Symphogear

• Will Symphogear will be coming to dvd soon?

• probably not

• Then my question becomes why spend the licensing money in the first place?

• They licensed the ability to stream the series over the internet, that is cheaper then licensing a series for physical release.
    Possible reasons why:
    The internet streaming did not receive a lot of viewership
    Japanese licensing company did not want to sell license and/or charged too much
    Funimation got the license as part of a package deal and was never interested in the series in the first place

Those tend to be the main reasons, it can change at any moment so nothing is set in stone.

• Don't forget the music rights could be a factor, Stock.

• Very true, frankly there are countless (and mostly boring/asinine) reasons why.

• @SimonDaDigger:

Then my question becomes why spend the licensing money in the first place?

It also needs to be kept in mind that Symphogear was one of the Funico (Funimation / Nico Nico joint venture) licenses.

Symphogear doesn't appear on the Roku app (and I suspect the same is true for the mobile apps), and it streams with ads here on the website even for those with those with an Elite subscription. Clearly the licensing for even the streaming version isn't typical.

Since no one simulcast the second series (despite apparent substantial interest), I suspect Nico Nico had some special "in" on licensing that US companies don't. Sadly, this means we can expect the same for the already-greenlit third series.