Best 2017 Character Tournament Men's Round 1 Match 13

• Elias Ainsworth, The Ancient Magus' Bride
    vs.
    Rui Kanoya, Re: Creators

You must post your vote, as well as the current score after taking your vote into account. Please note clearly who you are voting for, either by making a comment or by highlighting your vote in the score tally. You may only vote once, and once you post you cannot change your vote. The first to 10 points or the highest score after 24 hours wins.

• Elias Ainsworth - 0
    Rui Kanoya - 1

• Elias Ainsworth - 1
    Rui Kanoya - 1

alt text

My love for this character is no secret, that's for sure. So I am gonna fight for this bonehead.

SPOILERS, BEWARE

Elias is a fascinating character. We see the story through Chise's eyes for the most part, and at first Elias seems to be so mysterious, but through the series we learn he's actually got quite the childlike view on things despite being extremely old. He doesn't even have a clear understanding of his own emotions and I like how this, eventually, puts him on much more even terms with Chise then what we start out with in the beginning of the series.

Elias is far from perfect. He's a jealous creature who doesn't like to share and always tries to find a way to get his own way. Like many of the Fae creatures in Magus' Bride, he has a different way of viewing the world from how human's do. Despite this, he still manages to be loving towards those important to him and will do whatever it takes to keep them safe. He doesn't fully understand humans and emotions, but he desires to learn. He wants to better himself and understand the world around him.

alt text

I've also deeply enjoyed a series centering around a character such as himself because in the general kind of story, he would most certainly be the villain. He does things that can certainly be considered "villainous", but knowing how he interprets things and what he means by these actions puts a different spin on it and I really like that about the story.

alt text

He can go from humorous to downright terrifying. He always has an underlying sense of danger to him, but he tries to do better and you can't help but like him because of it. I also have enjoyed how unlike in most stories where the main character makes some, ahem, questionable choices such as buying a person at an auction, it doesn't get brushed under the rug and it's not made out to be a good thing. He just truly doesn't understand the difference between right and wrong, and we get to go on the journey with Elias and Chise as he tries to learn these thing.

Unlike a lot of character in anime, he's not the same character as he was in the first episode, he changed enormously in that amount of time and I love that.

alt text

He managed to have me intrigued from his very first scene (I always like his "Chin up, back straight, face forward" scene, right from the beginning proving he saw Chise as an equal, even though we later learn it's because he is manipulating her right from the get go). One of my favorite characters of all time.

alt text

• Elias Ainsworth - 2
    Rui Kanoya - 1

• Elias Ainsworth - 3
    Rui Kanoya - 1

• Elias Ainsworth - 4
    Rui Kanoya - 1

• Elias Ainsworth - 5
    Rui Kanoya - 1

• Elias Ainsworth - 6
    Rui Kanoya - 1

• Elias Ainsworth - 7