Mod feedback and suggestions for improvemets

• First off I'm not sure how mods are chosen or if they have a certain set of rules they have to follow and I'd like to know a bit more about this.

Now on to my feedback and issues in the past moderators used to be pretty respectful but as time has gone on some mods have become more disrespectful, biased and show favoritism towards certain users while discriminating towards users who's opinion they don't agree with or just personally don't like, for example if a user they like insults or is disrespectful to a user whom they happen to not like they'll allow that user to be insulting but if the user they don't like says somthing in their defense they'll get on to that user for defending themselves and threaten them with a ban I don't feel like this is fair.
    Also increasingly with some mods if they an issue with a user being somthing they said that they dissagree with or whatever issue they have instead or resolving the issue in a proper way some mods turn to being insulting, bullying them or saying things to just make them feel bad, which I'm pretty sure isn't the correct way to handle it.
    A suggestion on how to make imporvemts would be to every so often have mods join a discord chat or some kind of meeting with whomever is in charge of moderators and give them a refresher course on the rules they have to follow if they have any rules, if they don't have rules I'd suggest making some, another suggestion would be if mods have a set of rules they have to follow would be to make them a little tighter.
    If anyone has any other suggestion to add or feedback you're welcome to do so.

• @lcdude said in Mod feedback and suggestions for improvemets:

First off I'm not sure how mods are chosen or if they have a certain set of rules they have to follow and I'd like to know a bit more about this.

I can't tell you about Hardy but Classy, Got and I were added because Hardy has been asking for help for a while. We're mods over on the Funimation Discord and since the mod guidelines are the same on both Jay and Sophie thought it would just be easier to use us since we're already trained. Yes we do have guidelines we have to follow (due to contracts I'm not sure how much if anything I can publicly show so I'll refrain) and Jay does watch over what we do and if there's an issue he addresses it within the group.

I'll refrain from commenting on most of the other stuff since I don't want this to turn into a fight. One last thing on

some kind of meeting with whomever is in charge of moderators and give them a refresher course on the rules they have to follow if they have any rules,

That does happen. Every once in a while we have mod meetings run by Jay where we talk about various issues brought up by both Jay and the mods. Once again I don't think I can reveal much about these but what you suggested does happen.

• @Doublethree100 Well since those meetings do happen and at least in my opinion the issues seem to be getting worse then they're not having much of an effect so maybe my other suggestion of making some more strict rules of what mods are allowed to say and how to treat people or a better idea might be to make the punishment for not following their guidelines a bit worse, but that might be pointless since normal users aren't allowed to know the guidelines mods have to follow and the problem could rest within the guidelines themselves allowing mods to act this way.

• @lcdude Out of curiosity can you provide examples of mods showing favoritism towards some users and discriminating against others? I'm not the most active member on these forums but I really can't recall the mods behaving in the way you have described.

• @MRy27 said in Mod feedback and suggestions for improvemets:

@lcdude Out of curiosity can you provide examples of mods showing favoritism towards some users and discriminating against others? I'm not the most active member on these forums but I really can't recall the mods behaving in the way you have described.

@MRy27 OH I KNOW this is truth. It one of the reason why I left there discord chat. I still remember SpacemanHardy saying "Where mods Jay going to believe us over you" that to this day still piss me off it show how arrogant he is.

• @MRy27 I was told I wasn't allowed to do that because it would be calling out specific people.

• Fwi. I'm a discord mod. Gohan was asked to calm down by another mod. when he failed to do so he went to another channel and proceeded to yell that the mods were abusing power when he was merely silenced till he calmed down.

He was given a one hour ban for continuing to argue with all the mods and it was approved by admins. He's been free to return ever since.

As A mod we remain as impartial as possible. But I will say I've had threats lobbed at me too by people and that's not cool

• Also I would like the make the point here that ALOT of the mods in the discord chat that will well miss the interpret rules to there own vision. Like if I say something that don't like about an anime character but that it not anything that bad just my own view point there said you need stop now or will give you a strike. This is VERY BIASED BY THE MODS. Just b/c you don't like does NOT mean I half to agree with it. Will not name which mod did this in discord chat but you know who you are.

On a side note I will said this right now I no issue with @classyspartan being a mod I think he deserved it I disagree with him anime thing from time to time but he still been overall very fair with me and has not gone over the line like some other mods I seen. @Doublethree100 while I not sure since I not really talk to Doublethree100 that much overall in the discord chat from what I seen on forums site I think he being very fair to as a mod.

• Yeah I totally agree. I've seen mods team up on arguing with a user who had a different opinion. A mod liking to mess around with a user when they clearly didn't like it. Mods just deleting things because they don't know about something that's public knowledge and won't hear users try to explain. Even some other messed up things that just blows my mind that's even allowed.

• @Queenira said in Mod feedback and suggestions for improvemets:

Fwi. I'm a discord mod. Gohan was asked to calm down by another mod. when he failed to do so he went to another channel and proceeded to yell that the mods were abusing power when he was merely silenced till he calmed down.

He was given a one hour ban for continuing to argue with all the mods and it was approved by admins. He's been free to return ever since.

As A mod we remain as impartial as possible. But I will say I've had threats lobbed at me too by people and that's not cool

@Queenira Even though I was right. :/ And mods still did not like it. And that not the only issue I had with the discord chat. And as @MidnightAoshi point out was the case for that issue you just brought up.

• @gohan6425 said in Mod feedback and suggestions for improvemets:

Doublethree100 that much overall in the discord chat from what I seen on forums site I think she being very fair to as a mod.

while I thank you for considering me fair for future reference I am male.

Yeah I totally agree. I've seen mods team up on arguing with a user who had a different opinion.

I think I know at least a couple instances you're referring to. This is something I think we do really need to work on. A lot of the time it is simply us disagreeing and arguing/debating which is fully encouraged in chat settings. It has escalated in some instances to look like mods are ganging up on users however. Personally once it gets to that point I've tried stepping out and trying to pull the mods into mod channels. I don't think we've handed out any strikes based on these arguments (the only time I can think of is when a user took to DMs to personally attack a mod but the strike was over the attack not the argument) so while I imagine it isn't very nice to be on the receiving end but know a user will never get in trouble because the mods had an argument with them (if we tried Jay or Tim would shut that down quick). Hopefully we will become better in this aspect.

Edit: the above is referring specifically to Discord.

• @Doublethree100 said in Mod feedback and suggestions for improvemets:

@gohan6425 said in Mod feedback and suggestions for improvemets:

Doublethree100 that much overall in the discord chat from what I seen on forums site I think she being very fair to as a mod.

while I thank you for considering me fair for future reference I am male.

@Doublethree100 My bad fix. :/

First off I'm not sure how mods are chosen or if they have a certain set of rules they have to follow and I'd like to know a bit more about this.

Now on to my feedback and issues in the past moderators used to be pretty respectful but as time has gone on some mods have become more disrespectful, biased and show favoritism towards certain users while discriminating towards users who's opinion they don't agree with or just personally don't like, for example if a user they like insults or is disrespectful to a user whom they happen to not like they'll allow that user to be insulting but if the user they don't like says somthing in their defense they'll get on to that user for defending themselves and threaten them with a ban I don't feel like this is fair.
    Also increasingly with some mods if they an issue with a user being somthing they said that they dissagree with or whatever issue they have instead or resolving the issue in a proper way some mods turn to being insulting, bullying them or saying things to just make them feel bad, which I'm pretty sure isn't the correct way to handle it.
    A suggestion on how to make imporvemts would be to every so often have mods join a discord chat or some kind of meeting with whomever is in charge of moderators and give them a refresher course on the rules they have to follow if they have any rules, if they don't have rules I'd suggest making some, another suggestion would be if mods have a set of rules they have to follow would be to make them a little tighter.
    If anyone has any other suggestion to add or feedback you're welcome to do so.

What's up Icdude?

First off thank you for your feedback, it's not the easiest to put your feelings out there like that for all to see and dissect. I'll try to answer you question as thoroughly as possible.

How Mods are chosen:

As Community Manager, I seek out active members of the Funimation community who I view displaying positive and helpful behavior on a consistent basis to other members. This includes but is not limited to: Answering questions, pointing out bugs or misinformation to staff and/or users, sparking meaningful engaging conversation and encouraging growth and possibilities for anime fans.

Each mod signs a code of conduct document and receives an overview of community guidelines.

We have team meetings periodically to talk about the state of the community, potential events and areas of improvement.

The current moderation team assists with not only the Funimation forums and Discord, but additional social media channels as well like Reddit, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. They swim through the "digital sewage" if you will, so that you don't have to. This includes deleting harmful content, verbal abuse, mis-information and spoilers, incorrect pricing and content postings and answering tons and tons of fan questions daily. (We receive easily over 400 a day.)

They do all of this as a volunteer and supporter of Funimation.

I ask that you continue to be respectful and patient with them as I ask the same of them with the community in return.

If you've experienced a moderator not meeting the above criteria, please e-mail me at Jay.Hairston@Funimation.com with as much detail, screenshots, etc. about the situation as you can so I may review it.

This post can remain open for discussion as long as :

-Feedback is constructive and progressive in nature. (Past incidents can be reported to me in private via my e-mail above.)

-There is no singling out of users/moderators. (*Will DELETE immediately)

I'm very curious to hear how and where you think the community can use more moderator support!

Have a great weekend everyone,

• To be completely honest for an improvement yeah maybe a refresher could work. I honestly think rethinking who should be a mod since some of the things that I've said I feel like some they only became a mod because their good friends with a mod before they got the title. Since some of the new mods on here and in the discord before I left all seemed pretty close for the year and a half I've been around. But I doubt that'll happen.

• @JayHairston Well you'll definitely be getting an email from me this weekend.

• @JayHairston I don't know if I could do screenshots because I would have to take so many to give the full context, It would probably be easier to send links to threads where the problems are and explain the context of the issues.

• @lcdude Yeah I know what you mean. I'm also having an issue that a mod had already edited people's posts in a thread I was going to screenshot.

• This post is deleted!

• @MidnightAoshi yep I've also seen a couple that I wanted to screenshot that have been edited.

@MidnightAoshi yep I've also seen a couple that I wanted to screenshot that have been edited.

@lcdude Screen shot sometimes doesn’t do it. Especially if you’re on the discord chat. Because things get lost by via conversation when you’re always in that particular section of the chat and people are always chatting and talking so things from conversations can easily get lost. Also if Jay is not present or not online if he at a con or whatever. That is where easy outbursts can easily happen like an issue that happened to me several months back. Where mods can do that and push the whole I a mod card do you will do no more of that even though you not doing anything wrong just giving an opinion about a character for an anime. Yes I hitting the reply before. Which are biased statement from mods. Also can be interpreted as forcing your opinion down someone’s throat and because you’re “the boss” that make your view right. Just happened to be in many incidents in the discord chat and here. And I very short Tempra for that crap. And when admin are not there to see what other mod of course I’m going to let my voice be hear about becuase it not right. When jeck around on a Daily basis about why I don’t like the original Japanese score of Dragonball Z in like the Bruce Faulconer score better because of legitimate stated reasons and have even why it better and still get the whole we don’t care “it’s better because it’s the original” crap on YouTube all the time and I see mod then do similar stuff like it show a clear biased to mod own view objectives. I would like to also point out that I don’t have it in for every single mod as I said earlier. There some here I think are doing a good job. But other either need work on it or need to resign (btw there only 1 on discord and 1 that on both that in my view is at that point). I that is one of the biggest issues when it come to the mods here. And I get it hard to be mod and not be biased I am mod and a admin in some of the Cartoon Fight Club Google Plus, Fan Discord, Amino I know it hard. But it done we all need to bite the bullet on. @JayHairston

• Like I said. I'm sorry for how I act.