Suggestions of Good Anime to Watch

• Hi, I'm new to this site and I am interested in getting into a couple good shows.

I love anime, but I am also really picky about it. If I can't stand the humor, the characters, or the pacing of a show/movie, I just will not watch it. Sometimes I can stomach it though. For example, I absolutely could not stand Vash's goofiness in Trigun when I started watching it, but I saw the depth to his character that would end up shining in the second half of the series, so I stomached through it, knowing the payoff was worth it. If I can watch it through to the end, then I like it.

The anime I do like are more character-driven, atmospheric shows with brilliant writing, smart or well-pulled off goofy humor, and great, stylistic action. Anime I don't like have bad dubs, flat characters, annoying voices/humor, and incomprehensible or jumbled plots.

For reference, here are animes I like:
    Cowboy Bebop
    Akira
    Gurren Lagann
    Angel Beats
    Trigun
    Any Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film I have seen (even Ponyo, I thought I would hate that one)
    Ghost in the Shell movie
    Big O
    Samurai Champloo
    The Matrix and Pacific Rim kind of count since they are heavily influenced by Anime
    Inuyasha
    Aquarion Evol (The show that actually brought me to this site, saw a preview of it on the copy of Akira I bought)
    FLCL

Animes I don't like:
    Naruto, One Piece, Black Butler, and Hetalia (I don't like the humor and/or my sister and her friends like them and I can't stand what they like).

• theres already a reccommindations thread stickied here in the anime section. Please look before creating new threads.