Continue the Frog-Dub

• Dear Funimation,
    You need continue dubbing the "Sgt. Frog" anime series(as well as do it's movie series), for at least the shows' fans. You can even make the continued dub, one that you can only see on "Funimation Now".
    It's not fair to suddenly stop on a series, when it's not finished. If you can do a practically-endless anime series, like "One Piece", then "Sgt. Frog" should be easy for your company. So please continue "Sgt. Frog", for at least the fans.
    alt text

Re: Future of Sgt. Frog

• Apparently it's a similar case with Shin-Chan as well, both shows have more after season 3, but Funimation decides to stop there anyways. :/

• @Joeynator3000
    I know, I read the "Future of Sgt. Frog" topic. I figured a fresh topic could get their attention. ...Also, I didn't know any other way contact them.

• I mean can't they at least give us subtitled edition of the later episodes on their "Funimation Now" program?

• @NukeMayhem

not after their partnership with crunchyroll. All subs, except for DBS and One Piece go to CR now.

• As much as I'd like this, I don't see it happening.

As for making a new topic, this is offtopic, but, I've been frustrated with a couple of my topics (plus at least one comment) not really getting attention for a while now. IDK if there even is an appropriate way to draw attention to them.

• @Getchman
    Now I know for a fact that Funimation has done business with Crunchyroll because I seen some Funi-dubbed animes, with some after-credits credits, that showed that the anime Funi dubbed is actually owned by Crunchyroll.

• @NukeMayhem

ok, and what does that have to do with my reply to you about funi no longer having subbed episodes?

• I would love to see the rest of Sgt. Frog dubbed, but it seems unlikely. Funimation bought the rights, but they're only doing this to sell physical media. Since Sgt. Frog didn't do well with the first three Blu-Ray releases, they dropped the project.

• @Getchman
    What I meant was that even if Crunchyroll owns Sgt. Frog, Funimation can still get the rights to sub and dub the anime, if they just pay Crunchyroll for the rights.

• @rassilon007
    That's why I'm trying to get fans of the anime, and other anime fans, energized up to work together and tell Funimation to be not only finish dubbing past series, but also dub the newer series and it's movies.

• @NukeMayhem

except for subbing it, yes, that is correct

• @NukeMayhem said in Continue the Frog-Dub:

Dear Funimation,
    You need continue dubbing the "Sgt. Frog" anime series(as well as do it's movie series), for at least the shows' fans. You can even make the continued dub, one that you can only see on "Funimation Now".
    It's not fair to suddenly stop on a series, when it's not finished. If you can do a practically-endless anime series, like "One Piece", then "Sgt. Frog" should be easy for your company. So please continue "Sgt. Frog", for at least the fans.
    alt text

Re: Future of Sgt. Frog

@NukeMayhem Ok I just put to in the nice way I can. It not going to happen. If Yu-Gi-Oh GX could not get it final season English dub which is HUGELY popular here in American what make you think a show that not popular in American would finish it dub run? Think about.

• @gohan6425
    This coming from someone who added a "Let Bring Misty Back" video on YouTube on 2015?

• A video to bring Misty back?
    Honestly, I haven't kept up with that since gen 4.

Agh. There really are a lot of series that just stopped getting releases. I guess that's just how it goes.
    At least funi doesn't do AoA pricing.

• @NukeMayhem said in Continue the Frog-Dub:

@gohan6425
    This coming from someone who added a "Let Bring Misty Back" video on YouTube on 2015?

@NukeMayhem @mariotag While I'm Flattered that you seen some of my work as a YouTuber. Technically speaking my wish came truth as Misty DID come back for Pokemon Sun and Moon Anime for 2 Episodes. :) However this anime getting dub is slim to none.

• @gohan6425 Eh. Didn't actually see the video tho. Just know the sentiment from it just being detailed. And, 2 episodes isn't enough for a major-main character who got a new va literally just before vanishing for more than a decade.

Yea. Sgt. Frog doesn't stand a chance. Best possibility is likely Crunchyroll.

• @mariotag said in Continue the Frog-Dub:

@gohan6425 Eh. Didn't actually see the video tho. Just know the sentiment from it just being detailed. And, 2 episodes isn't enough for a major-main character who got a new va literally just before vanishing for more than a decade.

Yea. Sgt. Frog doesn't stand a chance. Best possibility is likely Crunchyroll.

@mariotag I said in the video Let Bring Misty Back. She came back so it still counts.

• Not a fan, or really even looking to give the series a chance, but have been looking at the history of this series because of the recent up-tick in discussion. The more I look, the more surprised I become that Funimation still has it. Even the announcement that they had acquired the license is about ten years old, and that was over three years after the series had began. On top of that, the rights weren't purchased through the original holder (from what I've found Sunrise holds the master rights for anime distribution), they were transferred from ADV.

At the point the licensed was transferred, there were slightly less than 150 episodes made (this is assumption based on timeline and knowing that it was a weekly series). This somewhat matches up to the home video releases.

I'm basing the following strictly from theory, so it can't be taken as set in stone (with exception of what I've said above). However, my assumption is that Funimation was only able to acquire the license from ADV for the three seasons already in existence at the point they transferred from ADV. I wasn't able to find anything which even indicated that an agreement had been made with Sunrise for rights of future seasons. This is also supported by the fact that no subtitle episodes exist for shows after the dub ended. Comparatively, subtitle episodes are EXPONENTIALLY cheaper to make than dub. It only stands to reason (given than Funimation was marketing subtitle home video and streaming until relatively recently) that they would have at least produced subtitles if they held the license to do so.

Stranger things have happened, but the last episode made for the series was four years ago. Again, based on my assumption, Funimation would need to negotiate a deal with the studio to pick up seasons all the way back to 2009. For a series with no current future of additional material to invigorate sales of the older material, the likelihood of those negotiations taking place is beyond horrible.

In the end, I don't think the issue with the series is because sales were horrible, as has been stated elsewhere. If that were the case, I don't think they would still be producing media for home video because the cost of production and storing till sale would make it a loss.

I simply think Funimation doesn't have the rights to the remaining material, and doesn't have any incentive to attempt getting them because a lack of a future for the series. This does also restrict any possibility of Crunchyroll being able to resurrect the series (as was offered in previous posts) for the same reasons.

• @pleco_breeder said in Continue the Frog-Dub:

I'm basing the following strictly from theory, so it can't be taken as set in stone (with exception of what I've said above). However, my assumption is that Funimation was only able to acquire the license from ADV for the three seasons already in existence at the point they transferred from ADV. I wasn't able to find anything which even indicated that an agreement had been made with Sunrise for rights of future seasons.

Actually ADV only licensed the first two seasons and after FUNimation release those seasons, the licensed the third season.