Higurashi when they cry ever getting released again.

• Hello people I just had a question about the anime higurashi when they cry was looking around for the dvds and couldn't really find them other than people who are selling there's for like $400. Is this anime ever going to be released again like other animes that got the s.a.v.e dvds. If it would come out on blu ray even better. Any info would be appreciated.

• If it ever gets released again, It wont be by funiamation. they are not interested in the show anymore

• By Funimation…No.
    By someone else....Maybe, who knows, have to wait and see....but probably not.

Oh well at least we have the manga from yen.

• This is like the top show on my wish list of properties that need to be re licensed and finished dubbing (and maybe redub what has allready been done)

Damn you Geneon, why could you have not struggled forward just a little longer, at least till you licensed and dubed the second season, now leave us with one season dubbed but no longer licensed with copies going for obscene prices and the other primary season requiring dark journies into the lands of pirates to get the proper ending so the series can make any sort of sense (i will neither confirm nor deny having made this journey myself).

Its sad that such an amazing property is allowed to be forgotten in the states… sad panda....

• Much like SoundMonkey said, being released again by FUNi is highly unlikely.

Personally, I've heard rumor that it sold well when FUNi had it, but the real reason they let it go was because they didn't wanna be stuck with its sister series Umineko (which was a truly terrible seller in Japan). If it is true then it wouldn't surprise me at all. The whole "we'll give you this, if you take this too" kinda thing. Which probably happens more often than any of these anime companies in the USA would ever admit.

But anyways, yeah I'd like it if someone licensed it and brought the remaining seasons and OVAs over as well. I'd probably buy it even if it was sub-only. It was a very interesting series and it had a time loop going that didn't make you wanna bash your head against a wall for eight episodes of something that seemed to feel endless.

• Seeing as NISA has Umineko, it would make most sense if they would pick it up. But they have yet to dub anything so it's doubtful that Kai and the rest would receive a dub. And I have no idea if Umineko did well for them, but if it did then it's possible they'd at least consider Higurashi. Personally, I'm really really hoping they're considering it.

• @LuckySeven:

If it is true then it wouldn't surprise me at all. The whole "we'll give you this, if you take this too" kinda thing. Which probably happens more often than any of these anime companies in the USA would ever admit.

maybe that explains piles like Masters of Martial Hearts getting licensenced and dubbed?

I just wish someone would pick the series up, Funi is of course my first choice, they seem to have the best quality and care for their dubs IMHO but i would be cool if someone just did a sub only release of just the two primary seasons

• @LuckySeven:

Personally, I've heard rumor that it sold well when FUNi had it, but the real reason they let it go was because they didn't wanna be stuck with its sister series Umineko (which was a truly terrible seller in Japan). If it is true then it wouldn't surprise me at all. The whole "we'll give you this, if you take this too" kinda thing. Which probably happens more often than any of these anime companies in the USA would ever admit.

You serious, that was the reason why Funi decided not to retain Higurashi?

@LuckySeven:

But anyways, yeah I'd like it if someone licensed it and brought the remaining seasons and OVAs over as well. I'd probably buy it even if it was sub-only. It was a very interesting series and it had a time loop going that didn't make you wanna bash your head against a wall for eight episodes of something that seemed to feel endless.

You can let either NIS or Sentai handle that. It also would be better if Sentai (should they get the remainder) re-dubs the series with their own cast at Seraphim Digital, since the existing dub itsn't that good.

@8hatman8:

Damn you Geneon, why could you have not struggled forward just a little longer, at least till you licensed and dubed the second season, now leave us with one season dubbed but no longer licensed with copies going for obscene prices and the other primary season requiring dark journies into the lands of pirates to get the proper ending so the series can make any sort of sense (i will neither confirm nor deny having made this journey myself).

Its sad that such an amazing property is allowed to be forgotten in the states… sad panda....

Here's the reason, Geneon USA made a bunch of bad decisions that resulted in its demise: they supported the failed MiniDVD, licensed far too many series that were popular as fansubs but when licensed and released they bombed horribly, and that they licensed too many artsy mind-screw titles that had limited commercial appeal alongside the more mainstream titles. Other factors include that Geneon USA as Pioneer relied heavily on their Pokemon releases to fuel their businesses. When Geneon USA transferred ownership to Dentsu, all that cash generated from Pokemon (which, according to former meber Chad Kime, was 7 figures, totaling to about 7 million dollars) was given over to Pioneer Electronics as part of the deal between Pioneer and Dentsu, resulting in Geneon USA sitting in a huge debt to Dentsu. A few months later after the acquisition, Geneon USA only got 20-25% of the cash generated from 2003's sales, the rest of them went over to Pioneer. Also to mention is that Dentsu forced Geneon to get more titles than what they could afford, resulting in a financial black hole that ultimately consumed the company by the end of 2007.

• @Domayv:

You serious, that was the reason why Funi decided not to retain Higurashi?

That’s pure speculation, it could very well be the reason but also know that when this was coming out just about every US publisher was feeling the collapse of the anime bubble. Higurashi is a hard sell even in the best of times, it’s a great anime but hardly mainstream in its appeal, Funimation most likely saw poor sales on the first season and didn’t want to risk putting out a second season that would fail as well.
    @Domayv:

You can let either NIS or Sentai handle that. It also would be better if Sentai (should they get the remainder) re-dubs the series with their own cast at Seraphim Digital, since the existing dub itsn't that good.

In the past 5 years has any studio actually redubbed a series? I keep hearing people bring it up but redubs are pretty much a relic of the past right? It’s much more likely that Sentai would put out a shoddy sub only DVD release with multiple errors then redub something these days. NIS America would probably pass over the dub all together unless it was made easily available, but at least their release would be checked for grammar mistakes and missing text line.

Here's the reason, Geneon USA …snip…

Following what you said here’s the interview, really worth a listen if you’re interested in the history of anime and how a once thriving studio can die a horrible death.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-12-03

• @St0ck:

In the past 5 years has any studio actually redubbed a series? I keep hearing people bring it up but redubs are pretty much a relic of the past right? It’s much more likely that Sentai would put out a shoddy sub only DVD release with multiple errors then redub something these days. NIS America would probably pass over the dub all together unless it was made easily available, but at least their release would be checked for grammar mistakes and missing text line.

Funi re-dubbed the Yu-Yu Hakusho movie (first one) and the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball, Sentai re-dubbed Appleseed, Bandai re-dubbed the Silent Mobius films. As for NIS passing over the dub, Higurashi is dubbed at the same studio where NIS now dubs their games, so a dub could easily be available for them. They just choose not to do so because they think that they couldn't afford doing dubbing an anime title even though already some are worthy enough of being dubbed (such as Toradora!), and how do you know that Sentai's sub DVDs have a bunch of errors.

@St0ck:

Following what you said here’s the interview, really worth a listen if you’re interested in the history of anime and how a once thriving studio can die a horrible death.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-12-03

Yeah, I already listened to it before and already talked details as to why Geneon USA went defunct.

• @Domayv:

Funi re-dubbed the Yu-Yu Hakusho movie (first one) and the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball, Sentai re-dubbed Appleseed, Bandai re-dubbed the Silent Mobius films.

When were those redubbed? Most of those are movies and were done more than 5 years ago.

As for NIS passing over the dub Higurashi is dubbed at the same studio where NIS now dubs their games, so a dub could easily be available for them. They just choose not to do so because they think that they couldn't afford doing dubbing an anime title even though already some are worthy enough of being dubbed (such as Toradora!),…

It doesn’t matter where it was dubbed, it matters who owns the rights to the dub and the price they expect to be paid for it.

and how do you know that Sentai's sub DVDs have a bunch of errors.

Because I’m currently watching A-Channel, Bodacious Space Pirates, and several other series that I picked up off Rightstuf for the Christmas sale.

• @st0ck: Silent Mobius in 2008, Dragon Ball was re-dubbed in 2009, Appleseed in 2010, and Yu Yu Hakusho in 2011.

• Just in case nobody heard, Sentai Filmworks is releasing When They Cry season 1 on DVD and Blu-ray. It is available to pre-order now. I also believe that they purchased the rights to the second season so we might see a season 2 dub too.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/When-They-Cry-Season-1-Blu-ray