Evangelion 3.33 FUNimation Pre-Release Talkback

• Please, whoever shows up to the Evangelion 3.33 English Dub Premiere this week, post on here to notify us if they announce the DVD/Bluray release date!

• I am just glad they were able to get it done in a timely manner

• I have a guess as to when Eva 3.0 will come out on DVD/BD, it'll probably mirror 2.22's release here in the states with a release in late March 2014. However since we know the dub has been made, perhaps not finished yet, I have my hopes set for sometime in February. The only evidence I have to back any of this up is the relation to when 3.0 hit Japan and also how long it takes for us to get it here stateside.

FYI: No I was not at NYCC but I would've loved to have gone for this reason alone.

• From the Youmacon schedule:

EVANGELION 3.33 SUB PREMIERE
    Panel Room A (Cobo Level 2,
    Grand Ballroom A). 2PM-4PM. The
    premiere of the third movie of the
    Neon Genesis Evangelion film series.
    This latest Gainax feature will feature
    the Funimation Dub and is not to be
    missed.

So, which is it? Dub or sub?

• LOL. I remember the conflicting info about whether or not PsychoPass was to be shown dubbed at AX.

Funimation is messing with us, that's my theory on this lol.

• @sidereal_presence:

LOL. I remember the conflicting info about whether or not PsychoPass was to be shown dubbed at AX.

Funimation is messing with us, that's my theory on this lol.

It was confirmed at the start of the screening that the con had been given a copy of the subbed version. But the BD didn't play in their equipment in the scheduled room (I don't know if they managed to get it to work in another video room), so they went ahead with their backup: the English dub of Wolf Children.

• Does anyone know if they'll be including the 60-page booklet that came with the Japanese release?

• Looks like most screenings will be around January 10th and 11th. Click here for theater dates and times.

• Why is Funimation not saying anything about the new release date for the DVD and Blu-Ray? There's NO theatrical showings going on in the States, and Eleven Art's not responding either. I'm actually feeling insulted that this whole situation's being ignored…Evangelion is a HUGE release, and it's shameful that there's been no effort to keep us updated.

Did something go wrong with the distribution? Did your company lose the home video rights? Why is all this secrecy necessary?

You're only worsening the situation by maintaining this silence, and you're going to lose a massive portion of your customers for outright ignoring the extremely valid questions they have about your reluctance to answer them. Pretending that we don't exist is beneath you, and I (and the countless others you've inconvenienced) deserve an explanation after two whole months of hearing absolutely nothing.

• They do have it up for pre-order at Amazon. But it isn't showing a release date.

I see it took in around $175K here in the US with $110K of that in the first weekend. WHich doesn't sound that great for being in 82 theaters the first week.

But I see it also brought in over $60 Million worldwide.

• Still, there's no reason for Funimation to be so tightlipped about a new home video release date…it's like they're too scared to say anything about it since the delay's really, REALLY pissed a lot of people off (not just in the States, but also in Europe and Australia).

(I've also got a really irritated feeling that all the acquisition news they've been announcing lately is a blatant attempt to avoid talking about Evangelion 3.33...seriously, it's starting to make a depressing amount of sense: I've seen it happen before with other companies.)

• The longer this situation goes on, the more and more I think something went wrong with the distribution rights, but Funimation and/or Eleven Arts aren't doing any damage control…it's genuinely frustrating that they're treating this mess like nothing's happening.

Does anyone in the company see, or even care about, the backlash? Does it even bother them that people are cancelling their preorders?

• @axlegear83:

Does it even bother them that people are cancelling their preorders?

Considering they'll just re-order it after FUNi announces their revised date, I doubt it. ;)

I'd also like to say you're over-reacting, but I don't think you'd listen.

• Then why have they been keeping so quiet about it? I still think it's odd that they're beating around the bush with a release as big as this.

Aren't you curious that Funimation and Eleven Arts seem to be ignoring the situation?

Can't they just say "hey, we're working on it" or something like that?

• While I apologize for being too dramatic again, I still think it's bogus that we've all been left in the dark…is it that Funimation can't say anything about a new release because of some contractual issue?

• @axlegear83:

is it that Funimation can't say anything about a new release because of some contractual issue?

Most likely, they haven't reset the schedule yet, we'll know 3 months prior to actual release date.

"Contractual issues" could also explain why we're not allowed to peek behind the curtain, as well. ;)

P.S.- forget about Eleven Arts responding to disc-release inquiries, they have nothing to do with that.

• @TIL:

P.S.- forget about Eleven Arts responding to disc-release inquiries, they have nothing to do with that.

Yeah, I know: I just wanted to find out what the deal was with the theatrical schedule going cold (I think Georgia and Minnesota are STILL listed as "TBA")…I was curious if that had something to do with Funimation waiting to post a release date for the DVD and Blu-Ray.

• I saw that Evangelion 3.33 is listed for "Summer 2014" in Right Stuf's recent print catalog…incredibly vague, but at least it's something. It'd still be nice to get a confirmation, though.

• I think I'm just going to import the bluray from Japan now. I'm tired of waiting with no explanation. Don't really care anymore that it's cheaper for NA version.

• I'm actually starting to hope that another company gets the Rebuild license at this point…whether or not the "reverse-importing" issue is the real reason things are getting delayed, the complete lack of updates from Funimation shouldn't be tolerated, especially now that it looks like the whole "we rescheduled the DVD/Blu-Ray release for the theatrical run" excuse was essentially baseless.