Why is Sentai Filmworks Still Refusing to dub To-Love Ru?

• I am wondering, how come no matter how many people put in such requests for dubs, Sentai Filmworks still refuses to dub To-Love RU, as well as some other anime like SNAFU or Golden Time? And often those people get ignored by Sentai Filmworks or blacklisted from their social media page?

• Only logical reason: Budget.

• Entertainment is something very in the now or nostalgic. If you look through the most popular shows on any service you'll notice mostly currently airing or fairly old stuff with some super popular stuff from the past few years mixed in. To Love-ru is from 2007, over 10 years ago so certainly not recent nor is it nostalgic. HIDIVE's "most popular" filter seems broken since it's showing me every single show the service has in Canada, some of which I know for a fact would not make it here. I had to scroll quite some time and still did not run into any TLR on Crunchyroll (which ecchi stuff was showing up so I know they weren't hiding it) meanwhile Haikyuu is still in the top 30 despite not having any new content in over a year. Sentai has probably decided TLR isn't pulling in views nor will it hit that nostalgic itch. If you want To Love Ru in English Seven Seas has started releasing the manga (and before you ask manga is much cheaper to translate than the casting/recording/editing of a dub) and I'd imagine that's probably the only real avenue to be taken.

Keep in mind if this thread devolves into attacking any users or companies it will be locked.

• No one here knows

• I think this thread would be better titled as why does Sentai refuse to dub their most popular shows since you're talking about more than just To Love-ru, I'd say go tell them that you want it but since you talk about blacklisting and blocking I'm assuming you already did, I obviously have my beliefs on why but I won't say them because I'm not allowed.

• popular

alt text

• @Nobu sir, please don't devolve the thread into attacking people.

• @Spaceshotx7

It's because there isn't going to be any new To-Love RU anime coming out to bolster interest. While the popularity of Haikyuu is part of the reason they went back and added a dub (the fact that the dub is new is also part of why it is still getting so many views now), it's also the fact that there will probably be another season in the future.

Looking at the My Anime List popularity, the most popular show without a dub from Sentai is "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou" (by kind of a lot), but the source material for that is over, so no dub for that either. SNAFU is also more popular than Haikyuu, so if that were to get another season, I could see them considering a dub.

• @Dalmation1013 MAL isn't a good source for that kind of stuff they're very biased and what makes them even worse is they allow people to write reviews and rate things before they even come out.

• @lcdude It's not a perfect system, but the popularity is just how many people have a show included on their anime list. Pet Girl is on 542,257 and Haikyuu is on 468,665. These are hard numbers (unless you are implying that they are making this up) that can be useful for comparisons. The sample audience is flawed, since the site seems to cater towards people who only watch subbed shows and it seems to have a large population of people who pirate, but it still gives something to base an argument off of.

• Sentai didn't think it was worth dubbing when they first released it, and it's not worth it now.

• @Doublethree100 Not 100% sure what you mean by attacking companies. But we do have a right to say stuff what we hate about them. Even Sophie said it was fine if somebody has an issue with Funimation.

• @MidnightAoshi Criticizing and attacking are different things. Sophie allowed criticism (which I agree is an important thing to allow). By attacking Sentai I more meant their employees but when that type of post has happened on the forums it's worded as Sentai. I don't believe I've seen any such posts from you so posting as usual should be fine.

• @MidnightAoshi I think the problem is that too many people here believe that criticism or saying things we hate that companies do is attacking them or their employees.

• @lcdude You're probably right since the things I've seen at least haven't been bad.

• @Doublethree100 Just wondering since I've posted things about how I think Netflix and AoA are terrible but nothing about the people that work there.

• Honestly to me it's normal that Sentai doesn't dub everything. You can't really compare them to Funimation or Netflix that have dubs for a huge majority of their shows.

• Also you have to take note that Season 1 was released around 2008 2009 which was a big economic downturn, so it probably didn't sell all that well.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Why is Sentai Filmworks Still Refusing to dub To-Love Ru?:

I am wondering, how come no matter how many people put in such requests for dubs, Sentai Filmworks still refuses to dub To-Love RU, as well as some other anime like SNAFU or Golden Time? And often those people get ignored by Sentai Filmworks or blacklisted from their social media page?

alt text

Presumably because the people who get blocked are the same people who ask the same questions many times expecting a different answer, to the point of harassment and abuse

tl;dr sounds like a personal problem

• @Riles typically it's only after once based on what I've found with getting friends and social media followers to ask them, but I guess it goes on with my statement about how people consider criticism attacks, I guess asking for a thing that isn't liked by someone you're asking is considered harassment.

• Also, why is Netflix bad? One thing I like is they increasing the number of west coast dubs, which until now was fairly uncommon.