Basic Discussion

• I figured this would be a good place to start a threat to talk about this series. I have a pre-order on this anime along with a few others and out of all the anime I have on that order; PSYCHO-PASS is the one I’m most looking forward to watching.

I’ve avoided watching any trailers or episodes; this is almost a complete blind buy except for some reading I have done up on the premise of this anime along with checking out some of the art and character designs.

As far as the premise is concerned, at least to me, while it seems very similar to that movie Minority Report with the crime prevention idea, from what I gathered from additional reading, the way their society goes about it, is closer to Equilibrium. On Equilibrium they monitor emotions, art or anything that evokes any sort of emotional response is hidden away, and people’s behaviors are sterile. It also has a bit of a look to it reminiscent of the dystopian future on Blade Runner.

So taking all this into account I think that I will very much enjoy this anime, I can’t wait to watch it, which will be sometime in April when I take my next set of days off.

• Aren't 1-4 dubbed up for streaming today? Why not check 'em out? I've got a lot of hope riding on this show myself and, while I'll probably buy it regardless (I mean, I bought Fate/Zero…) I'd rather not blind buy @ 60+ bucks.

Did you preorder the LE?

• What is PSYCHO-PASS anyway. I know it's like Guilty Crown but more darker and a likable protagonist, but is there more to it?

• @sidereal_presence:

Aren't 1-4 dubbed up for streaming today? Why not check 'em out?

I see what you're saying, but I want to savor this show when I get it; I don't want to see any of it before I watch it, I want to go in completely blank.

@sidereal_presence:

Did you preorder the LE?

Yeah, it's a good deal and doesn't cost all that much extra; it's $96 at Rightstuf.

@Zethus:

What is PSYCHO-PASS anyway. I know it's like Guilty Crown but more darker and a likable protagonist, but is there more to it?

Your best bet is to just search it up on Google or check Wikipedia; it gives the basic idea of the story, but doesn't spoil anything; provided you don't read the "plot" section.

• Paying $100 for a show you don't really know anything about is sort of insane

• @Riles:

Paying $100 for a show you don't really know anything about is sort of insane

If you read my first post I mention that from the "research" I've done that the premise of this series appears to be like a few movies I enjoyed; Minority Report and Equilibrium. Add to that the fact that it was written by Gen Urobuchi, who has a squeaky clean track record in terms of the anime that he's involved with that I've very much enjoyed.

I only watched one episode of Fate/Zero before getting the entire series and I absolutely loved it, add to that list Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Gargantia. With my course of action, I will admit that I'm somewhat biased here, but the probability that I will be very much entertained by this series is quite high based on the information I have encountered with the premise of the series and what many people have said about it.

When it comes to ARMS studios on the other hand, I have to be careful; I adored Queen's Blade and Samurai Girls and liked the Ikkitousen series, even Mezzo was an enjoyable show; however shows like Master of Marital Hearts, Elfen Lied I found pretty bad, then the epic disappointment that was Wanna be the Strongest in the World.

So, I feel pretty confident about my pre-order.

• Still a ton of money for something of which you haven't seen a single second

When you're spending that much, like with Fate/Zero, you're probably fooling yourself into think it's good regardless of the actual quality, as some kind of quasi-Stockholm syndrome situation

• @Riles:

Still a ton of money for something of which you haven't seen a single second

When you're spending that much, like with Fate/Zero, you're probably fooling yourself into think it's good regardless of the actual quality, as some kind of quasi-Stockholm syndrome situation

I'm of the same thought.

Psycho-pass LE is now $86.39 thanks to the Funimation sale going on at RightStuf. IMO that's not so expensive (only ~$16 more than the normal edition) that I'd feel obligated to love it if I bought it but I'm still going to test out the first 4 eps before the sale ends to make sure that it is something that I'm really interested in.

• @Riles:

Still a ton of money for something of which you haven't seen a single second

Not really, I blind bought Bakemonogatari and I expected to enjoy it, but I really didn't care for it; I'm still stuck at episode 8, other shows I have like Rin or Demon King Daimao or Maijkoi Oh I do heavily criticize. So if you're implying that I will build up a show or force myself to like it because I paid money for it I can tell you flatly you're quite wrong, spending money on a given series doesn't degrade my ability to judge it objectively. As for other series I own, I have varying opinions, hence the levels or how much I liked them on my favorites list.

In the case of Fate/Zero, it delivered the goods, I mean once I started it, I couldn't pull myself away, I ripped through it in two days and loved every second. To be honest, I knew it was going to be good, I didn't know it was going to be that good.

In the case of this Psycho-Pass, with everything I've read, and hearing certain opinions, from certain people whom I trust when it comes to these particular types of anime so as I mentioned, there is a high probability I'm going to like this particular show. I'm very much looking forward to watching it, and I am tempted to check out those episodes out of the fact that I can't wait. It is one of the few exceptions I make in terms of blind buying, pretty much everything else, I sample a few episodes because I'm not sure; this Psycho -Pass, I'm feeling really good about it.

But if that's not enough; I can afford to take such a well calculated risk.

• Though Fate/Zero and Psycho-pass are considerably more expensive than those other shows.

…you know, I really do need to go back and watch the dub of Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. The sub was hilarious and the voice actors have really sold the dub over the years but I'm just not much of a rewatcher. I'm kinda surprised that you've gotten that but haven't powered through it yet.

I guess if you liked Gargantia then there probably isn't anything to worry about but I didn't much care for Gargantia when the UroButcher took it from being a scifi tale and turned it into a heavy allegory for Japanese youth entering the workforce. That gives me pause about Psycho-pass as I really don't want another UroButcher show that comes on strong but doesn't last long. Sadly if I want the LE it looks as though I'll have to take that chance.

• @neonwalrus:

If you read my first post I mention that from the "research" I've done that the premise of this series appears to be like a few movies I enjoyed; Minority Report and Equilibrium. Add to that the fact that it was written by Gen Urobuchi, who has a squeaky clean track record in terms of the anime that he's involved with that I've very much enjoyed.

I only watched one episode of Fate/Zero before getting the entire series and I absolutely loved it, add to that list Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Gargantia. With my course of action, I will admit that I'm somewhat biased here, but the probability that I will be very much entertained by this series is quite high based on the information I have encountered with the premise of the series and what many people have said about it.

When it comes to ARMS studios on the other hand, I have to be careful; I adored Queen's Blade and Samurai Girls and liked the Ikkitousen series, even Mezzo was an enjoyable show; however shows like Master of Marital Hearts, Elfen Lied I found pretty bad, then the epic disappointment that was Wanna be the Strongest in the World.

So, I feel pretty confident about my pre-order.

You lucky dog… splurging on anime like a boss

• @sidereal_presence:

Though Fate/Zero and Psycho-pass are considerably more expensive than those other shows.

Yeah, but with Fate/Zero it was one of those shows that reminded me as to why I got into anime in the first place; last year a had a few moments like that; watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Baccano, High School DxD and Queen's Blade Rebellion on Blu-ray were a few series that did that to me.

@sidereal_presence:

…you know, I really do need to go back and watch the dub of Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. The sub was hilarious and the voice actors have really sold the dub over the years but I'm just not much of a rewatcher. I'm kinda surprised that you've gotten that but haven't powered through it yet.

I have finished Rin, it was Bakemonegatari I haven't completed, Rin is only 6 episodes, it started off pretentious and it took me motivation to actually try and watch it, but around episode 4 (which was the best episode on there) it picked up. Overall, it was decent and enjoyable enough to watch, but I wouldn't be too quick to recommend it.

@sidereal_presence:

I guess if you liked Gargantia then there probably isn't anything to worry about but I didn't much care for Gargantia when the UroButcher took it from being a scifi tale and turned it into a heavy allegory for Japanese youth entering the workforce. That gives me pause about Psycho-pass as I really don't want another UroButcher show that comes on strong but doesn't last long. Sadly if I want the LE it looks as though I'll have to take that chance.

What can you do right? Me personally, I've grown quite fond of the storytelling Gen Urobuchi provides in anime; accessible, straight up entertaining, yet deep and interesting.

@T.Frost:

You lucky dog… splurging on anime like a boss

Well, it may seem that way, but aside from living costs I really don't spend a lot of money; I don't smoke, or drink, or partake in any massively expensive habits, I don't even do much for gaming. I keep a list of prospective anime I'm interested in getting so that I make my orders with rightstuf over $250 for the free shipping; which is worth it, which is why I do an order every few months.

Aside from the odd series, I don't do too many blind buys.

• So, I've watched Episode 1 of this and it was slow going as the streaming was having some serious issues: It goes about a minute before buffering and the visual quality is awful. This is a show that really needs to be seen in blu-ray 1080; this sub-DVD stream isn't cutting it. Though, even on bluray, all this CG is still going to suck…because that's what CG in anime does.

It is looking like it has the Fate/Zero problem with the gender balance though. The male characters are detailed in their art and in their nature, while the female lead looks glum and is horribly incompetent. She's like a combination of Robin Sena (Witch Hunter Robin) and Noa Izumi from Patlabor. She's almost a carbon copy of Izumi. Honestly, I'm getting the feeling that she's going to be the thorn in the side of this show.

So far, the dub seems a bit shaky...with the actresses. However, it is only episode 1 and it is stopping to buffer after every 3 words of dialogue now so I'll reserve judgment.

...Rin was pretentious? This coming from the guy who loved Fate/Zero? :)

• Akane learns and becomes more competent as the series progresses. Yayoi doesn't talk very often, so you won't have much to go on until her personal episode midway into the show.

• Without the bluray, I'm not sure that I can make it to the midway point of the show as it took me, due to the buffering, over 40 minutes from start to finish to complete episode 1. I've read on here that Funimation's streaming service decreases its stream quality to try and combat buffering, which might explain why the streaming quality was so poor. Whatever the issue is, it's on Funimation's end of things.

Kate Oxley played a much-better Police Inspector character in Darker than Black so this is weird as she's playing the polar opposite of her character from that show:from older, mature, competent and ruthless to very young, naive, immature, and useless. I guess that sort of character really appeals to people-Noa Izumi was of that archetype and Patlabor was 25 years ago-but it grates on me. Hopefully there'll be a greater focus on the superior characters.

• My hope for this show is fleeting. The "karate kid" effect happened, there was some Gargantia-esque allegory starting up and ne of the main characters had an awkward catharsis that turned him from respectable to punk in under 20 seconds.

I thought that the UroButcher was all about new ideas, but this show's use of a naive moe female character to propel the plot, arranging it so that we have to go through the lame character to get to the better characters, is at least 25 years old.

• @neonwalrus:

Yeah, but with Fate/Zero it was one of those shows that reminded me as to why I got into anime in the first place; last year a had a few moments like that; watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Baccano, High School DxD and Queen's Blade Rebellion on Blu-ray were a few series that did that to me.

I have finished Rin, it was Bakemonegatari I haven't completed, Rin is only 6 episodes, it started off pretentious and it took me motivation to actually try and watch it, but around episode 4 (which was the best episode on there) it picked up. Overall, it was decent and enjoyable enough to watch, but I wouldn't be too quick to recommend it.

What can you do right? Me personally, I've grown quite fond of the storytelling Gen Urobuchi provides in anime; accessible, straight up entertaining, yet deep and interesting.

Well, it may seem that way, but aside from living costs I really don't spend a lot of money; I don't smoke, or drink, or partake in any massively expensive habits, I don't even do much for gaming. I keep a list of prospective anime I'm interested in getting so that I make my orders with rightstuf over $250 for the free shipping; which is worth it, which is why I do an order every few months.

Aside from the odd series, I don't do too many blind buys.

That sounds like something I do. I like to keep a list of anime that I plan on buying and when I'm able to afford it, I'll just go ahead and get it which would be from Rightstuf or Best Buy (only if some shows are higher at Rightstuf)

• Who designs a gun that has to be connected to the internet to fire?

Interestingly the gun can recognize authorized users (some sort of James Bond-esque biometric gun) without internet access but that is all that it can do. You'd think that they'd give the "stun" mode as a default "fail-safe" for situations like that.

Episode 3 was markedly better than 2. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Still though, Texhnolyze-level this is not. GitS with continuity? That might be a way to describe it.

• Makashima is definitely saving this show for me as a truly remarkable personality filled with both insight and some luck, but I can't say I care much for these subplots for the enforcers and the other inspector. His hereditary psycho-pass story is pretty grating

I really like this awful beautiful world they've created and their methods of future investigation are superb (the part where they checked the guy's last room visual and saw the sofa had been moved was pretty intelligent writing), but aside from Makashima playing a Moriarty role, most of the cast causes the overall show to sag

• I'm really disappointed in the Talisman arc. It was the first story arc and in introduced this really wonky world that was childish, surreal and has no significance to the plot. It really got the show started on the wrong foot.

The show started out "gritty" in episode one and then the first story arc features a giant anthropomorphized cat sporting a pirate's eyepatch and, when not a noose, a giant safety pin around her neck. The Talisman bit was a complete waste. This show should have gone intro eps->Plasticizer Arc. Only 22 eps and they wasted these, since their Moriarty knockoff and everything that we needed to know were fully introduced in the Plasticizer arc while nothing that we needed to know was only mentioned in the Talisman arc.

…their Moriarty figure needs to stop giving these horribly contrived "evil villain explains his diabolic plot" monologues as they break the flow, they're unintentionally funny and they evoke the Austin Powers conversation where Scotty Evil explains to Dr. Evil why explaining one's evil plot to the heroes is folly.

The show has been good, but it hasn't been great. Unfortunately its choice of themes has left it trying to fill the very large shoes of other anime that have come before it and, while it fills the shoes enough to walk in, it doesn't fill them enough to walk without stumbling.