Super Bowl LI vs. The 1958 NFL Champion Game which had the better overtime finishes you thing?

• Ok so this is going be a little discussion, Every since last Patriots won last year Super Bowl in OT, everyone talk about how it was the greatest come back ever in NFL history. And talk about it the 1st Overtime in Super Bowl History. However though it the 1st Super bowl Overtime it was NOT the 1st Champion Game to go to Overtime in NFL History. See the Super Bowl was not creator until 1966 during the NFL/AFL War between the 2 leagues merger made because of owner having to paid alot of money to give the play the draft or rise the old team from the old league get him. So when this happen the Champion game name was change the Super Bowl. Before 1960 when the AFL was creator the NFL Champion Game was called "The NFL Champion Game" and in 1958 this Champion game when to Overtime. At the time it was the 1st in at that time 40 years of NFL to ever go to Overtime period for any game (since there was no overtime back then matches would just end in a tie until it was a champion game like this was). When NFL Network did a Top 10 Overtime Finishes of All Time like 4 years ago 1958 NFL Championship Colts vs. Giants made number 1. This was before Super Bowl LI happen. So with now a debate match since someone in the champion game when to Overtime beside the 1958 NFL Champion nickname "The Greatest Game Ever Play" was the only that did until now. Which was was a better finish?

Johnny Unties Baltimore Colts did not win the coins toss and did not get ball 1st in Overtime. Giants would go 3 and out and would punt ball to the Colts and Johnny Unties NEVER gave it back! And would go on to score a TouchDown for the win. However the rules back then was 1st scores wins which means a Field Goal would have won the game it too. But Johnny was WELL in Field Goal and could had then kick it but he did not do and brought it all the way to the 1 yard line gave it then to the Running Back and get the TD for the win.

More info on this game from NFL Films https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjGxpE5BX0o

Tom Brady Patriots won the coin toss took it down field and never gave it back. Scores the Touchdown to win the game. Rules was that you had to scores a TouchDown to win the game in Overtime on a coin toss possession. Field Goal would have give the Falcons ball to tie again or get a TD to win it. Tom drove all the way down to the 2 yard line gave it to his Running Back for the win.

It really kind Ironic that both overtimes end with the quarterback hand it off to the Running Back to win the game. Rather then throw a TouchDown Pass.

My Verdict: While this is a very touch one to called since both are very similar at the way that both ended. I half to give it to Johnny Unties Baltimore Colts. For ALOT of reason. 1. Colts did not get ball 1st and it never guaranteed you get a changes to get the ball if you don't win the coin toss under the old overtime rules which Bardy had the new overtime rules. 2 Unlike Tom Bardy which get his play from the sidelines. Johnny Unties CALLED HIS OWN PLAYS ON THE FIELD. Which no quarterback does that today that rely on technology to radio in the plays called which Johnny NEVER did that he called the game on the field. 3. Defenses could HIT YOU BADDLY BACK THEN. And you had take it no whining alot. 4. The players and coaches who play the NFL Champion in 1958 did not even know there was an overtime rule which everyone knows the overtime rule today. 5. Pass Game was not big back then. Most of the time you run the ball back in that era but Johnny Unties was the 1st QB who would pass the like a modern day QB would do. 6. The Colts had to play this champion game at the Giants Home Stadium! Unlike today where you play on a Neutral Stadium for the Super Bowl the East and West Conferences which where the Conferences back then Rotated Every Year where the Champion Game was played. In 1958 was the Eastern Conferences Year which mean the Giants got the Home Game for the champion game.

So that my though what your view on this opinions? Do you agree or disagree?

• Hello Gohan,

I have to admit, i don't follow football too closely (especially if the Giants are out) I think i became very disillusioned after "deflate gate". You have to laugh, they make all this money, yet, still feel the necessity to cheat.

Hoping that you are doing well,

P.J.

• @P.J. said in Super Bowl LI vs. The 1958 NFL Champion Game which had the better overtime finishes you thing?:

Hello Gohan,

I have to admit, i don't follow football too closely (especially if the Giants are out) I think i became very disillusioned after "deflate gate". You have to laugh, they make all this money, yet, still feel the necessity to cheat.

Hoping that you are doing well,

P.J.

@P-J What that have to do with this discussion???

• I guess it was more of a general comment, when you mentioned the Patriots, flashed my mind back to that scandal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflategate

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P.J. said in Super Bowl LI vs. The 1958 NFL Champion Game which had the better overtime finishes you thing?:

I guess it was more of a general comment, when you mentioned the Patriots, flashed my mind back to that scandal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflategate

Sincerely,
    P.J.

@P-J But this is about Super Bowl 51 this had nothing to do with the Deflategate. The Deflategate controversy was during the game before Super Bowl 49 in the AFC Champion Game. So that is irrelevant to this topic.

• (Patrick Warburton voice) Got it, thanks!