So I guess Ocean Kai was a legend after all?

• Anyone remember in the old forums there was talk about Ocean Kai coming soon?

Remember this?
    http://youtu.be/4UDd7vJkfVE

Personally since I am American and prefer my FUNi dub it wasn't a big deal to me. I do know there were a lot of Ocean fans ready for this and the new FUNi vs Ocean dub wars

• Ocean… wasn't that the studio that one guy recommended Funi use for every release? That's the only thing that comes to mind when I hear Ocean.

• @St0ck:

Ocean… wasn't that the studio that one guy recommended Funi use for every release? That's the only thing that comes to mind when I hear Ocean.

The Ocean dub of Dragon Ball was the one that had the "Rock the Dragon" theme. After the 52nd episode FUNi took over but Ocean picked back up dubbing DBZ

http://youtu.be/P_fSkW9-cNo

So there are more than one English dub

• Ocean was pretty hit 'n miss with their dubs but I preferred their DBZ incarnation. It irks me to no end that Chris Sabat is 3 major characters as Chris Sabat cannot disguise his voice for anything. The dialogue in the Sabat/Funi dub still seems edited to me: on the blurays, Vegeta says euphemistic stuff like "Send you to oblivion". The Funimation DBZ dub on the blu-rays does not "sound natural" like most modern Funi dubs do. I wish they'd modernize the dub.

Ocean also made Goku sound like the naive, good-natured & Superman-esque doofus that he was intended to be while Funimation made him into a flying version of Lennie from Of Mice and Men; Sean Schemmel "went full retard", to quote Tropic Thunder.

IMO the "holy grail" would be an Ocean dub of all of DBZ uncut :(

• Thanks for reminding me of that unbelievably lame filler sequence. Cell creating his version of the "Legion of Doom" in Hell? Bringing him back right after he was defeated in one of the most awesome sequences in the entire series just so he can be one-shot by a bland Piccolo rip-off? An example of the worst kind of pointless filler imaginable.

Also, why is Frieza surprised that Goku could beat up the Ginyu Force? They weren't even a challenge to him pre-Super Saiyan.

I have little experience with the Ocean dub of DBZ, but the above clip doesn't seem to suggest its any better than Funi's original lackluster dub of the series. Call me crazy, but Cell's voice sounds like it would be right at home in the Big Green Dub, and Frieza's performance is somehow even stiffer and more unnatural than Lina Young's.

Just so I'm not a complete negative nancy in this post, I can see why people like Goku's voice in the Ocean dub. It fits his character well, and is suitably heroic.