How Do You Deal With Subs to Dubs and Dubs to Subs?

• So as I explained to one of my friends it's easy to start a dub and watch through it and same goes for a sub, but after watching a sub it's weird but easy to switch to a dub from the subbed anime, but to switch from a dub to a sub is hard that I almost have to force myself to watch it. So for example, I've watched Fairy Tail the whole time as a dub and now the to keep watching and watch new episodes and now it's too weird to watch it since it's subbed although I'd like to finish it but don't know if I should wait for the dub or watch the sub. So does anyone else have this problem and know how to deal with it?

• I don't really have a problem watching from one form to the other. While I prefer dubs for easier watching, if a show like Fairy Tail is only dubbed so far and the rest is subbed, I will watch it in that format.

• I find it harder to switch from a sub to a dub, but then again dubs are novelties to me and I only view them if I'm flipping through and see a show on Adult Swim or if I'm with family. Since 99% of the time a sub version will always be available I really never run into this issue on my own. There are a few cases where I went back to re-watch older series like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop subtitled and if anything I've been enjoying them more, but that's just me.

• @UnDeadSniper794:

So as I explained to one of my friends it's easy to start a dub and watch through it and same goes for a sub, but after watching a sub it's weird but easy to switch to a dub from the subbed anime, but to switch from a dub to a sub is hard that I almost have to force myself to watch it.

I try not to switch while watching a show, but re-watching, I don't find it very difficult to get into an English dub, and usually takes me less than an episode to get used to the new audio track.

By the way, your Xbox link takes me to my profile.

• Dub, sub, s'all anime, as long as I have a legal way to watch animation I'm interested, I don't really care.

But as I prefere to watch TV as opposed to reading it, dubs are better for me. If I want to read the series I buy the manga! stares at wall of Case Closed Manga Tokabons

• Alright thanks for all these good tips guys, you really helped me out

• I also tend to prefer to stick to one or the other while in the middle of watching something, but if I have to switch to the original version of something because that particular portion of what I'm watching isn't dubbed - like say when I was watching Lucky Star and got to the OVA - I'll do it. It can be a little jarring, especially if this is the first you're really hearing the other version. For me though, as much as I'm a fan of voice actors and seiyuu, it's the particular shows I'm a fan of at the end of the day, so normally I can deal with whichever version I have to go with.

• Since it turns out I like Fairy Tail and want to watch weekly once it starts up again in a couple weeks, I've had to switch to Japanese to finish the rest of the show. Since I follow well over 20 shows a season, watching in Japanese with subs isn't a problem for me, but this is the first time I've ever switched languages while in the middle of a show. It's a new experience and was kinda bizarre at first, and I'm not really sure why, but that passed after a few episodes. However, I have noticed that its taking a bit longer to watched subbed episodes than it does dubbed episodes, and I'm starting to think I wont finished in time. I just completed ep 121 about half an hour ago as of this post

• @UnDeadSniper794:

I've watched Fairy Tail the whole time as a dub and now the to keep watching and watch new episodes and now it's too weird to watch it since it's subbed although I'd like to finish it but don't know if I should wait for the dub or watch the sub. So does anyone else have this problem and know how to deal with it?

For the time being - since you're so used to the English dub - I would just sit back and wait. That's pretty much the downside of dubs; I suppose you could continue in Japanese, but I imagine it would sound pretty awkward listening to two different tracks midway.

I would start getting more used to listening in Japanese to remedy that problem, so you're able to enjoy your new favorites as they continue streaming. And if they do get a dub, you're able to watch it again with a dub that may even help you understand it more.

• @7jaws7:

I would start getting more used to listening in Japanese to remedy that problem, so you're able to enjoy your new favorites as they continue streaming. And if they do get a dub, you're able to watch it again with a dub that may even help you understand it more.

Yeah Im fairly used to Japanese for the simulcasts and other series, it's just when they are on-going series that are dubbed and then now I'm far enough to where it's only sub and awaiting the dub, but I guess I'll just wait for it to be dubbed though and that's what I meant too, it's too awkward to continue in sub than if it started in sub and went to dub or was just sub

• I don't really care either way I can still enjoy the dub just as much as I did when I watched it subbed if the series was good enough. I do admit there are some characters whose English voice I had to get used to. To me the story and characters mean more to me than what language its in so if the series had a good plot and great cast of characters I have no problems with switching back and forth from subs to dubs.

Only time I do not enjoy watching dubs after subs is if the original source material is heavily edited like CardCaptor Sakura I loved watching it subbed, but the English version made me rage especially the name change of Yukito. >_>

When it comes to psychical releases I prefer dubbed cause I can actually take time to see the amazing artwork and character expressions, but if it is not available then I will buy it subbed.

• Actually, I do it a little differently; I start on dub or sub for two or three episodes then switch to the other for a few, the list goes on. I do this with Utena and Ranma.

• For me, it's not that hard of a transition, actually, I usually just watch and finish an anime in dub, then go back and re-watch it in sub or vice versa. Assuming there is a dub available.