Wanna be the Strongest in the World

• Wanna be the Strongest in the World trailer
    http://youtu.be/ZC5P8lRD-X0

Via ANN

Genres: action, comedy, tournament
    Themes: ecchi, fanservice

Plot Summary: Hagiwara Sakura and Miyazawa Erena are the leading members of a popular idol group Sweet. One day, Erena is injured by the attack of a female pro-wrestler Kazama Rio during the recording of a TV program. Sakura gets mad at Rio and gives her a dropkick. To avenge Erena, Sakura enters the female pro-wrestling matches.

Watch on Crunchyroll Now http://www.crunchyroll.com/wanna-be-the-strongest-in-the-world

• This is actually one of the few Fanservice titles i'm interested in mainly because the premise of a pop singer/idol/whatever turned pro-wrestler could make for an entertaining story. The reviews from ANN have been pretty harsh towards it though. I still plan to give it a chance when I can though. I know its a junkfood show, and nothing wrong with junk food once in a blue moon.

• @Soundmonkey44:

The reviews from ANN have been pretty harsh towards it though.

Did you really expect anything else from those ass clowns in regards to anime of this nature?

Some people are pathetically predictable. I'll check it out if and when I ever get time to; I'm sure there'll be some meaningful themes, good storytelling and character development buried in the fan service. But then, what do I know right?

• yeah, right now, it's pretty awful.

• So I watched the first episode, heres my thoughts

Pros

• Interesting Concept: Again the whole singer turned athlete thing is pretty interesting.
    • This is more of a personal thing, but to a degree the show has kind of an 80's feel, I kinda like that.

Cons

• Weak Dialouge/Writing As per usual the dialouge the characters have is all pretty cliche and the writting like most ecchi is medicore at best
    • Power Fantasy Fanservice. The sexualization of women in pain is a pretty tactless thing to do, given its nothing new, we've had media of all kinds sexualize/romanticize pain & violence, still though, pretty iffy IMO.

Overall though I think i'll stick with it for abit, i'm interested enough in the concept to see where it goes, and if it will tone down the girls making sexual moans while in pain, and focus more on the main idol developing as an athlete, could turn out to be a decent show after all is said & done. It has a solid set-up. It just really needs to work on refining its execution.

And thats all I've got to say about the series so far I guess.

• I had some time to kill today since it’s quite slow around here, so I decided to appeal my curiosity by watching the first episodes of this series.

It was more or less what I expected; developing the motives of the female protagonist to decide to start wrestling. The lead in to it was well done, although, it would’ve been cool to have some sort of time lapse prior to her fight; real fights generally take a long time to train up for, so I’m curious is she spent a few months working out and training before her bout. I also see some potential for mind f&ckery and betrayal; maybe, just maybe, our heroine Sakura was set up because of Erena’s jealousy. Considering the type of anime it is, maybe, maybe not, but, I’m going to keep that theory on the back burner.

The characters are pretty neat; the primary ones being more unique and having some good potential; so I’m curious about them; I can definitely get behind Sakura as a character; I really hope she achieves her goal; which this episode did a great job of outlining.

The supporting/background cast, while very well designed are more or less generic, however, since this anime is focusing more on Sakura, Erena and that one fighter so far; it’s pretty forgivable; I actually think the supporting cast hasn’t really shown up yet; so it’s not my place to say whether they’re lazy clichéd carbon copies, or well done, tweaked and well written carbon copies.

The dialogue I’m not sure of; since it’s subtitled and I don’t speak Japanese I can’t really comment on that; if there’s an English dub, which, if the series remains enjoyable I will buy it on English Dub; then I determine whether the dialogue is good; for now, it’s pretty straight forward, it gets the job done.

It was pretty well animated although the wrestling moves could’ve been more intricate and dynamic; this is generally what happens with any anime that has wrestling, the scenes usually just cut to the hold, and the result is you get a pretty static sequence. It was a step up from what I’ve seen, the action was pretty good, but I believe some improvement is an order here.

The fan service was well executed; I liked that it wasn’t overdone and a little more toned down from what I expected. I liked that it didn’t linger or delay the scenes with the sadomasochistic holds too long; on that note, while I get that this show is an anime and it’s fake, that girl shouldn’t even be able to walk after a beating like that. There was also one hold where the antagonist bent her legs at perfect 90 degree angles and I was thinking; is that even possible to bend your own legs that way? I wouldn’t say this is a power fantasy; perhaps more along the lines of the whole wrestling fetishism; but as I said; I liked that they didn’t overdo that aspect of the episode.

As for the heavy breathing and screaming; that’s pretty normal for wrestling; not to get into too much detail, but those who have talked to me know every few months I have a tournament of oil wrestling that’s actually mixed; meaning I wrestle against women. The audience we get is usually half in half male and female and while the wrestling we do is erotic; it’s still real and competitive; I have actually been KO’d once because I didn’t want to tap out. There are a lot of moves we’re not allowed to do like arm bars for example; it’s because it’s dangerous to do with the oil and how slippery it is; however that is the point, as erotic as the oil makes it, the oil also makes the wrestling much harder; and it’s bloody tiring.

With that said about wrestling, it’s pretty normal within the first round to be breathing pretty heavy; it’s a workout that’s for sure. Right now we’ve only got me and another guy competing against the girls because every time we hire a new guy he quits after his first match because they don’t think the wrestling is real, then they do it, get their asses kicked and they don’t want to do it; I also think a part of it is that they can’t handle losing to women. We actually had one guy try to leave the ring halfway through round 2 of his first match; the woman he was fighting grabbed his ankle and pulled him back in and did a real number on him; he got booed pretty badly. My male peer actually screamed and whimpered in pain pretty good when one girl put him in a Boston Crab; and all the guys in the audience just shook their heads thinking; “I’m glad I’m not that guy.”

The point of all my rambling is while this anime has fan service and there’s the eroticism in the matches; it’s pretty tame in comparison to my experiences. Overall, I liked it; the protagonist reminds me a lot of Leina from Queen’s Blade, but she does have more edge to her so early in the series which Leina took a little while to get into the groove. I will, if I get another slow day like this; continue watching this series unless it suddenly turns boring or inconsistent.

Lastly; I don’t know why the female protagonist got so bent out of shape about her hair; it looks better shortened. Well, I think I’m going to try and squeeze an episode of Kill La Kill in later if things continue like this for the rest of the day.

• of course this is a title from ARMS, which is pretty much the king of fanservice/ecchi anime (Ikki Tousen, the infamous MoMH, Samurai Girls, Queen's Blade, and now this), justified since they used to make hentai.

• @Domayv:

of course this is a title from ARMS, which is pretty much the king of fanservice/ecchi anime (Ikki Tousen, the infamous MoMH, Samurai Girls, Queen's Blade, and now this), justified since they used to make hentai.

I did like Ikkitousen quite a bit; Queen’s Blade and Samurai Girls I really enjoyed; not just as fan service anime, but just as anime, they did make it on my top favorite’s portion of my list.

As for Master of Martial Hearts, all I can say about that is it was pretty unwatchable for me, I made it two episodes in and aside from how tacky it is, the show was just boring.

As for this wrestling show, I’ve only watched one episode; I’m interested to see where it goes.

• I think Maoyu was the only thing from them I've enjoyed, as far as legitimate entertainment goes, including this.

• @EyeOfPain:

I think Maoyu was the only thing from them I've enjoyed, as far as legitimate entertainment goes, including this.

Whatever floats your boat man; but I did look into that Maoyu series you mentioned; t does look pretty good.

One thing I forgot to mention about this wrestling anime that I found comical was the music; first of all I liked the opening and closing scenes, but that’s not what I want to focus on. The scene where Sakura goes into her first match, the music cracked me up; when she was winning it was rave/techno style music, but then when she underwent her masochistic beating, it switched to weepy, classical style violin played in a minor key.

When that scene played, I actually backed it up just to hear the music and I find it absolutely hilarious how sophisticated and elegant the music is, but then it’s played behind this masochistic, erotic wrestling scene. Personally, I think some guitar with heavy distortion played with a metal feel would’ve suited the scene better because it would’ve conveyed how badly she was getting pummeled.

• 10/10 Best anime ever.

• @neonwalrus:

. . . Personally, I think some guitar with heavy distortion played with a metal feel would’ve suited the scene better because it would’ve conveyed how badly she was getting pummeled.

Maybe it was trying for that visualization/escapism vibe for people trying to mentally distance themselves from the pain and violence. It would be like Tyler Durden giving her a chemical burn. She might be trying to picture a serene forest, to imagine a babbling brook, to summon her spirit animal, to ignore the pain. Heavy rock guitar just isn't conducive to that vibe.

That, or maybe the musical director for the show is a fan of watching Freakazoid! and was making an attempt at "Relax-O-Vision."

• Episode three is now on Crunchyroll, Sakura looks good in Boston Crab holds. lol

• Watched the second episode, decent overall, feel sorry for that gal, wrestling looks painful. But glad she finally made it to the pro leagues, even if she lost her debut match.

• Watched the first episode of this, and it wasn't as bad as I would've thought. However, the cries of pain were uncomfortable to listen to, even if they might be realistic. And I definitely could've gone without the close ups of her crotch during the match that accompanied said crying. Otherwise, I like Sakura's determination and I might give this another episode.

@neon

Her hair is part of her image as an idol, so along with the whole deal with the shame hold (I doubt she'll ever get away from those pics the audience took) she's been quite thoroughly humiliated and the haircut just makes it worse as it serves as a visible reminder and it affects her image. I'm interested to see what impacts on her career as an idol this could have, which I'm hoping the show would at least cover a little since they made a big deal out of it. Though it is true that with some simple styling she could fix her hair up nice, and I do like the way the shorter hair looked on her.

• @Firefly:

Watched the first episode of this, and it wasn't as bad as I would've thought. However, the cries of pain were uncomfortable to listen to, even if they might be realistic.

My first impressions was that it was pretty tame in terms of fan service, as for Sakura’s agony; I’ve heard worse, though, I can’t say I’ve ever whimpered like that in my matches; although I have been pretty close.

@Firefly:

And I definitely could've gone without the close ups of her crotch during the match that accompanied said crying. Otherwise, I like Sakura's determination and I might give this another episode.

I knew they were going to do something like that; however, I still stand by what I said about that one scene on Kill La Kill trumping the fan service parts on this wrestling anime. I can understand how some people would be turned off by this fan service, but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to the one scene on Kill La Kill. I mentioned this, but it goes to show, sometimes, being less graphic with a piece of artwork/entertainment can actually make something more disturbing or more powerful.

@Firefly:

Her hair is part of her image as an idol, so along with the whole deal with the shame hold (I doubt she'll ever get away from those pics the audience took) she's been quite thoroughly humiliated and the haircut just makes it worse as it serves as a visible reminder and it affects her image.

I get it that her hair is part of her image and being an idol, but it could be worse; she could be doing a duet with Justin Bieber; now that’s true humiliation. Come to think of it, that would be cool if they did an episode where she beat the crap out of that little punk in the ring. Actually, it would be cool if she broke his neck or crushed his ribs with his thighs; then you'd hear some screaming, then everyone cheered and went home.

As for humiliation, I’ve had some minor cases with the oil wrestling; I fought against one girl that’s 6’1” and weighs about 190 – 195 lbs. and she’s not fat, she’s quite toned, now, I’m 5’10” and weigh about 145 – 150 lbs. I didn’t have a chance. She’s amazing at wrestling, but very strong and very powerful; I didn’t score a single point against her, I thought I was going to get crushed, and the girls have ways of humiliating us guys sometimes, I won’t get into detail about it though. She’s a nice girl though; we “hung out” after, and, yeah, we had a good time, I’ll just leave it at that.

Probably the most embarrassing thing was a match I did a few months back and I won because my opponent was disqualified; she kept groping me. The match started good, I was winning by the first round for pins and submissions, and then in the second round, my opponent started grabbing at me and the ref lady warned her, however, my opponent just kept up on it and finally in the third round, the ref lady blew her whistle and told her she was out of the fight, she’s done; and when the ref lady says something you listen; she has a brown belt in Jujitsu. I remember all the women in the audience just booing the ref telling her she should let the girl have her fun. Thank goodness I get pretty good paid for that.

@Firefly:

Though it is true that with some simple styling she could fix her hair up nice, and I do like the way the shorter hair looked on her.

I like the shorter hair because it is cuter, but also gives her more of an edge. I'll have to watch the second episode along with Kill La Kill when I get some time, probably later this week.

• @neonwalrus:

I knew they were going to do something like that; however, I still stand by what I said about that one scene on Kill La Kill trumping the fan service parts on this wrestling anime. I can understand how some people would be turned off by this fan service, but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to the one scene on Kill La Kill. I mentioned this, but it goes to show, sometimes, being less graphic with a piece of artwork/entertainment can actually make something more disturbing or more powerful.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about that scene in Kill La Kill, the dialogue and presentation in that one scene was very poorly handled; I just also found the close ups of Sakura's crotch accompanied by the crying to be an uncomfortable duo. It's less that they chose to do either on its own and more that they combined the two.

• @Firefly:

I agree with you wholeheartedly about that scene in Kill La Kill, the dialogue and presentation in that one scene was very poorly handled; I just also found the close ups of Sakura's crotch accompanied by the crying to be an uncomfortable duo. It's less that they chose to do either on its own and more that they combined the two.

I see why you feel the way you do about this; I know, you’re not too big into fan service, I know you’ll tolerate it if a show is good enough; of course I also understand if it goes too far you would reserve the right to drop it at that point. So I get why you feel a little uncomfortable regarding Sakura’s big defeat on the first episode there, which was quite sexual and was upfront about the sadomasochism.

For me personally, it didn’t bother me at all for a few reasons; firstly, I watch a wide variety of anime and some are pretty high up there on the ecchi levels, so this was quite tame; however, I still do enjoy them as legitimate anime. It’s the same sort of thing with Kill La Kill; I have no issue whatsoever about the fan service even though I didn’t expect it, it was just the one scene that I had an issue with; and it trumped the ecchi on this wrestling anime because for me, it crossed the line; even with the audio and visual factors, but more importantly, I knew it was going to go there. I still like the anime though.

Secondly, as I outlined with my experience, I understand the fetishism and sensuality that is occurring and I also know they can expand and improve on it; it is possible for someone to look sexy while winning too. Despite what I have been saying about the wrestling I do, it is actually a lot of fun and I actually it; it also helps that I get paid pretty well, so there’s nothing wrong with some extra cash. The girls I work with are really cool and nice people, I do win about 50% of my matches, which is pretty good because the girls are quite well trained with wrestling; most of what I learned was from them. So overall, I can't complain even when I do get my ass kicked; and I am there of my own volition.

Thirdly, when I was talking a while back about seeing if this anime is good, I said it with the implication that I knew it was going to be ecchi and quite sexual in nature. However, when I mean to see if it’s good, I usually mean pacing, story and character development.

I think of it this way, when I order a burger the menu tells you what’s on it, now, if it’s a burger from a place I’ve never had even if I know what toppings they put it; I’m still not sure if it’s going to be good or not. This analogy works because people like and dislike certain things on their sandwiches just as they do with anime.

Using this analogy, if Wanna be the Strongest in the World is a burger, then surely has tomatoes and pickles and promised and it’s a delicious burger. In the case of Kill La Kill as a burger, I expected just lettuce and ketchup and found they put some tomatoes and pickles on it as well; it still tastes good, I just didn’t expect it. As for the scene that crossed the line; that’s like a bone fragment or an unchewable piece of fat that was in the meat.

However at the end of the day, we can’t deny, with her drive and determination, Sakura is a likable and relatable character and one can’t help but want to root for her.

• This show is an ecchi burger with a slice of plot and I don't understand how you can see it as anything else

Which, that's cool if you like that, it's whatever to me, but I think it's pretty laughable to try and justify it by digging up some sort of meaningful story out of this. The show is an ecchi built around putting the girls in compromising positions, and wrestling happens to be an activity where these positions can reasonably take place. Then you sort of flesh it out with a pretty heroine that so far has not shown any sign of being a round character, and you've got a cult following for the seedy

I don't think you should put so much thought into a story that was a tertiary priority in the development process

• @Riles:

This show is an ecchi burger with a slice of plot and I don't understand how you can see it as anything else. Which, that's cool if you like that, it's whatever to me, but I think it's pretty laughable to try and justify it by digging up some sort of meaningful story out of this.

It’s easy to see more than just fan service; I’m open minded and come to this stuff with a different perspective. The best part is that I’m not going out of my way to see character development, or trying to blow it up into something meaningful; I just notice it most of the time. The other aspect is that a plot doesn’t have to be overly complex to be good; this is a common misconception most people suffer from.

I’m not going to deny that it has a lot of eroticism to it, and I’ll admit, I don’t mind it, as a matter of fact, sometimes I like it; however that doesn’t inhibit the show’s ability to provide me with a decent story, pacing and a good character. Sakura is the foundation of this show, if she wasn’t relatable, or dynamic, or round I would be indifferent to her and lose interest in this series. Of course, I want to see what the other characters are like as they’re presented. The weird thing is, for an all out ecchi show; the fan service content is quite minimal in comparison to other shows I've seen. Lastly, just to reiterate; the rape like scene on Kill La Kill trumped everything on this show; and while I like that series a lot so far; it, like Wanna be the Strongest in the World is quite simple and straightforward as well.

If you want to know what’s laughable is when people try to convince me that the ecchi shows I happen to like are bad when I know better and have my own assessment.

• In SekaTsuyo's defense, I think Kill la Kill is pretty terrible too. They're both just spectacles on what it is you want to see, whether it's a bunch of action or a bunch of fanservice, and neither have any real meaning to them other than to just get your endorphins fired up about what you're seeing

Which, again, cool if that's what you're looking for, I couldn't care less what you find good and bad, but to say the story is good when it's quite obviously just a string that connects the fanservice and/or action meat together into something mildly coherent is quite silly

Story and characters aren't the only thing I look for when I want to watch something I think I'll like, as evidenced by the fact that I'm watching something like this, but the story here is clearly not anything stimulating, on any level, and I think it's silly that you would talk in-depth about it at all

Same goes for the characters - I don't know what in the world you saw that made you think she's dynamic or round, but she is clearly neither, as she has experienced no growth in any aspect yet. They've already established that she already has a no-give-up attitude, and that she is already a competitive person that tries all kinds of new things, so it's not like she's learning anything new by not giving up now, or continuing to try and fail, or even taking up wrestling in the first place. She is decidedly flat, and unless she does something sometime during the rest of the show that was not expected of her, she will remain as flat as everyone else involved