I miss the good old days of dubbed singing.

• I know the dubbed singing in Fuuka And Show By Rock brings back the good old days where anime studios dubbed some or all singing. However these days, with the exception of Funimation, other dubbing studios discontinued the practice and left any and all singing to the Japanese voice cast. Its a shame that is the case. So in a lot of anime dubs there is this rapid fire switching between the English voice actor speaking, and the Japanese voice actor singing. This is especially the case in anime such as Love Live, Lucky Star, and even Full Moon o Sagashite where any and all singing is left to the Japanese cast. One of the few times Bang Zoom did dub singing was in an episode of Haruhi Suzumiya, where Wendee Lee got to sing a couple of songs as her titular character. In Amagi brilliant Park episode 9, the kariokee singing in episode 9 was surprisingly dubbed.

during the days of Toonami 15 years ago, singing was dubbed for the Toonami broadcasts.

I don't know if things changed these days because most Production committees at the request of the original artist/voice actor and/or record company require the original Japanese singing track be left untouched and not recorded over?

In my opinion, dubbed anime should be fully dubbed with the English voice actors singing in universe songs if possible.

I wish dubbing studios would bring back the good old days.

• The one I remember the best (non-FUNimation) was the original Bubblegum Crisis where the songs "Mad Machine" and "Hurricane" were both dubbed, and I enjoyed them immensely.

Thankfully FUNimation has been doing more and more to get the songs dubbed (like Sarazanmai!), so hopefully HiDive, Sentai, and the rest start playing 'follow the leader.'

• Yes I love the days when we were guaranteed to get English dub theme songs Rock the dragon Gotta catch a all “Dragonball Z”, Zoids chaos chronicles theme song, Technically that was a Japanese song but was add with the Zoids Dialogue added to the song and then was turned into the theme song since it was just the background song in the Japanese version, Yu-Gi-Oh!’s it’s time to duel, get your game on GX theme song, sailor Moon‘s theme song was great, One piece rap was a great theme song even though the dub was screw with edit changes. So many great theme song! Yu-Gi-Oh arc v had a pretty good one to as of recently. However outside of Yu-Gi-Oh there are very far in between titles and companies that are willing to give us English theme songs. Should be a law to have songs either be translated from the Japanese version into English with an English singer or give us an English version theme song.

• @Samuraiko I really miss the good old days, and I feel like Sentai Filmworks and other dubbing studios are not following Funimation's lead. They just don't seem interested in negotiating with the Japanese companies to get In Universe character singing dubbed.

Voice actors working for Sentai Filmworks and Bang Zoom almost never get a chance to sing anything. The studios just leave it to the Seiyu in japan.

• @Riles said in I miss the good old days of dubbed singing.:

The good old days, circa 2008 - 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_releases_made_concurrently_in_the_United_States_and_Japan

@Riles What this got to do with "good old days" I though that would have been 1998-2008...

• I meant that in the early 2000's and the 90's, and even up to 2005-2006, singing was dubbed on a case by case basis, but now, most studios stopped completely, and won't even dub brief acapella singing or singing at a karaoke box. Aside from Funimation, Anime voice actors working for other studios don't ever have a chance to sing. Its all left to the Japanese cast.

I wish they can follow Funimation's lead, and attempt to dub some sort of singing on a case by case basis.

• The even gooder old days of 1998-2008, where virtually everything was fansubs and a fraction of shows would be localized after a year's delay

• @Riles said in I miss the good old days of dubbed singing.:

The even gooder old days of 1998-2008, where virtually everything was fansubs and a fraction of shows would be localized after a year's delay

:D Oh I well remember the days before simuldubs, when my husband and I would haunt Suncoast and Best Buy and FYE to see if the latest VHS or DVDs had come out yet on a month-by-month basis.

Though back on the whole dubbed singing thing, since now a lot of the FUNi voice actors pull double/triple duty with other studios, with luck, the fact that they're showcasing their singing chops (and generally to audience cheers) will encourage the other studios to go, "Y'know... maybe this might not be such a bad idea. We know THESE actors can sing at least."

Admittedly, I'm biased. I will beg, borrow, steal, throw someone down a flight of stairs, or make sacrifices on dark altars to get the Royal Tutor film dubbed because that HEAVILY features the cast singing, and we already know that two of the four princes (Aljeandro Saab and Daman Mills) can sing. (I don't know about Stephen Sanders and Chris Wehkamp - anyone know if they've done songs in a show yet?)

• I want Bang Zoom and Sentai Filmworks to attempt to dub at least some singing. I want the English voice actors to be allowed to sing for dubs. It was too bad in Love live where the US voice actors didn't sing a single thing.

• Yeah, we get it. Thanks for reminding us.

• I feel these days are different from other days, and for the most part, US voice actors are casted with no intention of them singing. As a matter of fact, all singing of any kind is not dubbed. Its like the Japanese don't want anyone but their seiyu singing in anime, even if the song is an English song in the public domain (that was translated into Japanese). And I don't want Funimation to start to default to not doing dubbed singing of any kind.

• Look, I really don’t think it’s a big deal. In the good old days I think of, off the top of my head English songs were original to the dub, they weren’t English versions of the Japanese songs (like Sailor Moon). Singing is part of a seiyuu’s job, it’s not a requirement for US voice actors and there’s nothing wrong with that. It could be that the Japanese owners don’t want the songs in English and/or it’s too much time/effort/money. Keep in mind that no-one owes you dubs. Most people are perfectly capable of watching subs, it’s simply more convenient to have it dubbed into your own language. For me personally, while I love the songs, singalong etc, I don’t care what they actually say. I don’t read the lyrics even when they’re right in front of me. I got this link from the Enstars thread, so that’s what I’m going to be going off of. Enstars has 42 characters who sing (not all of them may appear in the anime or will have songs that appear but that’s irrelevant). I doubt there are that many US voice actors who can sing that well period let alone just men. So trying to hire actors who can sing would severely limit who can be cast and when they can work. If you hire just for singing actors, that’s extra money and you might as well just hire the singers for main voicing in the first place. Then you need to rights to record and distribute the songs. If they don’t come with the rights for the anime, then that’s extra money. Then you have to translate. English songs rhyme so do you change the meaning slightly to fit the English formula? Or write original lyrics altogether? That takes a lot of time and people that need to be paid. And like we said earlier the people who own the rights (Japan - US places like Funimation don’t own the anime, just the right to distribute it. That’s most likely why the actors don’t get royalties) just may not want them messing with the songs. The point is: Funimation is a 100million dollar company owned by a multi billion subsidiary of a multi billion international conglomerate, yet they pay the actors LESS than $100 per hour. Do you really think they’re regularly going to unnecessarily spend all that extra money so the small amount of ignorant and greedy people like you don’t have to read subtitles for the songs? I doubt it. Like I said, singing is part of the job in Japan, it’s not in the US. Be grateful on the rare occasions you get subbed songs but don’t demand them all the time. The most important part of the anime is dubbed. Don’t like it? Too bad.

• @UItraVioIet41 Too Bad? You think that singing in anime should only be done by seiyu, and not us voice actors? You think the Seiyu don't want their singing dubbed over by some us voice actor? How come Funimation was able to dub the singing for Show By Rock and Fuuka? Why not idol anime?

At the same time, less anime based video games are getting dubs, but that is off topic, but just to prove my point.

This could mean that if the singing isn't dubbed, it wouldn't be eligible to air on Toonami for example.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in I miss the good old days of dubbed singing.:

@UItraVioIet41 Too Bad? You think that singing in anime should only be done by seiyu, and not us voice actors? You think the Seiyu don't want their singing dubbed over by some us voice actor? How come Funimation was able to dub the singing for Show By Rock and Fuuka? Why not idol anime?

At the same time, less anime based video games are getting dubs, but that is off topic, but just to prove my point.

This could mean that if the singing isn't dubbed, it wouldn't be eligible to air on Toonami for example.

What's the big deal? It hardly makes any difference. Besides, we keep telling you, not every song can be dubbed.

• Fine. Not every song cab be dubbed. But to not dub any singing period with no chance for an English voice actor to sing? That is lame.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in I miss the good old days of dubbed singing.:

Fine. Not every song cab be dubbed. But to not dub any singing period with no chance for an English voice actor to sing? That is lame.

Who said anything about "no dubbed songs, period"?

• It seems to be that way for Sentai Filmworks and Bang Zoom for the most part. I know Funimation dubs singing when possible. Other dubbing studios just by default don't dub any kind of singing.

• I was actually talking about this at my job. I really do miss it. I understand that it is difficult to do at times, but they always made it really catchy. Imagine if they didn't do that for Pokemon.

• To be honest, i liked the Japanese renditions of music in Fuuka sooo much, that i purchased both:

0_1566121938514_Fuuka Sound Collection.JPG

AND....

0_1566121980326_Climber's High!.JPG

Regards,
    P.J.

• Just started Carole and Tuesday on Netflix they seem to have dub the songs