Would you be in favor of a some sort of rewards program by FUNimation?

• I was just looking at my collection of anime an noticed have heavy it is with FUNi anime and thought it would be cool if they had a rewards program sorta like "Club Nintendo" where you register the products and points towards merch, coupons for the Shop or even free Elite Subscriptions

• It would be awesome if they give us collectables or limited edition stuff like club Nintendo, I would defiantly buy more and FUNi would get more customers that way.

• That would definitely be a really cool idea, and I'd be wholly in support of such a thing! Just off the top of my head though, I can think of one concern that could possibly prevent such a thing, and that's rights' issues.

Disney and Nintendo outright own all of the things that you'd be able to get from their rewards system, whereas FUNimation licenses everything they put out from another owner in Japan. That could provide some kind of legal hang-up that could prevent them from putting show-based materials into a rewards program.

That's just me hypothesizing though. For all I actually know, they totally could do one with no issues if they wanted to.

• If they could work everything out right, then I'd be down with them doing some kind of system like that.

• Reminds me of the "Send in this postcard to win free stuff!" inserts in Funimation releases.

Does anyone send those in? Does anyone win? ;)

• Eh, sounds like a bad idea to me, may work for big companies like Disney, but would be too much of a hassle for a smaller cooperation like Funi.

• I'd be for it, if of course FUNimation could do it without getting in hot water like Gyt Kaliba brought up.

Perhaps they could offer some products featuring their Oni mascot, like bags, accessories, etc. That way they wouldn't have to pay licensing fees to any Japanese studios because Oni belongs completely to them.

Heck, I'd take an Oni plushie if one was offered.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Eh, sounds like a bad idea to me, may work for big companies like Disney, but would be too much of a hassle for a smaller cooperation like Funi.

Are you serious? FUNi will make more money because customers would want to buy more stuff to get rewards, including me there is a lot of people on Marriland forums (Pokémon forum) and IGN forums (Video game forum) that buy Nintendo games just to get the reward points. People might buy more to get points because after they are gone they can go really high on amazon and ebay. You have to think about it, basically you are getting rewards for buying stuff that you enjoy getting.

• Your making Assumptions based on your limited views on how the business world works… NEVER MAKE ASSUMPTIONS!!

Such things are what often lead to failure little tadpole.

• @lucky_frog:

Are you serious? FUNi will make more money because customers would want to buy more stuff to get rewards, including me there is a lot of people on Marriland forums (Pokémon) and IGN forums (Video games) that buy Nintendo games just to get the reward points. People would buy more to get points because after they are gone they can go really high on amazon and ebay. You have to think about it, basically you are getting rewards for buying stuff that you enjoy getting.

That's assuming, of course, that people are going to buy more than they had originally intended, or made the switch from buying off RightStuf or Amazon to buy here instead

I certainly wouldn't do it, because I highly doubt rewards points would be enough to offset the increased prices on this site, so I'd still be paying more for a "free" reward

If Funimation lowered their prices here to better compete with Amazon and RightStuf (as they should, because shouldn't it be cheaper to purchase directly from the source?), then maybe a rewards system would make more sense

• Who said I am making assumptions? Like SpacemanHardy said if it makes rewards that are not owned by other people, like rewards based on an oni or something to display anime/manga. I am just trying to say it sounds like a good idea and it is working for a lot of other companies. That is not an assumption that is an opinion and stating a fact about other companies.

• Something cannot be an opinion & a fact. And what works for other companies doesn't work for all companies!

Not saying it can't happen, just that overall it would be A waste of Funimations time/recourses.

• You're still assuming that people are going to want to buy more shows than they would have originally intended in order to get, like, a plushie, or whatever. You're also still assuming that all rewards programs are successful. They aren't always successful, as a number of them tend to simply reward people that were going to buy the product anyway, such as MyCoke Rewards. Even companies themselves refuse to start rewards programs because it doesn't actually increase profits

On top of that, there's also been privacy issues with these rewards sites that track all your purchases in order to better tailor advertising and marketing to what you might prefer. And, of course, an online rewards program would totally undermine the rewards system they already have in place for people who purchase things at a booth during a convention, thus giving people one less reason to actually visit them at cons

It's a really bad idea that doesn't work in this business model. It makes a lot more sense with video games and Coke products, which are cheaper and become significantly cheaper over time, as opposed to anime, which generally only inflates in price over time

• @Riles:

That's assuming, of course, that people are going to buy more than they had originally intended, or made the switch from buying off RightStuf or Amazon to buy here instead

I certainly wouldn't do it, because I highly doubt rewards points would be enough to offset the increased prices on this site, so I'd still be paying more for a "free" reward

If Funimation lowered their prices here to better compete with Amazon and RightStuf (as they should, because shouldn't it be cheaper to purchase directly from the source?), then maybe a rewards system would make more sense

Your purchase wouldn't have to be on the FUNi site to get the points similar to what Nintendo does no matter where you buy the product all you need to do is register it.

Also as for the reward items, what ever they do to get prizes for contests they could do the same for rewards

• @Riles:

Competing with your own distributors on price normally isn't a good idea.

• @visoredavenger:

Your purchase wouldn't have to be on the FUNi site to get the points similar to what Nintendo does no matter where you buy the product all you need to do is register it.

Also as for the reward items, what ever they do to get prizes for contests they could do the same for rewards

Then what would be the point for Funimation to do this? They don't really get additional money from third party sales (or if they do, they certainly don't get enough), so they would just be giving things away for free on their end without any additional purchases through them

Maybe you don't fully comprehend this, but Funimation is not really a large company. They don't produce millions of copies of anime the same way Nintendo produces millions of copies of video games. Nintendo's got, what, like, ten times the library Funimation has?

Furthermore, there is a reason those prizes are for contests - it's because they are a limited quantity. It really doesn't make sense to make them rewards items if the keychain or poster they're adding to the rewards page is sold out after one or two redemptions

• @Riles:

Then what would be the point for Funimation to do this? They don't really get additional money from third party sales (or if they do, they certainly don't get enough), so they would just be giving things away for free on their end without any additional purchases through them

Maybe you don't fully comprehend this, but Funimation is not really a large company. They don't produce millions of copies of anime the same way Nintendo produces millions of copies of video games. Nintendo's got, what, like, ten times the library Funimation has?

Furthermore, there is a reason those prizes are for contests - it's because they are a limited quantity. It really doesn't make sense to make them rewards items if the keychain or poster they're adding to the rewards page is sold out after one or two redemptions

People would be getting points for what they were going to buy anyway.
    They would have to come to the FUNi site to redeem the points, the FUNi site would see increased traffic so they could intense them into other offerings.

It's not like we would get enough points to redeem to get an item after 1- 4 purchases. Like Club Nintendo and My Coke Rewards it would take more than a few buys to earn enough to get something

• This is a very interesting thread.

I'm curious– for those of you who would like to see a rewards system, and would participate in points collection if we had one-- what kinds of things would you want to see, in terms of rewards? Presume, for a moment, you could literally have anything, if you collected enough points for it. What stuff would you want?

Presuming we could only offer FUNimation branded stuff (as opposed to show merch)-- would that alter how much you'd be interested in the program or would you be just as interested in getting, like, cool FUNimation t-shirts and Oni-G plushies as you would be anime merch?

Just curious-- I haven't seen a big groundswell for rewards stuff on our site before.

• @Riles:

saying that people might buy more is not assuming.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Something cannot be an opinion & a fact. And what works for other companies doesn't work for all companies!

Not saying it can't happen, just that overall it would be A waste of Funimations time/recourses.

I was saying one statement was an opinion and the other statement was a fact, damn do I have to explain everything?

• @Soundmonkey44:

Your making Assumptions based on your limited views on how the business world works… NEVER MAKE ASSUMPTIONS!!

Such things are what often lead to failure little tadpole.

The business world is full of assumptions, the trick is to make such assumptions small enough so that even if they fall through you won't sink your company.
    Every time Funimation licenses a new series they're making the assumption that it will sell, when Funimation decided to stream their content they made the assumption that it would benefit their company, and even more recent they made the assumption that releasing a sub-only release would still sell.

Yes every one here has a very limited understanding of how the business world works, but as someone who works in said business world (not anime mind you) I can tell you with 100% certainty that no one else understands it either.

Such a system could certainly be pulled off with limited risk, hell there was already a quasi reward program with their MMORPG venture where you could enter codes for special items in-game. If Funimation started slow, things like digital rewards with very limited overhead/no mailing costs then what would the risk truly be? If Japanese licensing companies allow Funimation to use assets for promotional material so it wouldn't be a huge step to think agreements could be made for other items.

Now there is always the risk of customers being insulted from very limited offerings, but with the MMORPG rewards nothing set on fire so I'm not really worried.

Look at NIS America, they offer store exclusives such as posters, fans, and other trinkets simply from ordering from their internal store, thanks to that I switched from other outlets to only ordering from them (even knowing they would be more expensive then outlets like Rightstuf). Even if that wasn't enough they offer an additional reward program where you get a $5 gift card for (I believe) every $100 spent, resulting in an even likelier chance that I return to their store in the future.