Dreams of an Absolution: General Toonami Discussion Thread.

• Come here to disscuss the latest events & shows related to the [Adult Swim] Toonami Block!

Current Toonami Line-up In Alphabetical Order

Bleach
    FLCL
    Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex/2nd Gig
    Inuyasha
    IGPX
    Naruto Uncut
    Naruto Shippuden
    One Piece
    Space Dandy
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    Soul Eatrer
    Sword Art Online

Upcoming Show
    Blue Exorcist
    Samurai Jack

Past Shows
    Big-O II
    Casshern Sins
    Cowboy Bebop
    Deadman Wonderland
    Eureka Seven
    Samurai 7
    Sym Bionic Titan
    Tenchi Muyo GXP
    Thundercats (2011)

Movies/Specials
    Akira
    Eva: 1.11
    Eva 2.22
    FMA: Conqurers of Shamballa
    Kick-Heart
    King Star King
    Summer Wars
    Trigun: Badlands Rumble

• Like Toonami the forums are reborn!

• I’m kind of sick of them adding ancient shows that have aired on Adult Swim multiple times in the past. Ghost and the Shell and Flcl are good shows but there are plenty of more recent shows heck even ones in the last 5 years that would be prefect fits. Personally I think they should move Naruto to a later time slot and have new to Toonami shows or episodes air in that first 2 hours.

• Eventually if/when the conversations about shows are more than one thread can handle, I'd suggest creating a thread for those shows.

• @arrs26:

I’m kind of sick of them adding ancient shows that have aired on Adult Swim multiple times in the past. Ghost and the Shell and Flcl are good shows but there are plenty of more recent shows heck even ones in the last 5 years that would be prefect fits. Personally I think they should move Naruto to a later time slot and have new to Toonami shows or episodes air in that first 2 hours.

I agree a little bit, but you've got to remember that it's an issue of money as well. There's lots of super-new stuff they'd love to get I'm sure, but even as successful as the block is being now, it's still a relatively small budget I believe. As such, every now and then they have to show us some older, but still good, stuff to pad out the roster.

In my own case, I've not seen FLCL since I was a much younger (and less open-minded) fan, and I hated it back then. I'm kinda excited to be able to give it another chance now.

• Yeah, its definitely a money issue. Main reason they kept Cowboy Bebop around for so long was that it was basically free. As for adding newer stuff. I'm all for that as well, but I'd be a little doubtful of anything new going into the last half of the block. 3am - 6am (eastern time) isn't exactly prime viewing hours for anything. Unless you're a farmer or a late night security guard.

• an interesting thing happened last weekend. They answered a question about adding subbed anime. The response was as expected subs don't work on tv

• @SS Yeah glad to have the Funi forums back. Though sad they came back at a time I will be increasingly busy, basically from Mid-October to Early December i'm gonna be a busy bee with all the work my college classes are pushing on me. On the bright side get a 4-day weekend next week for "Fall Break" and then theres Thanksgiving in November so should be able to chillax alot here then. Hopefully be able to go down to the city and get my iPad repared by then as well!

But ahh back on the topic of Toonami. Yeah I understand some people get tired of reruns, but reruns are a part of American TV culture, its a way for networks/blocks to save money, and even though Toonami has been back for over a year, it still doesn't have the funding it did in its hay day, heck, seems most of the peeps at Turner/Williams Street just see it as Demarco's vanity project, its really just him and his buds keeping the thing going, so they gotta go with what they can get. On top of that Toonami has a legacy/repuation to uphold, they can't just show any anime or action cartoon, they have to show something they feel fits with the block, heck they've already gotten some flack for showing SAO, [Adult Swim]'s prime Demo is College students to mid 30's adults, and out of that demo willing to watch anime, you can bet theres a good chance the window of what they are willing to watch shrinks for a chunk of those as they get older, so showing re-runs & older anime in general is a safe move, newer anime are a risk, even good ones, Casshern Sins, despite being a Sci-Fi Action series got poor ratings because many found it too depressing c'mon people art isn't always happy! Tenchi GXP was supposed to be safe since the old Tenchi shows did well for the block, but even it didn't fair that well my guess is because, well lets face it, Spin-offs arn't always that great, & Tenchi hasn't been that big since at least 2004, just came on too late

So yeah, Reruns may not be the best, but they get ratings, Reruns & well known shonen, thats whats safe, thats what will keep Toonami afloat until it has the freedom to be more experimential. Oh and the occasional special event like the Eva Films & Kick-Heart as well of course!

• you know [as] really should give Toonami the 10/11pmEST hours again like when they first started showing anime. Show like Naruto that have already been on should be earlier so that Bleach could be followed by One Piece (even though it doesn't matter to me since I have just started season 5 on DVD)

• I wish they explained further. Why exactly wouldn't subs work on TV?

• @louder_ninja:

I wish they explained further. Why exactly wouldn't subs work on TV?

I assume it's because the majority of people do not enjoy subtitled programs. I mean have you ever seen network television airing any subbed foreign films?
    I think the only thing I can think of is seeing The Grudge and Dark Water in Japanese on the SciFi channel

• Yeah, subtitled programming isn't good for ratings, heck last Subtitled thing I saw was some Shadow-Puppet movie from inda on TCM at like 3 in the morning Yay insomnia! And that was about a year ago.

Subtitled anime on Toonami would be the block shooting itself in the foot. Again its important to look at things realistically. Most of AS prime demographic, even a fair share of people who watch Toonami, don't want subtitled content, they want to turn on the TV, relax & enjoy themselves, not be reading subtitles of some show they may never heard of before at midnight on A Saturday night.

• @louder_ninja:

I wish they explained further. Why exactly wouldn't subs work on TV?

They did explain further later on - the majority of people change the channel when they see subs or hear a different language, so they have no interest in airing shows that they believe will have low ratings

I thought perhaps it was licensing issues or something that would legally prevent them from airing subs, but the were actually pretty clear on why they don't work

@Gyt:

I agree a little bit, but you've got to remember that it's an issue of money as well. There's lots of super-new stuff they'd love to get I'm sure, but even as successful as the block is being now, it's still a relatively small budget I believe. As such, every now and then they have to show us some older, but still good, stuff to pad out the roster..

It's so low budget that the Adult Swim staff that works on Toonami don't even get paid for doing so!

• Second best Bleach filler arc

• They need to move Naruto to 11pm and show two episodes

• I don't think they really need to do anything, other than finally replace one of those InuYasha slots with a unique show

I don't think moving Toonami an hour earlier would make it any better. While I think it's highly unrealistic, it would be much more beneficial to break the block over two different nights, so that they alleviate the bottleneck of high-profile shows they have back-to-back-to-back-to-back. If they had Bleach and One Piece one night, and then Naruto and Soul Eater and/or SAO another night, it would do a good job breaking up the major shows into more manageable chunks, which would be great, since Bleach/OP/Naruto won't be going anywhere anytime soon so there's not a whole lot of wiggle room for the 'early' portion of the block

I like talking about Toonami a lot more than I do actually watching it, mostly because I've already seen the shows I'm interested in, and also because I'm a little turned off by the fact they insist it's an action block, not necessarily an anime block. I think they'd have a good deal more success if they branched out and added a couple un-shounen-like shows after all the Jump shows

• @SS5ant:

They need to move Naruto to 11pm and show two episodes

It'll only happen if Toonami expands to cover the whole Saturday (and possibly get onto Friday if ratings get higher)

• Nothing's ever going to air before Bleach, even if Toonami expands. Bleach is going to be the lead until they air episode 366 and finish the series. It's their flagship because it's the only show they have that's premiering brand new episodes

• This post is deleted!

• @Riles: Toonami has NEVER just been an anime block, its ALWAYS been an action block. Hell when it started out it showed things like Bird-Man, Superfriends, G-Force, etc. And was hosted by Moltar from Space Ghost, not TOM As for shows that arn't action, they tried that once with Hamtaro, it got horrid ratings, and the only reason it was put on at all is because parental groups complained about the block having too many violent shows something we shouldn't have to worry about now since its on AS

I do agree it would be nice to have some say Slice of Life or comedy anime on TV, but Toonami is not the place for that. Toonami is ACTION always has been, always will/should be.

• Oh God, they're adding FLCL to the lineup?! That show is… ugh, I don't even know how to describe it. I saw it years ago on Adult Swim when I was young (too young to be watching Adult Swim, naturally) and it did not leave a good impression on me.

Also, you forgot Deadman Wonderland when listing all the past shows,Soundmonkey.