Nintendo in Trouble?

• So, there's no use tiptoeing around the issue, from the information I've come across it seems there is a sad truth; Nintendo are in a bit of a pickle.

This quote here prompted me to create this thread:

@Riles:

Regardless of whether or not Nintendo's games are quality, the fact remains that they're blowing it because they're not making their console titles cross-platform

I agree that this is something of a liability; I understand that they want to promote their online game store where a customer can get old titles like Super Mario 3, or, maybe even Star Tropics, but if the Wii U doesn't play Wii games, that sort of, sucks.

@Riles:

Their superior mobile gaming is keeping them in the race, but it's only a (lengthy) matter of time before they either have to fold in the console business, or start outsourcing their Holy Grail first party titles to PC and all three consoles

Along with: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-30/nintendo-head-takes-50-percent-pay-cut-outlines-smart-device-strategy

This is somewhat discouraging since Nintendo have been in the console gaming market longer than Microsoft and Sony and as it stands, are beginning to dominate this particular market.

With Nintendo, I've always liked their flagship title; Super Mario Bros, and I have the deepest respect for a game franchise that has been around for nearly thirty years still manage to keep the game play fresh and challenging but still maintaining the basic premise and game play of the first Mario Game.

I've also seen my roommates playing the 3D version of the game and that looks like a blast.

I don't really want to ramble on, so I'll leave this with; I really do hope things work out for them, I hope they can get their sales up and stick around. According to that article, it looks like Nintendo are trying a new marketing strategy and let's hope for the best.

• It's true Nintendo is losing money in like the first time in forever! But I try to not get too worried, every company goes through it's ups & downs and I trust Nintendi can weather these tough seas and eventually the fad of shooters and what not will end!

I do agree Nintendo might need to start taking more aggressive approach. Not change their ways, but maybe come at the modern gaming community from multiple angles, offer a variety of games, maybe release a platformer & RPG at the same time, then double team with a racer & a fighter. Or maybe be ballzy buy MegaMan from capcom and make a 3D Classic MegaMan Platformer!

Perhaps try to get comics, toons & anime of their characters made again. I know some have been wanting to see A legend of Zelda anime forever! And Archie comics In the past has pitched ideas for ongoing Mario & Kirby books but been denied.

But yeah, just thinking out loud.

• It's their console. There's nothing wrong with the games they put out, but it doesn't really make a difference when you can only put out one quality game every five months

The hardware they've put out the past two generations have been a generation behind the other consoles. The WiiU is about on par with the 360 and PS3, and no amount of gimmicky motion and iPad control schemes is going to fix games that either A. can't run on the WiiU, or B. are too ugly to warrant purchasing on the WiiU. Which is a shame, because Nintendo is really, really, really good at making games beautiful. It just sucks that they limit their ability with such subpar hardware and force third party developers to either scale down their games or avoid releasing it entirely

Nintendo would be just fine if they had the capabilities to properly play Call of Duty on its console. If they fixed their console, people could justify buying the WiiU since it would have quality games from first AND third party developers. They'd also have smooth sailing if they could figure out what in the world this Internet and PvP business is all about. Until they finally get around to fixing both these things, though, they'll always be behind Sony and Microsoft

• Well, I hope the new Super Smash Bros. could help to save the Wii U platform. In fact, it's my primary motivation for buying the console. And the 3DS is selling well, so it's not all doom and gloom for Nitnendo.

• Can't wait for the NEW Smash Bros & Donky Kong Countey Games!

Also, personally I'd love to see A new Star Fox.

• Also a new Metroid game, with it being something like a survival horror game, which I say would suit the series pretty good.

Nintendo's insistence on "innovation" is coming at the severe expense of online capabilities, graphics, third-party support and overall appeal to the core audience, which is the largest audience since the late 90s. I say that they begin to focus on development on their upcoming console and ultimately discontinue the Wii U after the new console gets released.

Remember: Graphics Makes Gameplay, and it's been like this since the late 90s due to the emergence of the core audience thanks to the proliferation of PCs and FPSs that make them sell.

• Graphics make game play is a limited & idiotic view on gaming. Plenty of games have great graphics and still suck. And had no idea that was a thing in the 90s!? None of my friends were that way, I don't think the graphics thing really started till the turn of the century.

It's A game not a theatrical film, I'll take fun & innovation over genericism any day! But I guess I'm in the minority.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Graphics make game play is a limited & idiotic view on gaming.

It's really not. In fact, it's about the only thing left that video games can significantly improve on, since game mechanics for a game in one genre are going to work pretty much the same way as any other game in that genre. Games need to be pretty, and nobody's going to play them if they're ugly or stilted

All the best games this century have been defined by their appearance and their immersion because mechanically, every game works just about the same way as every other game in the same genre, with the exception of a few tweaks

• @Soundmonkey44:

Graphics make game play is a limited & idiotic view on gaming. Plenty of games have great graphics and still suck. And had no idea that was a thing in the 90s!? None of my friends were that way, I don't think the graphics thing really started till the turn of the century.

The 90s is when intense pushes for more realistic looking graphics and online multiplayer started to become the norm, mostly thanks to FPS games. Why you're saying that none of your friends were that way is because their grew up playing with an N64 and/or PS1 as opposed to a PC.

• C'mon guys, games were always about the graphics. Those 90s games look like crap today but they were pushing the envelope back then, just as they do today; Duke Nukem 3D was praised for its graphics. Every last drop of graphical performance was wrung out of the N64 during its time.

Laughable as it is today, I remember the PS2 being marketed on the strength of its graphics.

• And here I thought people played games to have fun. :p

But mat this point we've gone so far graphics wise complaining about 1 game not being as HD as another game is silly imo

• @Soundmonkey44:

And here I thought people played games to have fun. :p

Graphics are fun. Graphics can greatly affect your level of fun. I don't know too many people that like playing games that look visually unappealing

I do not understand what you are complaining about

• I'm complaining about putting the shiny wrapper over the actual candy inside. That's the only complaint I ever have with anything!

• Graphics are just as much of the candy as game mechanics are. I'm sure you've heard of the phrase "eye candy" and it couldn't be more relevant for gaming. Do you play video games with your eyes closed? I sure hope you don't

Graphics can elevate a game from "fun" to "astounding." Similarly, graphics can downgrade a game from "bad" to "unplayable"

• True, but many these days just get super nitpicky to the point of ridiculousness.

• Many what get nitpicky over what? Many people get nitpicky over graphics? I certainly haven't seen it, unless you're talking about the uncanny valley, in which case, that's been around for a while and doesn't appear to be getting any less terrifying

Art style and animation isn't something that's generally discussed in great detail for games. Animation and cartoons, sure, because for whatever reason, people feel compelled to explain WHY they like or don't like what they're looking at, possibly because the visuals are one half of the medium and it relates closer to paintings and photographs than video games do. People reviewing videos games don't do that. Most praises or critiques against a visual style are pretty general, aside from games such as Journey or LIMBO, where the visuals make up 90% of the game

Maybe you're confusing "nitpicking" graphics with "a desire for greater" graphics, because it's true that there is always a demand for polygonal games to look even more realistic than the last game. Realism is an extreme desire right now in gaming, because the ultimate goal for a lot of gamers is to feel the euphoria of being completely immersed in a game, with both sight, sound, and mental anxiety/excitement. Graphics help add to that greatly, as does crazy technology such as the Oculus Rift and a lot of the visual features that the XBone flaunted during last year's E3 to expand the game outside of a simple television screen

• Ah, the old graphics vs. gameplay debate. I like games to look pretty, and there's no doubt that each studio should put as much effort into making their games as visually engaging as possible. Nevertheless, playing the game should always be even more fun than just looking at it.

What good are graphics when the netcode is completely messed up, huh? I'm looking at you, Battlefield 4. The Frostbite 3 engine might be amazing, but it's easy to forget that when you're constantly frustrated over being gunned down despite being behind cover.

• Unfortunately BF4 is not all that gorgeous graphically. Perhaps compared to the 360/PS3 (ie:tech that is a decade old) but compared to where PC gaming has been it doesn't really cut it.

• Guess im in the minority then, I still prefer fun cartoony/anime esque games over all that super cereal realistic emersion BS.

• @7jaws7:

What good are graphics when the netcode is completely messed up, huh? I'm looking at you, Battlefield 4. The Frostbite 3 engine might be amazing, but it's easy to forget that when you're constantly frustrated over being gunned down despite being behind cover.

Even still, you're more receptive to the game itself even if the mechanics are buggy as all get-out. For a game like BF4, the difference in graphics means a difference between saying "I want to like it" and "I don't like it"

Like I said earlier, or possibly in some other thread, Nintendo is capable of making really beautiful games. The original Wind Waker lends credence to that statement as quite possibly the most beautiful game of that generation. I have little doubt that if they took their graphics and designs to the next level with better engines and hardware, they'd be sitting atop the gaming world, free to give every attractive third party game the best it could be as well as maximizing their own first party assets to the Nth degree. Sadly, they went with motion controls and a touch screen instead of graphics and quality online play

@Soundmonkey44:

Guess im in the minority then, I still prefer fun cartoony/anime esque games over all that super cereal realistic emersion BS.

Casual pleb

• I heard that Nintendo will announce a new Wii U Zelda game at this year's E3. Let's not count Nintendo out yet.