Crowdsourcing new seasons of pre-existing anime

• To the members of the forum

First of all, I understand that Funimation is not involved in the production/development of anime. I also understand that producing/creating an anime is incredible expensive endeavor and that companies need to come together to form committees to fund potential projects. That being said, I am wondering if it’s possible for Funimation (with conjunction with a committee) to crowdsource for future season of pre-existing anime. It has been shown that crowdsourcing can be an effective way of gathering resources to fund future projects. Furthermore, crowdsourcing can potentially be an effective tool for Funimation to utilize to create new seasons of a pre-existing anime.

In a theoretically situation, Funimation could create a web-page (i.e., Kickstarter and GoFundMe) to fund a new season of a pre-existing anime (i.e. Jellyfish Princess and Dimension W). There would be an initial estimated amount to fund six episodes for that anime. It would then have stretch goals to fund more episodes of that anime, with a maximum amount of twelve. The funding effort would be adversities on Funimation multiple media account (Facebook and twitter) in order to gain support for the project.

Finally my question, is this a feasible idea or am L just spinning my wheeles? I would love to hear your opinions, especially from the Funimation staff and forum moderators.

• Technically yes this would be possible but they would need to get all copyright holders approval (so in Princess Jellyfish the mangaka and Kodansha as well as the copyright holders for the anime for example). It would probably take a lot of effort and even in Japan where anime is much more popular and more likely to be able to raise large amounts through crowdfunding I've only seen movies or OVAs crowdfunded.

• @Desmond321 said in Crowdsourcing new seasons of pre-existing anime:

To the members of the forum

First of all, I understand that Funimation is not involved in the production/development of anime. I also understand that producing/creating an anime is incredible expensive endeavor and that companies need to come together to form committees to fund potential projects. That being said, I am wondering if it’s possible for Funimation (with conjunction with a committee) to crowdsource for future season of pre-existing anime. It has been shown that crowdsourcing can be an effective way of gathering resources to fund future projects. Furthermore, crowdsourcing can potentially be an effective tool for Funimation to utilize to create new seasons of a pre-existing anime.

In a theoretically situation, Funimation could create a web-page (i.e., Kickstarter and GoFundMe) to fund a new season of a pre-existing anime (i.e. Jellyfish Princess and Dimension W). There would be an initial estimated amount to fund six episodes for that anime. It would then have stretch goals to fund more episodes of that anime, with a maximum amount of twelve. The funding effort would be adversities on Funimation multiple media account (Facebook and twitter) in order to gain support for the project.

Finally my question, is this a feasible idea or am L just spinning my wheeles? I would love to hear your opinions, especially from the Funimation staff and forum moderators.

See this would need approval from the Japanese side as well, and you are looking into a goal of over 1 million+ US dollars for only a 12 eps season. Also take intro account almost all the major animation studios in Japan have projects booked all they way through 2020.