Helmet Retcon?

• Please, don't click this if you haven't seen at least 75% of the show. It doesn't contain show-ruining spoilers but, in the vein of Billy Dee Williams, "Why take that chance?"

!
    In the beginning of the show the point is made that a woman who was violently abused by a criminal had her psycho-pass shoot up to criminal levels. When Cherami Leigh's character finds the corpse of her best friend being prepped for the future version of BodyWorlds she is told by Siedel to be wary of the trauma clouding her psycho-pass. Throughout the show the point has been made that when individuals experience brutality their psycho-pass spikes. Just reliving the memory of seeing the throat of Tipton's character slashed caused Akane's psycho-pass to go stratospheric.
    ! Yet when the criminal with the helmet that masks his psycho-pass by copying that of nearby people commits his crimes in the pharmacy his projected pyscho-pass is normal. The problem here is that the only person shown within range of the helmet is a woman who had just watched her coworker be stabbed by a nutcase and who had herself just been stabbed in the leg by him. Her psycho-pass should have been off the charts but apparently it wasn't.
    ! …while David Wald's character did say something about the helmet having a 90 meter range he didn't really elaborate on that and the show hasn't so it still feels a bit like they're redefining their own rules here.

• There were plenty of people in the lobby, easily within the 30-meter range of the helmet.

• They didn't elaborate upon the range or method of operation of the helmet. The scanners we have seen need to have a direct line of sight.

This wasn't as glaring as the inclusion of the armored car that contradicted the setup of the episode but the helmet's methods ought to have gotten more than a quasi-explanation that was given in one line.

• The car wasn't really armored since a simple nail gun broke the glass. I don't know why they described it as one

The helmet also worked in picking up Makashima's crime coefficient when he was in the radio tower in a different room, so the 30 meters explanation seems adequate enough an explanation. I'm not sure how you wanted them to elaborate

I thought a far more glaring hole was when Kagari went into the basement and his Dominator stopped working for reasons they don't make clear (the helmets? no reception underground?). If it wasn't working because of the helmet, that doesn't really make sense, since the only two people conceivably in range are Choe Gu-sung and Kagari himself. Both are latent criminals, so even if those thugs were wearing masks, their crime coefficient would've matched one of those two. If there was no reception underground, then it wouldn't make sense for Joshu Kasei's Dominator to fire later in the episode. Tampering or not, it still wouldn't be able to configure without the Internet in range

• I'm not sure I'd call that a plot hole. so much as inadvertently ambiguous sci-fi nonsense. It was pretty clear there's some kind of jamming or dampening field in the basement, and you can sorta assume Kasei would know how to disable it and/or override it because A - she has access to the systems and the schematics, and B - because ~technology~.

Is it graceful writing? No, but it serves its purpose and I don't think it's particularly important to the overall narrative. I mean, if it makes you feel better, you can just pretend she pistol-whipped Kagari to death instead. it wouldn't really change the context of the scene.

• I see we're making a passive protest of spoiler tags in this thread LOL.

The helmet also worked in picking up Makashima's crime coefficient when he was in the radio tower in a different room, so the 30 meters explanation seems adequate enough an explanation. I'm not sure how you wanted them to elaborate

All the scanners seen up to the point of the helmet require direct line of sight to work. In the scene in the drug store, Helmet Man is looking right at the woman, as she backs into a corner, and the scanner is seemingly on the front of the helmet. Without an explanation that it does not require LOS to work the only answer is that the woman's psychopass didn't change, which doesn't jibe with what the series had set up.

If we assume that the helmet scanner apes the lowest psycho-pass within 30 meters, regardless of LOS, (as we'd almost have to for the scene where Akane/Kogami/Masaoka break into Helmet-man's apartment to work) then that would mean that when Kogami and Masaoka corner Helmet-man that Kogami's psycho-pass was lower than or equal to Masaoka's, which changes the meaning of that scene a bit.

BTW, why couldn't Helmet-man run through the blockades set up by the Jad Saxton-voiced police robots?

• Anyone who would get a helmet would have a clouded psycho-pass. How did so many people with clouded psycho-passes go out in public as was shown and get helmets? The series showed that the cops can track people in even abandoned areas of the city and have scanners in even the seedy parts of town (not sure why there'd be abandoned areas and slums in a city micromanaged by a computer).

The series made the point-even with the original helmet man-that the only way to avoid a scan was to stay inside.

• @sidereal_presence:

BTW, why couldn't Helmet-man run through the blockades set up by the Jad Saxton-voiced police robots?

Presumably because they would have some kind of preventative measure for that? I agree that they would be pretty useless if you could just walk past them.

Anyone who would get a helmet would have a clouded psycho-pass. How did so many people with clouded psycho-passes go out in public as was shown and get helmets?

A - we don't actually know that their crime coefficients were high enough to set off the scanners at that point. B - Makashima's crew could have easily used the helmets to disable the scanners in the area beforehand.

It seems like you're just bending over backwards to find plot holes in this show. Most of which are barely relative to the main narrative, anyways.

• In the episode after the introduction of Helmet Man, Psycho-pass shows helmeted people beating the police drones into scrap metal without the drones retaliating.

"The security drones are as useless as scarecrows against anyone wearing a helmet" (slight paraphrase)

• Sorry, I had to do this for the lulz….

But I'm not sure whether I am reading a legit thread or an advertisement for voice actors