Saddest Anime You've Watched

• Which anime did you find sad, even made you cry?

NOTE: USE SPOILER TAGS IF YOU'RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT SAD ANIME SCENES.

I've seen some pretty sad anime, but the most sad ones I've seen are Grave of Fireflies and Clannad After Story.

• After Story is the only one that's made me legitimately cry

Honorable mentions to Clannad, Chobits, and Little Busters! Refrain for making me tear up

• Clannad After Story made me cry the most.

Also Clannad and Angel Beats made me tear up as well.

• Might as well go all out on this one. Not everything is going to be necessarily sad, just whatever gets my feelings all worked up :P

Scale of 1-10, with 1 being a lump in my throat, and 10 balling my eyes out:

10: Kyon's monologue (Disappearance of Haruhi)
    9: Homura embraces Madoka and reveals her past (Madoka Magica - EP. 11)
    8: Hinata's promise to Yui (Angel Beats - EP 10)
    7: Kotomi receives her gift (Clannad)
    6: Perrine tells Shizuka about Yoshika (Strike Witches Movie)
    5: The "I'm so sorry I didn't know" moments of Kyon to Yuki and Madoka to Homura
    4. Makoto gets her wish (Kanon)
    3. Mai tries to commit suicide (Kanon)
    2: Homura's despair grows (same episode)
    1: Maka befriends Crona (Soul Eater)

• Clannad and Angel Beats are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

• @7Jaws7: Dude, do you just absolutely REFUSE to use spoiler tags? You're dropping some HUGE bombs in your post. >0<

• Texhnolyze might just be the most tragic anime ever created.

Are those really spoilers? #7 could be, I guess, but the others seem innocent IMO.

• This post is deleted!

• I love these topics ^^ I'll go with the same format jaws did.

10. Anohana as a whole, there are multiple points in that show that cause me to full on cry.
    9. Rumbling Hearts is another one that causes me to hit those ridiculous emotional moments, especially when they involve Mitsuki.
    8. Fuko's ark in Clannad, always hit's me extremely hard.
    7. Anything involving Ushio in Clannad that isn't happy go lucky, I'm not good with little kids having a hard time.
    6. The end of Makoto's ark in Kanon, her being my favorite character up to that point didn't help this in the least.
    5. You're gunna laugh at this, but the flashback episodes of Ur when she does you know what to save Grey and Lion when they're kids.
    4. Saber from the Fate series. That's all that really needs to be said honestly.
    3. The end of Air, I'm almost tempted to toss this one up a few spots.
    2. When Mahoro in Mahoromatic

! sacrifices herself for Suguru, even though she comes back in the end. Honestly, I have no idea why I'm tossing spoiler tags on this, if ya haven't seen it at this point it's you're own fault.
    1. The beginning of Bunny Drop with Rin during the Wake/Funeral, that one get's me good.

There are plenty of others that could replace these ones, I just can't think of them at the moment. I really like anything that tears at the heartstrings.

• As per user request I humbly ask members use spoiler tags in this thread.

• @Rift:

Honestly, I have no idea why I'm tossing spoiler tags on this, if ya haven't seen it at this point it's you're own fault.

that's just dumb. there are always new people entering the fandom and as well as people who only watch a little at a time and with over 100 new shows each year, they have a lot of anime to watch. In fact, 3 years, 9 months and 6 days worth of anime at the moment. cant reasonably expect everyone to have seen the same things you have

• @Getchman:

that's just dumb. there are always new people entering the fandom and as well as people who only watch a little at a time and with over 100 new shows each year, they have a lot of anime to watch. In fact, 3 years, 9 months and 6 days worth of anime at the moment. cant reasonably expect everyone to have seen the same things you have

They shouldn't be treading these waters in the first place.

I think I did pretty well composing my list while keeping the spoilers tame; my rule of thumb is to know how big the spoilers are before posting them. By the logic some are going by, we would essentially have to spoiler tag everything in this thread, which defeats the purpose of the function.

• @7jaws7:

They shouldn't be treading these waters in the first place.

Other than, like, perhaps someone getting into anime is interested in watching something really sad and wanted to check out this thread as a good starting point?

• Riles, we have a recommendations thread for people that want to watch something that will make them cry - without having any major details given away.

• Assuming, of course, that there is only one thread where you can learn about new anime, and that it would be necessary to ask a question in a different thread in the same section rather than going straight to the source already available

If someone asked about sad anime in that thread today they'd probably get linked to this thread

It's just poor taste to write out casual spoilers in any capacity, especially when there's such an easy tool to hide them

• I'm little surprised that no one has mentioned Cowboy Bebop. There's a ton of sad moments in that show.

• @DrewFace520:

I'm little surprised that no one has mentioned Cowboy Bebop. There's a ton of sad moments in that show.

Really? I don't remember "teh sad" starting until episode 24 or so, what came before being a largely continuity-free series of "one offs" about (at peak) 3 goofballs and their crazy antics as they bummed about in space; Bebop was, unfortunately, a "procedural"…in space.

4. Saber from the Fate series. That's all that really needs to be said honestly.

Indeed. Originally intended to be a man (Fate/Extra) but then changed into being a woman, with the Fate Universe explaining that the Grail chooses the bodies for the reincarnations and that they do not have to be like the originals, that their memories are altered to match; King Arthur was converted into a woman twice by that capricious cup and he didn't even realize it.

• Well, on my list of depression would be:

! Air: The Movie
    Anohana
    Another
    Asura
    Basilisk
    Blassreiter
    Chrono Crusade
    Code Geass: R2
    Corpse Princess
    Cowboy Bebop
    Destiny of the Shrine Maiden
    Ef: A Tale of Melodies
    Fate/Zero
    Fate/Stay Night
    Ga-Rei: Zero
    Gantz
    Gilgemesh
    Glass Fleet
    The Glass Rabbit
    Gunslinger Girl
    Haibane Renmei
    Hell Girl: Two Mirrors
    Hell Girl: Three Vessels
    Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade
    Jyu Oh Sei
    King of Thorn
    Lunar Legend Tsukihime
    Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful
    Now and Then, Here and There
    Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
    Shiki
    Sola
    Texhnolyze
    This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
    Tokko
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    Umineko-When They Cry
    When They Cry-Higurashi/ most of Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai
    Witchblade
    Wolf's Rain
    X TV

• Shin Sekai Yori had me feeling down about the human condition. It also removed any childish notions that superpowers would be beneficial to society!

• Kanon, Clannad both archs and Other worlds, are my top 2 made me cry shows. Angel Beats has many in them. Yui and Kanade's storys were big tear jerkers for me. Alot of other shows had choke me up moments werea tear miht have come.
    Fruits Baskets has soem moments. Favorit is Kisa's story

Naruto Shippuuden

! Jirays death and Naruto feeling of loss when he hears the news.

Fairy Tail had a few parts in it that kinda choled me up as well.

• For me it has to be Angel Beats with the story of Yuri, Angel (Kanade), and Otanashi (I'll leave it at that)

Another show is Elfin Lied….. (Poor Lucy)