Princess Jellyfish

• This is such a great series, so I'm creating this thread to discuss it; first off, I've heard people, and I'm not going to mention names, assess this show as a "girl's" show, or that someone of the male gender won't "get it" or be able to enjoy it as much as a female viewer. Well, I call that a stinking heap of rubbish. As I said, I enjoyed this show that entire way through; and I "got it" because I could relate to the characters.

The characters, and that's all of them, were relatable, even though some of them didn't get as much floor space, there was a lot revealed about this characters in the limited screen time they were allotted.

This series was done well enough that as a viewer I sympathized with all of these characters pertaining to some point in my life in one way or another; the lack of confidence, the self-consciousness, the intimidated state of being and the awkward shyness; these are issues everyday normal people face regardless of their gender. I guess what I’m trying to say is that this show could’ve been made with all the genders of the characters reversed and everything would’ve pretty much been the same; that is why I personally feel that this show is very accessible and everyone has something to gain from watching this series.

Aside from all that I’ve mentioned, it is very entertaining; a great dynamic of developed characters, some well-crafted and innovative jokes, a great story made up of crucial subplots all put together in a well-executed anime.

• Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah Jellyfish is one of my fav Noitamina titles. The characters are great. And for a shorter series The overall narrative is very well executed & paced.

• I saw it a long time ago, I just figured it was about time to set up a thread to talk about it.

• oh, I see, my bad blushes. But yea, glad you enjoyed it.

• What? Have you not seen my favorites or looked at my collection pictures? I have had a copy of this series since shortly after it came out and has been a top favorite for quite some time now.

On the topic of the series, I implore people to check this series out.

• I couldn't really get into this series as I had seen (the original) Genshiken prior to seeing it. Genshiken not only handled its similar themes with greater skill but it also had a focus on anime otaku, which was more "relatable" (and humorous) than the wonky obsessions of the PJ cast. This series also didn't handle the "drag queen" bit all that well. Compared to something like Maria Holic it fell flat in that department.

I'd advise seeing Genshiken (original series) after seeing this.

• Genshiken? Really? Seriously? Wow…. OK then. Given your post though you obviously watched this show for a different reason then others might so..... to each their own & what not.

Personally I cant stand any of the Genshiken anime, and wouldnt even put it in the same boat myself. But like you said it all goes back to what you can relate to, so yeah, kind of arguing personal experiences at that point. But yea, i'd say PJ felt more genuine/realistic/relatible then anything from Genshi, heck I'd say even WATAMOTE, is more relatable. But again theres not really a good bar to measure that buy, But Genshi being relatable to non-Japanese Otaku, honestly never heard that one before.

• I watched Princess Jellyfish only because of how Josh Grelle & Chris Bevins gushed over it and because it was heavily implied to be a "litmus test" for dubbing of on-disc extras.

Genshiken was a humorous tale of otaku bonding and coping with the real world. Comparatively, PJ was not. Genshiken also had a superior art style. Unfortunately, the PJ dub wasn't up to Funimation's usual standards. I'd actually have to give the edge to the very mercurial Genshiken dub. Josh Grelle did not seem appropriate for the drag queen role, though that whole issue was handled so ham-fistedly by PJ iteself that I'm not certain that any actor could have done it well.

I once heard a quote to the effect that if you want to see the Mayan pyramids you have to see them before the Great Pyramids or else they'll be "meh" because they, great perhaps in their own right, will pale in comparison to the greater glory of the Egyptian pyramids. It definitely applies here.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Genshiken? Really? Seriously? Wow…. OK then. Given your post though you obviously watched this show for a different reason then others might so..... to each their own & what not.

Now hold on, his opinion is as valid as ours, and I do want to check out this Genshiken anime, I’ve seen a few clips and it looks like it would be very enjoyable.

@Soundmonkey44:

But yea, i'd say PJ felt more genuine/realistic/relatible then anything from Genshi, heck I'd say even WATAMOTE, is more relatable. But again theres not really a good bar to measure that buy, But Genshi being relatable to non-Japanese Otaku, honestly never heard that one before.

Yeah, it comes down to what resonates with people, and as much as I enjoyed Princess Jellyfish and am able to get behind it and enthusiastically recommend it, I don’t expect it to yield the same results for everyone as they did for me. Actually, even Zac Bertschy admitted to respecting Princess Jellyfish, but wasn’t able to get into it or enjoy it as much as he would’ve liked to. That’s fine and all, but when he said that it’s a show only girls can get, I have to call a fallacy there in the sense that it feels like he's implying; if he couldn't enjoy it, then the cause is his gender and thus, no male could enjoy, or understand it.

As for that WATAMOTE, that’s on my list of anime to watch.

@sidereal_presence:

I couldn't really get into this series as I had seen (the original) Genshiken prior to seeing it. Genshiken not only handled its similar themes with greater skill but it also had a focus on anime otaku, which was more "relatable" (and humorous) than the wonky obsessions of the PJ cast. This series also didn't handle the "drag queen" bit all that well. Compared to something like Maria Holic it fell flat in that department.

I haven’t watched Genshiken, but I do disagree with your sentiments about Princess Jellyfish, the only real issue I can take away from it is that it would’ve been nice to have some bonus OVA episodes with the characters in other awkward situations. I thought the way the characters were presented and the drag queen bit was quite well done, and that humor, awesome, and unique.

@sidereal_presence:

Genshiken was a humorous tale of otaku bonding and coping with the real world. Comparatively, PJ was not.

Actually, I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one, not in regards to Genshiken, but about Princess Jellyfish and the otaku bonding/dynamic, humor and of course dealing with the real world.

If you simply mean that you felt that Princess Jellyfish did pretty well with everything, but Genshiken merely did a better job of all this in comparison, then you’re entitled to that opinion and I’m not one to force you to change your mind or tell you you’re wrong for feeling that way.

@sidereal_presence:

I'd advise seeing Genshiken (original series) after seeing this.

Yeah, that’s another anime I would like to check out.

• @Neon: I never said that his opinion wasnt valid. I was just surprised by it. I never said it was wrong. Just that I disagree and personally cannot relate to it just as he couldnt relate as well as to PJ

@Sidereal: Again to each their own. Personally the Genshiken series is in my worsts list. But that doesnt make your lovd of it wrong, neither of us is wrong just different in views/opinions.

• @Soundmonkey44:

@Neon: I never said that his opinion wasnt valid. I was just surprised by it. I never said it was wrong. Just that I disagree and personally cannot relate to it just as he couldnt relate as well as to PJ.

Fuck buddy, take it easy, there's no need to get defensive, I'm not trying to call you out or make you out to be some bad guy. I disagree with what he said about Princess Jellyfish in terms of the issues he pointed out, however; I haven't seen Genshiken so I am unable to do a fair comparison of any sort.

I do hear from various people that this Genshiken series is pretty good, so I may have to check it out, although I am skeptical that it will top Princess Jellyfish in my personal tastes, I suppose I will have to wait and see when I watch Genshiken, eventually.

• Lol, sorry. Rough evening. :p

But yeah, I personally find Genshiken was made more for the hardcore JP Otaku, it has it's moments here & there, but honestly the whole time I watched it, I kind of felt like I was looking into some weird mirror version of Big Bang Theory or Community, like, I know this is nerdy people doing nerdy things, but for some reason I can't really get into it, and it ended off becoming fairly off putting to me. I do encourage you of course to check it out and see what you think, but I personally just couldn't stand it after all was said & done. Just too much of a personal disconnect, lack of ability to care about the characters.

But again I realize that's just me and respect side's right to love it. Although personally Princess Jellyfish &. WATAMOTE Will always be my fav versions of "Otaku" or socially awkward people in anime, and I guess Tatami Galaxy could probably fit in there to a degree as well kid was abit awkward I guess.

But yeah, despite enjoying all those other titles, Genshiken just didn't click with me, where as Jelly become a quick favorite.

• @Soundmonkey44:

But yeah, I personally find Genshiken was made more for the hardcore JP Otaku, it has it's moments here & there, but honestly the whole time I watched it, I kind of felt like I was looking into some weird mirror version of Big Bang Theory or Community, like, I know this is nerdy people doing nerdy things, but for some reason I can't really get into it, and it ended off becoming fairly off putting to me.

So is it safe to assume there are a lot of inside jokes with Genshiken?

@Soundmonkey44:

Although personally Princess Jellyfish &. WATAMOTE Will always be my fav versions of "Otaku" or socially awkward people in anime, and I guess Tatami Galaxy could probably fit in there to a degree as well kid was abit awkward I guess.

Princess Jellyfish is already a favorite of mine, so I want to watch that WATAMOTE anime as well; the concept in and of itself is intriguing. Then The Tatami Galaxy, oh, how I want an English Dubbed Blu-ray of that series; I was watching some episodes a few weeks ago (it’s been almost a year since I watched the whole thing) and it’s just a great series, the comedic execution of the jokes alone make that series worth watching. But when there’s a narrative overlap after a few episodes where other paths the protagonist had taken earlier start showing up, I knew this series was going to be something that much more special.

• @Neon: Yeah, Genshiken kind has that, if your like this you'll totally find this funny, but outsiders probably won't get it as well vibe, IMO anyway.

As for WATAMOTE, again I hate to admit it, but the lead gal is basically a female version of me from Middle School to my early high school years, I was pretty much just like her sans the weird sexual obsession of listening to Drama CDs where men say horrible things to you XD. But yeah, the paranoia, attempts at over compensation, wishing for horrible things to happen to people you saw as foul despite you being just as bad, afraid to talk most of the time, yeah. Pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of the ugly truth of a youth suffering from social anxiety disorder. It's dark, and the girl is cray-cray but you can't help but root for the little nut job cause you've either been there or know someone who has. * seriously half the time you just wann hug the poor gal the other times you wanna punch her for being so self defeating*

But yea, WATAMOTE is an interesting piece to say the least sadly the anime only adapts the first 3 volumes of the manga. Thankfully Yen Press is putting it out stateside so fans can get the whole thing!