2014 Anime Villains Tournament Nominations Thread

• After a very long layoff since the last one, I am bringing back the Anime Villains Tournament. If it isn't obvious enough by the title, this thread is for offering up your own recommendations for who should be in it. I'm aiming for either 128 or 256 total depending on how many nominations I get. As I've done with the previous tournaments I already have 20 automatic qualifiers thanks to the series of videos that inspired this idea in the first place.

edit
    For those that don't want to watch the video or just don't have the time (it is pretty long after all) I'll list the automatic qualifiers here.

Johan Liebert - Monster
    Legato Bluesummers - Trigun
    Light Yagami - Death Note
    Sosuke Aizen - Bleach
    Ladd Russo - Baccano!
    Griffith - Berserk
    Makoto Shishio - Rurouni Kenshin
    Shinobu Sensui - Yu Yu Hakusho
    Frieza - Dragonball Z
    The Major - Hellsing Ultimate
    Gankutsuou - Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
    Dio Brando - Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
    Darcia The Third - Wolf's Rain
    Nakago - Fushigi Yuugi
    Akio Ohtori - Revolutionary Girl Utena
    Gauron - Full Metal Panic
    Chouji Suitengu - Speed Grapher
    Vicious - Cowboy Bebop
    Hellmaster Phibrizzo - Slayers Next
    Queen Delphine Eraclea - Last Exile

So yeah… have at it folks, this thread should be open for nominations up until the end of this month. A long time but I wanna make sure everyone really gives me their best ideas.

Only a couple of rules for nominations here:

• Each person can not suggest more than 10 villains
      ** This is for the sake one one person not overwhelming the nominations list.
    • Each person can only suggest 1 individual villain per anime
      ** You can't nominate groups, Team Rocket for example, but you could pick Jesse, James, or Meowth
      ** You can't just pick all the villains from the same show or franchise. If you nominate Frieza, then you can't also throw in Cell and/or Majin Buu. :P

To make things clear, just because I say that an individual can not suggest more than one character from the same series or franchise does not mean that it applies to the final group of participants for the tournament. Who makes the final cut for the 128 (or 256) depends on who gets nominated and how many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAnqATOUns
    ^ Promo video from the last tournament (thanks to Gyt Kaliba), new one to be made hopefully…

• Could you post who the automatic qualifiers are? It's been forever since I watched that video countdown.

• I absolutely love that the preview image for the vid is Papillion. Perfection. :P (And still not sure if I'll have the time or will to make a new vid…but we'll see).

At any rate though, stickied for Tournament preparation!

• @rosebrook:

Could you post who the automatic qualifiers are? It's been forever since I watched that video countdown.

Ah yeah sure thing, it is a pretty long video after all, but it definitely gives you good reasoning behind every single choice. I'll just edit my first post.

• Here's what I've got so far, I'll update this post as I think of more:

1. King Bradley/Wrath - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    2. Medusa Gorgon - Soul Eater
    3. Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Moon Stars
    4. The Anti-Spiral - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    5. Drosselmeyer - Princess Tutu
    6. Squealer - From the New World
    7. Female Titan - Attack on Titan
    8. Kirei Kotomine - Fate series
    9. Aldra - Queen's Blade 2: The Evil Eye
    10. Balalaika - Black Lagoon

I wanted to include somebody from Pandora Hearts but it wouldn't feel right with current manga revelations and the character I really would've liked to have nominated can't be because it's not covered in the anime….

• 1. Akio Ohtori - Revolutionary Girl Utena

2. Melona - Queen’s Blade

3. Kyubey – Puella Magi Madoka Magica

4. King Bradley/Wrath – Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood(already mentioned)

5. Harry Mcdowell - GunGrave

6. Naraku - Inuyasha

7. Hiroto Minaka - Sekirei

8. Happosai – Ranma ½

9. Aion – Chrono Crusade

10. Ai Enma - Hell Girl

• I always have a really hard time knowing who the villains are in anime, because anime does a really good job of explaining the bad guy's situation and personality, and why they do what they do (by which I mean, their reasons are always more than "TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"). Add to the fact that so many villains end up becoming allies eventually. Every worthy villain I can think of right now ends up helping the hero eventually in the story, or was actually a good guy the whole time

I always prefer to call them antagonists

• Some of these are kinda spoilery… but I'm not really sure how to avoid that...

So, uh... yeah.

1. Kyuubey - Madoka Magica
    2. Makashima Shougo - Psycho-Pass
    3. Anemone - Eureka Seven
    4. Miyo Takano - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
    5. Shizuri Mugino/Meltdowner - A Certain Scientific Railgun
    6. Asagami Fujino - Garden of Sinners
    7. Gilgamesh - Fate/Series
    8. Balalaika - Black Lagoon
    9. Myotismon - Digimon Adventure
    10. Precia Testarossa - Lyrical Nanoha

• 1.Lucemon - Digimon Froniter
    2.Anemone - Eureka Seven
    3.Master Asia - Mobile Fighter G Gundam
    4.Valgarv - Slayers TRY
    5.Pasder - King of Braves Gaogaigar
    6.Medusa Gorgon - Soul Eater
    7.Lordgenome - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    8.MEgatron/Galvatron - Transformers: Cybertron
    9.Tekkeaman Evil/Tecnoman Saber - Tekkaman Blade/Tecnoman
    10.Talpa - Ronin Warriors

• 1. Kyubey - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    2. Maximilien Robespierre - Le Chevalier D'Eon
    3. Drosselmeyer - Princess Tutu
    4. Medusa Gorgon - Soul Eater
    5. Solf J. Kimblee - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    6. Leontes van de Montague - Romeo x Juliet
    7. Hamdo - Now and Then, Here and There
    8. The Claw - GunxSword
    9. The D-Reaper - Digimon Tamers
    10. Akito Sohma - Fruits Basket

• 1. Yujiro Hanma - Baki the Grappler
    2. Tenzen - Basilisk
    3. Raoh - Fist of the North Star
    4. Crocodile - One Piece (JO said that he was the first runner-up)
    5. Crystal Boy - Space Adventure Cobra
    6. Harry McDowell - Gungrave
    7. Natasha Radinov - Gunsmith Cats
    8. Jake Martinez - Tiger & Bunny
    9. Love Machine - Summer Wars
    10. Izaya Orihara - Durarara

EDIT: Swapped out Claire for Jake.

• 1. Akuma Homura - Madoka Magica: Rebellion
    2. Ryouko Asakura - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    3. Kid Buu - Dragon Ball Z
    4. Tetsuo Shima - Akira
    5. Asura - Soul Eater
    6. Envy - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    7. Caster - Fate/Zero
    8. Knives Millions - Trigun
    9. The Rail Tracer - Baccano!
    10. James - Pokémon

• ^ Jesus, SPOILERS MUCH?!?!? >0<

• 1. Diva - Blood+
    2. Creed Diskenth - Black Cat
    3. Byaku - Kekkaishi
    4. The Millennium Earl - D. Gray-man
    5. Cain Nightroad - Trinity Blood
    6. Madame Marciano - Coyote Ragtime Show
    7. Alphard Alshua - Canaan
    8. Laura - RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne
    9. Ukyo - Samurai 7
    10. Luna - Casshern Sins

• Took me a night, but I thought up my own suggestions Lucky. One of which you're just gonna love. ;)

1. Marionette King (I"s Pure)
    2. Beerus (Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods)
    3. Meowth (Pokemon) (JUST FOR YOU LUCKY! :P)
    4. Tony (Blue Gender)
    5. Ladd Russo (Baccano!)
    6. Aion (Chrono Crusade)
    7. Kyouji Mujo (s-CRY-ed)
    8. Love Machine (Summer Wars)
    9. Digimon Emperor (Digimon Adventure 02)

And for this one, I admit, I'm worried about spoiling things for people…but since others have with other suggestions, I guess I'll go ahead and do this one too. Besides, I suppose a tournament of this exact variety should probably come with a spoiler warning as it is. ^_^;

10. Tohru Adachi (Persona 4: The Animation)

• @Gyt:

And for this one, I admit, I'm worried about spoiling things for people…but since others have with other suggestions, I guess I'll go ahead and do this one too. Besides, I suppose a tournament of this exact variety should probably come with a spoiler warning as it is. ^_^;

This is a difficult tournament in that respect. It's not fair to leave a character out because declaring them a villain/antagonist would be considered a spoiler, but at the same time it's still a spoiler. It's just something we'll have to live with.

I was debating about attaching the Female Titan's name to her entry, but decided to leave it off since it's clear who the villain is without spoiling her real identity, especially since the show is still so recent, but some characters don't get off with something so easy because naming them as a villain IS the spoiler and they don't have any other identity to be referred to by.

…Thinking back maybe I should've just referred to Bradley/Wrath solely as Wrath with the distinguishing factor being the show he's from, but since Wrath is different between the two FMAs I was also thinking that might not be enough because somebody who's only seen 2003 might not be aware that manga/Brotherhood Wrath is a completely different character. Not to mention we included both names for his entry in previous installments of this tournament, IIRC.

• It's just kinda unavoidable in this tournament format, I think. A lot of great villains are great because you don't know they're the villain until a key point in the story. That can make them memorable. And for the tournament to really be fair, you have to be able to include them.

Cases like the Female Titan are fortuitous, because everyone knows who you're talking about even without a name. Even though it's not exactly rocket surgery figuring out who she is…

• Yeah, it's especially true for something as recent as Attack on Titan. The downside to the spoiler effect being in more effect there though, is also that the character is never going to have a better chance than when it's fresh in people's minds too.

In the end, I opted to include the spoiler-ey one I did also because, the knowledge of him being a villain pre-dates the anime even, thanks to the video game. So thankfully, it's a fairly old spoiler in some ways.

• Like the true identity of the Female Titan couldn't have been more obvious from the moment she showed up looking virtually identical to her human counterpart, and her vast knowledge of the Corps tactics; about as subtle as an exploding colostomy bag in a McDonald's line up

• Homura is a mild spoiler; how and why she is a villain are the real big ones. I don't expect her to go far because of that (hell, she could lose in the first round) but I do want another chance to root for her.

• @7jaws7:

Homura is a mild spoiler; how and why she is a villain are the real big ones. I don't expect her to go far because of that (hell, she could lose in the first round) but I do want another chance to root for her.

While I agree that Homura is a villain of sorts, I would also be so inclined to humor the notion of her being a tragic hero.