Playback issues suggestion

• I work with video streaming services for a living, so I know some things. First, the player could be improved. It needs to cache forward. Look at YouTube, for instance. Or Netflix. They cache forward seconds or minutes as they can, and it reduces the lag time during playback, which is very disruptive. Second - I don't know who your cdn is, but you need a better one. Akamai could suit your needs much better if you aren't using them already, their geodistribution is unmatched. From what I gather, there are a lot of disgruntled viewers (myself included) that would like to see this service work.

• yeah cache forward would be great

• @acidrainfall:

I work with video streaming services for a living, so I know some things. First, the player could be improved. It needs to cache forward. Look at YouTube, for instance. Or Netflix. They cache forward seconds or minutes as they can, and it reduces the lag time during playback, which is very disruptive. Second - I don't know who your cdn is, but you need a better one. Akamai could suit your needs much better if you aren't using them already, their geodistribution is unmatched. From what I gather, there are a lot of disgruntled viewers (myself included) that would like to see this service work.

Can I vote up your post? Taking 45 minutes or more to watch a 23 minute episode because of caching is ridiculous. When you have cache pausing several times before the starting credits roll… there is a serious problem. I don't think they realize how bad it really is.

• If you work in the industry it should be simple to figure out the info you are trying to suggest. The CDN they are currently using is edgecast, which in of itself is not a bad CDN.

Also adaptive player does use a cache forward it caches 30 seconds, it however reads the current streaming stats and will update your stream's quality to fit the current bandwidth standard. this can be a major improvement or a huge fault, depending on how you have your backend settings tweaked. If it drops the cache, and rebuilds from current. you'll see the problems like we have been. ( that doesn't mean this is the cause)

There lies 2 problems at hand right now from what I am reading,

1. the CDN cache,( This is a new problem started 2 weeks ago) - once this is complete, it will allow the whole entity to be fed from the CDN's side, instead of trying to grab it from the backhaul. This however takes time. Just try to imagine the IP that Funimation has, then remember it has 2 sides, HD and SD, so thats two times the information you have to cache. It will take some time to complete.

2. The player, It just needs its tweaks to work right, but again this takes time. Nothing happens overnight they need to be tested on a dev site, verify that it works, then pushed out. acquire feedback, then loop the process.

All in all, I can see that Funimation is at least ( well telling us through CJ) that they are working on a solution. It takes time, there is alot that needs to be done on a brand new site, with bugs, features, requests, security concerns. all wanting and needing to take the spotlight.

Just give them time, It'll all come together in the end.

• I noticed hulu tags in the player. Wondering if they are pulling from the same content for the funimation player, hulu and roku. If so, they probably have the latter 2 as priority traffic.

• The ENTIRE problem is the 30 second cache forward.

I would be willing to bet 45 seconds would eliminate 80% of the buffering problems without overly increasing the total bandwidth consumption.

The problem I've noticed is that my connection to the CDN goes idle at 25 seconds, and then takes 15 seconds to pick up. (Packet sniffing FTW!) Resulting in about 5-10 seconds of buffering.

• I'm actually surprised to know they're running on EdgeCast - but as good as EdgeCast is, I've had failures while using their service. A bad one - that lost us tens of thousands of viewers for a live-streamed event. But regardless, as upset as I was at the performance of the platform, I've come back. Since Netflix doesn't have any good shows left, and I'm sick to death of Hulu commercials, I've decided to give Funimation another go. I also bought a Roku, since my Apple TV died, so we'll see if it's any better now.

And my point about the CDN cache still stands - I was watching a very popular show, and a CDN caches as it streams from origin, there should be no reason for a third or fourth playthrough of anything to not be served directly from the CDN.