Wakfu Kickstarter Campaign!

• One of my all-time favorite animated series is having a Kickstarter campaign to help bring the series to an English-speaking audience, and they need your help in doing so!

So what is Wakfu, you might ask?

Originally created in 2008, Wakfu is a French animated series based on an MMO of the same name. The entire series spans two seasons of 26 episodes each, two stand-alone OVAs, several mini-webisodes, and coming soon, three all-new OVA features that are rumored to lead into a third season.

Created and produced by Ankama Animation, the show is produced entirely in Flash, and is considered by many to be the absolute BEST use of the program ever made. MLP wishes it could look this good. Also, it's right up there with Avatar: The Last Airbender as one of the best anime-inspired Western cartoons ever.

Unlike cartoons here in America, Wakfu isn't afraid to be a little edgy. It is at times both light-hearted and dark-natured, both juvenile and mature. It's willing to go into some dark places that other cartoons simply won't touch, while still managing to stay friendly to audiences of all ages.

Here, take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jct9cXZdHwA

So far, the Kickstarter campaign has been able to fund an English-language release for the first complete season and the two special OVA episodes. However, they still need your help in bringing out season 2 and the three all-new OVAs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1836563008/wakfu-the-animated-series

By all means, please help contribute, so we can spread the magic of Wakfu across the globe!!!

PS. Oh, by the way. Those two special OVA episodes? Those were actually animated by Madhouse, with character designs by Masaaki Yuasa of Kick-Heart, Kaiba, and Tatami Galaxy fame. ^_^

• If I had the $$$ I'd support the hell outta this!

• It looks pretty cool but that one male character looks like Syndrome from The Incredibles.

• @neonwalrus:

It looks pretty cool but that one male character looks like Syndrome from The Incredibles.

Don't let his goofy looks fool you. He gets pretty freakin' badass near the end of season 1 and all of season 2.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Don't let his goofy looks fool you. He gets pretty freakin' badass near the end of season 1 and all of season 2.

I know, I saw the trailer; he, like many other anime and cartoon characters are deceptively pretty powerful and charismatic.

• This thing looks interesting

• As if there wasn't reason enough to back this Kickstarter, they've now added the adorable Mini-Wakfu shorts!! ^_^

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1836563008/wakfu-the-animated-series/posts

• Ugg…why must I have such A tight budget! I want to help fund this but If I dont stick to my budget it interferes with food & comics!

ive even had to cancel most online orders I've made recently. :(

But yeah hope it does well and a wide release is an option later on!

• @Soundmonkey44:

Ugg…why must I have such A tight budget! I want to help fund this but If I dont stick to my budget it interferes with food & comics!

ive even had to cancel most online orders I've made recently. :(

But yeah hope it does well and a wide release is an option later on!

Well, have you talked to your comic book store owner about a pull-box?

If he's like my guy, you can tell him which issues you want, and he can pull them and hold them for you until you're ready to pick them up. Usually as long as the box still has room, he'll pull 'em and hold 'em for you.

That way, you could pick up your comics little bit later, and be able to put some cash down on the Wakfu set.

Also, remember this is CAD, which when converted to USD, is a little bit less. It says $40 for the set, but in reality you're actually only paying about $36. Plus you gets TWO SEASONS and 2 OVAs, AND a t-shirt. That's a better deal than most anime, or heck, most US cartoon sets.

• Yeah my shop does a pull box for me, but they only hold books for 2 weeks, plus as many as I read that would db too big of a pile up! I can only afford to sedate one addiction ATM. I choose comics. :p. Hopefully I will be able to satisfy them all equally someday though.

But getting BOT, hope this succeeds!

• Understood. Man's gotta eat, after all.

Anyways, here's the first of the Mini-Wakfu shorts.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS CONSIDERED EXTREMELY ADORABLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEBBbEXwGs

• They just passed the funding for season 2! Now everyone who pledged $40 or more gets both seasons and the two special OVAs. If nothing else, this is one of the best deals in animation I've ever seen. oOo

• Yoooo that's hype!! I'll give some of that $ for Wakfu!

• A lot of big updates since my last post. Both the $250k and $300k stretch goals have been broken. That means we'll not only get all of the Mini-Wakfu shorts dubbed, but we'll also be getting three brand new OVAs dubbed in English AND French as well!

The next stretch goal is a doozy: $450,000 for an exclusive brand, spankin' new episode of Wakfu, specifically made for this Kickstarter!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1836563008/wakfu-the-animated-series

• We're down to the last few days of the campaign. After it ends, the bluray set will never be available again.

Considering the MASSIVE amount of content we're getting for such a low price ($40 CAD/$37 US), I would most certainly recommend everyone pick up a copy while they still can.

Remember, once the campaign ends, it's gone for good.

• I can't believe I missed out on this :/

• @nubguy:

I can't believe I missed out on this :/

Frankly, you should be glad you did miss out on it. The end result was absolutely dreadful.

To put it simply: The dub ended up REALLLLY sucking, the blurays were released with tons of errors, and Ankama still has not fulfilled all of the promises they made during the campaign.

It's one of the few times I really, truly regret backing a Kickstarter, and it's turned me off of ever supporting Ankama again. >0<

• @SpacemanHardy:

Frankly, you should be glad you did miss out on it. The end result was absolutely dreadful.

To put it simply: The dub ended up REALLLLY sucking, the blurays were released with tons of errors, and Ankama still has not fulfilled all of the promises they made during the campaign.

It's one of the few times I really, truly regret backing a Kickstarter, and it's turned me off of ever supporting Ankama again. >0<

Woah, dude! That's horrible! :( it had large amount of funding right? I wonder what happened. That's a bummer to get burned like that on Kickstarter. I can totally see why you wouldn't trust working with Ankama again.

• I feel bad for those people who spent the money to back the Kickstarter, they were expecting amazing things; and they get literally noting. Since apparently it was bad. I don't usually back kickstarters, only if I absolutely love the anime; if it's one I've never seen maybe I don't know.

• Yeah that is terrible. I didn't realize that kind of thing really happened. I just did a kickstarter for Skip Beat! the anime, but I hope it turns out better than that.

• I believe it will do well, it will be a great anime. And with whatever the Kickstarter is helping with will make it even better.