team if sales/view count is good in the NA.

I mean they have SO many unfinished; never to be finished animes for sale/hosted on there website it's not even funny.

• It's not up to Funimation whether or not a story is complete. Oftentimes, it's also not even up to the original studio that animated the story as to whether or not the story will be completed

Not licensing shows for an English release because they aren't complete would mean that Funimation would only license Dragon Ball Z, and, like, that's pretty much it

• I'd rather have these shows than not.

• So basically your telling them to not pick up anything?

Hmm, I'm OK with that, anime business is dying in the states anyway, time to jump ship and start distributing cheesy retro horror films instead!!!!

• @visoredavenger:

I'd rather have these shows than not.

I know what you mean it's really just upsetting having such great time watching these, even emotionally connecting with said characters only to be torn away from them because Japan's viewer base didn't care enough for the show to actually be completed even if the manga continued to the end or is even still on going. I enjoyed all the animes I have seen some way more than others… like Kanon was wow just wow and so was clannad but at least they had justifiable endings and yes could have gone on but it was at least a decent ending that left you somewhat satisfied. I wish I never gave some of these animes the light of day only because of there abrupt unfinished end with to many plot holes still left open.

• It's quite common for TV shows not to have solid ends. Think of it this way, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey!

• @s32ialx:

I know what you mean it's really just upsetting having such great time watching these, even emotionally connecting with said characters only to be torn away from them because Japan's viewer base didn't care enough for the show to actually be completed even if the manga continued to the end or is even still on going. I enjoyed all the animes I have seen some way more than others… like Kanon was wow just wow and so was clannad but at least they had justifiable endings and yes could have gone on but it was at least a decent ending that left you somewhat satisfied. I wish I never gave some of these animes the light of day only because of there abrupt unfinished end with to many plot holes still left open.

Well I just buy them and hope that one day the execs at the studios will see fit to bring back shows. No one really knew if Fairy Tail would come back. When I was on CR they said it constantly was low in the ratings but surprise it came back!

They plan to run the Kenichi OVAs on TV in Japan. I believe this is to test to see if there is a market for the series to return to air.

If FUNi doesn't go ahead an dub then they would be really behind. Looks like the days of "long runners" are over. Now it's run, hiatus see how the home release sales go then maybe come back.

• @Soundmonkey44:

It's quite common for TV shows not to have solid ends. Think of it this way, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey!

I guess I am too used to American cartoons being a mid 80's to 90's kid and shows just going on for longer then 12-25 episodes even if the quality severely lacked that of Japaneses art and story, I mean even pokemon, monster rancher, digimon, Dragonball and sailormoon (which in comparison to a lot of the short end of the stick animes) had seasons upon seasons for years of enjoyment and some (digimon and pokemon) are still getting a following and new episodes to this date; compared to even the movie Akria from the 80's they lack highly in animation and story but are such big hits, it really goes to show what the masses thought process really is about.

I mean look at rug rats that lasted for how long? even dug or hey arnold… those shows were garbage compared to most of the animes out there.

• @s32ialx:

what I am suggesting is that funimation ceases purchases unless they get a promise that the series will be completed for the "English" viewer base based off of likeness at the very least. I don't think it's to much to ask for funimation to request on purchase of the license to distribute the series that they can get a promise to complete from the production team if sales/view count is good in the NA.

there is no way they can do that. The folks in Japan don't know how well a show is going to sell or if a another season is going to be able to happen or not. what you are suggesting they do would mean that they would hardly every license anything, and it would screw over people who really want those shows but cant buy them due to one less anime distributor in the market

• @Getchman:

there is no way they can do that. The folks in Japan don't know how well a show is going to sell or if a another season is going to be able to happen or not. what you are suggesting they do would mean that they would hardly every license anything, and it would screw over people who really want those shows but cant buy them due to one less anime distributor in the market

in all honesty, wasting the time to dub those series is more likely to break their bank than not wasting the money to purchase the license to sub/dub distribute, japan companies should just stop animating series unless the are planning on trucking it out to the end. I was always taught growing up to never do things half way and to always see them threw to the end, I'm amazed at them for hardly seeing any of there works threw to the end and yet they are so successful it really makes me wonder maybe linux should not bother with completing there work and game companies should only do half of the game and sell it as is to the public and maybe people would be just as complacent as us viewers to these shows.

• @s32ialx:

in all honesty, wasting the time to dub those series is more likely to break their bank than not wasting the money to purchase the license to sub/dub distribute,

no, its not. twice a year, two execs from Funi are guests on anime news network's podcast, ANNCast, and they talk about all kinds of things. one subject that is always brought up is how well stuff is selling. on their last appearance before the end of 2013, everything was selling better than expected. people are buying these shows despite being incomplete.

• @s32ialx:

I guess I am too used to American cartoons being a mid 80's to 90's kid and shows just going on for longer then 12-25 episodes even if the quality severely lacked that of Japaneses art and story, I mean even pokemon, monster rancher, digimon, Dragonball and sailormoon (which in comparison to a lot of the short end of the stick animes) had seasons upon seasons for years of enjoyment and some (digimon and pokemon) are still getting a following and new episodes to this date; compared to even the movie Akria from the 80's they lack highly in animation and story but are such big hits, it really goes to show what the masses thought process really is about.

I mean look at rug rats that lasted for how long? even dug or hey arnold… those shows were garbage compared to most of the animes out there.

I want to point out everything wrong with this post…but I don't want to get over an argument over difference in opinion.

Staying on topic. Long or short most American toons don't have real endings either, animation in general just kind of...stops. And most of the time the anime that do get legit end are the short ones.

PS. Most anime have horrible writing too, they just hide it behind pretty girls with shiny skin & beautiful backgrounds. XD

Seriously though every form of entertainment has it's gold stars and it's turds, anime is not superior to domestic animation, and cartoons are not superior to anime, it's all about preference... Both have a history of limited animation & cutting corners, anime just has more detail, which can be both a good & bad thing, many times it can just end up an overglorified motion comic.

But I'm rambling..so I digress.

Edit: Hey Arnold was a spectacularly well written slice of life cartoon. How anyone fails to realize that is beyond me. I know I said I wouldn't argue, but seriously, sayin Hey Arnold is garbage is like saying Annoying Orange is actually good....it's just....WRONG!!!

• @Getchman:

no, its not. twice a year, two execs from Funi are guests on anime news network's podcast, ANNCast, and they talk about all kinds of things. one subject that is always brought up is how well stuff is selling. on their last appearance before the end of 2013, everything was selling better than expected. people are buying these shows despite being incomplete.

Well I guess that is good news for them because I would hate to see FUNi disappear but I just wish NA had some influence over these animation departments in japan, because IMHO pokemon and the likes even DB (which was good but not as good as many shows) are being broadcasted here and are just pointless shows with very little thought put in to them and poor art and names at that. The could produce more shows with better life lessons / slice of life style shows that would do way better in our market than that but they just don't. I mean you can't honestly say Pokemon, DB and Sailormoon were the greatest hits to be as long as they were hell even One Piece is getting off 600+ episodes already and half of them are already dubbed…. I mean Fairy Tail is better than One Piece but still compared to a lot of animes it's not that special but it's art and story is pretty good to leaving me wanting to know more. I know what I am asking could be a lot and might not be even possible, but I mean what did the NA Otaku ever do to japan to deserve it's opinion on whats good to not matter :( money should never be the deciding factor. :P

• @s32ialx:

money should never be the deciding factor.

But it is. Plain and simple.

So you might as well get used to it.

• @Soundmonkey44:

I want to point out everything wrong with this post…but I don't want to get over an argument over difference in opinion.

Staying on topic. Long or short most American toons don't have real endings either, animation in general just kind of...stops. And most of the time the anime that do get legit end are the short ones.

PS. Most anime have horrible writing too, they just hide it behind pretty girls with shiny skin & beautiful backgrounds. XD

Seriously though every form of entertainment has it's gold stars and it's turds, anime is not superior to domestic animation, and cartoons are not superior to anime, it's all about preference... Both have a history of limited animation & cutting corners, anime just has more detail, which can be both a good & bad thing, many times it can just end up an overglorified motion comic.

But I'm rambling..so I digress.

Edit: Hey Arnold was a spectacularly well written slice of life cartoon. How anyone fails to realize that is beyond me. I know I said I wouldn't argue, but seriously, sayin Hey Arnold is garbage is like saying Annoying Orange is actually good....it's just....WRONG!!!

I will admit that you are correct that most "cartoons" have no actual ending but they also really had no story to follow where as most animes have a starting story where they have a point to an end with usually 1 of two outcomes for example kanon you had a boy that went back to a town where he grew up in the summer months lost his memory of anything that happened there. and met a old girl friend of his and I won't leave anything to spoilly but at a later episodes you end up getting really emotional finding out something horrible and you wonder how will the story end good or bad!? is what happened really what happen :'( but if you haven't seen it and are in to romantic animes then watch it.

come on I will admit that some of the SoL that Hey Arnold has was good but the animations were hard on the eyes and the voice's esp of ones like Helga were just like someone was stabbing me in the ear kinda like Luffy (when screaming esp) and Usopp from One Piece.

• @SpacemanHardy:

But it is. Plain and simple.

So you might as well get used to it.

Well I do get that and am used to it, but our money could and should help influence there decisions regardless I mean many of us dedicate ourselves to their culture, the onion quoted once "Report: 58% Of World’s Japanese Speakers White 23-Year-Old American Males" http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-58-of-worlds-japanese-speakers-white-23year,35690/

but regardless of the Onion News ;) a ton of us love there culture and appreciate it more then our own heritage they could at least show us some compassion when deciding what shows get canceled.

• Your tolerance for animated voices is very low it seems, perhaps your in the wrong business, so to speak. :p

Arnold's animation may have been simplistic but it still worked. And cat least it had a visual identity of its own, something U.S, toons in general are much better at then anime which have the same generic designs over & over, anime seriously lacks visual diversity compared to American & European animation.

As far as story goes, in every form of media, depends on the show, again there is a fair share of good & bad in everything. Also depends on personal opinion/interest/perception.

Speaking of good slice of life anime Princess Jellyfish is pretty solid. And Tatami Galaxy is a nice, if not somewhat abstract series (and one of the few more visually creative series)

Edit: As for start & end points in anime VS cartoons, well most anime are based on pre-existing manga or Light novels, so basically they are just taking something that already exists & adding motion to it, instead of coming up with original ideas or new ideas for these existing franchises a good chunk of the time. (And when they do peeps complain about filler) So if the manga has a legit end, the anime, if it lasts long enough might as well.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Your tolerance for animated voices is very low it seems, perhaps your in the wrong business, so to speak. :p

I wouldn't go as far to say that I have seen a fair share of animes I've even watched every DB episode there is seen almost every Sailor Moon, quite a few pokemon series all of the original… seen all of monster rancher (was my favorite of the combat monster pet style anime) and most of digimon, FMA etc and well let's put it this way I've seen around 100 animes so far and I have nothing against the voice actors they have great voices in other works they have done but I just could not handle luffy and usopp, but I still continue to watch the nonsense sadly because I want to know if that annoying kid get's his hand on the one piece and if him and Nami get hooked because they have hinted a few times at a possible romance she has for him at least that's how it seemed a few times. I could not get in to yu gi oh or bakogon (or how ever it's spelt) or even bay blade's because those shows just annoyed me yu gi oh the most because it was like it was completely ripping off Magic the Gathering and making a show out of it.

but as for comparing animes to NA Toons I never put them in the same bowl I more compare anime to live action shows in NA. as well in live action most people look like PEOPLE xD.... and even in things like SG1 they have aliens and odd looking humanoid type beings but not football headed people... that are "human beings" or the cucumber head people lol...

I've always looked at animes as japan's version of "normal" TV shows were in NA we use real actors in japan they draw and use voice actors soon enough with the advancements in CGI NA wont even be using real people anymore for the acting just voice actors and cgi which is already how a lot of animes are being done and newer movies

• Anime is FAR from Japanese quivlant of "'NORMAL TV". Most are pretty Niche & otaku centric. The Mainstream anime are the children's shows & the Long runners like Detective Conan & one piece.

And personally I find comparing any kind of animation to live action an insult myself. Given how most live action programs in America are either very poorly written, or in the case of sitcoms, based on outdated gender/ethnic stereotypes , not to mention fairly simplified characters that are based on the same set of tropes cliches over & over & over and…ugg.

Now Britian, theres a country that can make good live action, give me Doctor Who over most of my American tripe any day.

Any who, I could write a whole thesis paper on everything wrong about television around the world, but I don't want to Tourture anyone tonight. I will respect your right to your opinion, and simply say I disagree, but hey, at the end of the day your still supporting animation in your own way, so that's good I guess...even if it is a somewhat limited one...but again, to each their own.

Good night, and good luck.

Edit: I hate typing on this damn iPad.

• Hey Arnold! was okay. Terrible, boring main character with an interesting supporting cast

• @Soundmonkey44:

Anime is FAR from Japanese quivlant of "'NORMAL TV". Most are pretty Niche & otaku centric.
    And personally I find comparing any kind of animation to live action an insult myself. Given how most live action programs in America are either very poorly written, or in the case of sitcoms, based on outdated gender/ethnic stereotypes , not to mention fairly simplified characters that are based on the same set of tropes cliches over & over & over and…ugg.

Well I agree touch typing esp on small screens is horrid, I have to say that most slice of life animes are about school life mostly highschool life in japan and usually from the females perspective "very as you said gender/ethnic stereotypical" thought I sadly never got a chance to visit japan don't know how true these slice of life animes are to the real thing but I can imagine that things like K-On happen or conversations like in lucky star, peach girl, even initial D etc seem more than possible cliches that happen in japan. granted I was more basing it off the fact that "normal tv" has story behind it (good or not, yes I know they had some horrible shows but shows like SG1 were amazing), and they voice's fit the roles as they do in anime (most of the time), but I still prefer to watch an animated series over anything NA has produced I'll even miss a new episode that is being aired at that very moment to watch an anime that's already finished years ago.

Also I know not all animes are realistic for example Chobit's or even Railgun… but those two shows are easily reproducible live action in fact almost any anime could be done live action not saying they would be any good I mean we all saw Dragon Balls big fail.