Made in Abyss English dub release date

• So my friend recently told me about an anime called "Made in Abyss", and I thought the overall premise sounded good, so I decided to look it up, only to find out that it's not dubbed. I know that Funimation isn't able to dub the series, since Sentai Filmworks has the license to the series, but does anyone know if they plan on dubbing the series? If they do, when will the dub be released? I really want to watch this anime.

• So far nothing is confirmed either way. Sentai hasn't announced any home release plans (looking at recent shows it will probably happen some point between August and November) although it is probably the most popular show they've had in a long time and I would be very surprised to see it not get a dub.

• Banned

Plus Sentai's social media manager and other employees personal opinion on the show is pretty good so that increases the chances alot.

• Sentai responds to fans enthusiasm. Id be surprised if they dont. However they still need to wait on the materials from Japan.

• While it would be surprising not to get a dub this is Sentai we are talking about. They have chosen not to dub more popular shows in the past so I wouldn't get my hopes up until they make an announcement.

• Banned

@MRy27 Well that's cause Sentai didn't like them and when they have a negative opinion on things they don't care how popular somthing is or how many people want it. With Made In Abyss they've said they really liked it so that makes it pretty likely because they value their own opinion more than anything else.

• that's now how you successfully run business for over 20 years, but hey keep thinking that. its amusing

• @Getchman said in Made in Abyss English dub release date:

that's now how you successfully run business for over 20 years, but hey keep thinking that. its amusing

Sentai has not been around for over 20 years and do not try count them as ADV since Sentai will say that they were not part of ADV.

• @jlaking

I dont care. Ledford and Greenfield still run the show. They can call their business whatever the hell they want, they have still been at it for over 20 years

• @jlaking :
    And I will ask them to pull the other one while they're at it.

"ADV" and "successful" don't quite match up anyway, thanks to their own hubris.

• Banned

Sentai isn't really successful either they still screw over any company thats dumb enough to work with them the only difference between when they were called ADV and now is they also screw over alot of fans and customers now as well, with their selective listening to fans whos opinions match theirs while flat out lying to anyone who's doesn't, their overcharging for their releases and people seem to have already forgotten the whole Amazon thing.

I'm done now, before I get wrongfully blamed for derailing the thread when it wasn't even me.

• A Made in Abyss dub seems pretty likely. Sentai has seemingly fixed whatever criteria they had in place for determining dubs, ever since they screwed up the Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions release. Speaking recently, (arguably) their three most popular simulcasts - Danmachi, Food Wars, and Flip Flappers - have all received dubs, and they've gone back and dubbed previous releases like Haikyuu

Made In Abyss matches the three shows I mentioned in quantity of viewers and quality of reviews, and probably beats all three. It's certainly better in both categories compared to lesser shows Sentai has dubbed recently, like Sakamoto and Tanaka-kun

You can bash them for the weird Amazon exclusivity and now their new streaming service, but I think both experiences have given them actual, tangible data they can use to determine what should get a dub

• @Riles without streaming numbers released from Sentai how can you be certain it matches/surpass the other shows you mention. If I'm not mistaken those three were available on CR while made in abyss was on amazon. I personally have opposite feelings towards amazon and feel it hurt the popularity of shows that could of had more exposure elsewhere. I bet it would be safe to say that its streaming numbers suffered greatly because of the fact. I also think more people probably illegally watched the show rather then use amazon. But like your statement none of this can be proven and is purely conjecture.

Also your last statement makes it seem like they wouldn't have gotten streaming data from CR. I'm not sure if that's what you meant but if it is what makes you think CR wouldn't?

• @MRy27 Chivalry of a Failed Knight seemed to get the required streaming numbers to dub despite only legally being in the US via Hulu for more than half before finally being added on Viewster in Canada and the UK.

Made in Abyss also just won Crunchyroll's popularity contest for ATOY beating out My Hero Academia (which won every other category it was nominated in). They're also dubbing Anonymous Noise which was also Amazon exclusive and far less popular (unless everyone watching it just watched it and never talked about it) so I don't see why it's even a question of then dubbing Made in Abyss.

• I feel like everything that was on Amazon that Sentai has will get dubbed at some point.

• @MidnightAoshi while I think it will improve output we already know not everything will be as Atom is releasing sub only http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-official-may-2018-slate

• @Doublethree100 and Kabukibu :/

• Made in Abyss was a Summer 2017 show, so I'd say wait till around then to see if there's word on it. Honestly though, I'd be shocked if it didn't get a dub.

• @GoldCrusader lol I forgot they even announced the home release for that.

• @MRy27 said in Made in Abyss English dub release date:

@Riles without streaming numbers released from Sentai how can you be certain it matches/surpass the other shows you mention.

Circumstantially, via record-keeping sites like MAL and Anilist

@MRy27 said in Made in Abyss English dub release date:

Also your last statement makes it seem like they wouldn't have gotten streaming data from CR. I'm not sure if that's what you meant but if it is what makes you think CR wouldn't?

They probably didn't. They used to only license the home video rights to shows and likely didn't have the streaming numbers made available to them by a pseudo-competitor. The lack of a partnership is most likely why they bounced from Hulu to Amazon and then finally set up their own service

• @Riles said in Made in Abyss English dub release date:

Sentai has seemingly fixed whatever criteria they had in place for determining dubs, ever since they screwed up the Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions release.

What did they screw up with the Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions release?