Community Discussion: What are some social upgrades you'd like to see on our site?

• As the title says ^

I'd love to hear your ideas or suggestions for our current site and/or forums to increase the social aspect for you all, because let's face it, anime is always more fun when we're watching together! Where do you go on the internet to chat about dubs? Where do you go to look at reviews for dubs? Do these places even exist?

I got my coffee and my notepad ready! Hit me with 'em! ๐Ÿ‘

Examples:

*Integrated chat feature (Like Discord) native on the site.
    *Forum badges, stat tracking for binge watchers and completionists
    *Community section highlighting fan art, cosplay, video reviews, etc.
    *More games, giveaways, exclusives for users

/go

0_1518025863091_face png.png

• Synced viewing aka a watch party feature so everyone with a membership can watch shows to gather and talk about it then and there :)

• HTML 5 player, as a new video player itself would go a long way to improve quality perhaps on top of having a group watch feature similar to what Hi-Dive has. but perhaps some way to integrate MAL or a way to track what is watched if MAL isn't integrated but atleast intuitive enough so people can share what they watch and keep track of it.

• Live commentary by ADRs and VA with audience participation would be pretty neat. It could be video/audio or set up like an AMA or something.

• Howdy Jay!

I don't post often but the Discord server is great. I would love a chat feature with public/private rooms similar to Hidive. I think they have a cool thing going on where you can open up a chat room and stream/sync up shows with friends. I also would love a more modern HTML5 player with less issues buffering/streaming shows. I love you guys but still find myself only having problems with the Funi player both in-browser and on console apps that I do not have with other streaming platforms.

• I guess I'd have to agree with the ideas of an integrated chat. Maybe some way to have specific chats for specific shows. And there should definitely be like milestones for how much anime you watch. Maybe rank names or a fun point system. Make a game out of it to motivate folks to want to watch and try more anime as a whole. Maybe have tasks like try a specific show of a specific genre so you can get out of your comfort zone and try shows you never tried before. Really anything that can just get you to want to try and enjoy more could go a long way. And all social stuff of course as well.

• I second what @Ztshp and @Sequitur32 said; HTML 5 Player and the ability to group watching during streams would be nice. Maybe also better customization to the subtitles/closed captions as well.

As far as the forum goes, I honestly use the Discord more than the message board at this point. I mosly come on here now just to get technical help.

• @crimsonechidna What else would you like to customize on the closed captions? I know the settings are missing font, which I could swear was a setting at some point.

• I use discord way more than the forums

• Forums seem a bit of the old age of the internet tbh. Now a days you got more instant messaging services like Discord to do it. I dunno, might just be because I'm newer to being on the internet and interacting with communities. I knew of forums back then, but never wanted to interact with folks cause was a young lad XD But I can see they still have use even today like on sites like Reddit. So yeah, feel they are on the way out the door so no need to improve them but more move on from them. I mean this will probs be one of the only times I'll use the forums tbh. So yeah, hope you do what you gotta do to improve your site and community and hope it becomes more lively because of it.

• @Sophie said in Community Discussion: What are some social upgrades you'd like to see on our site?:

captions? I know the settings are missing font,

I was thinking of stuff like Font Style, being able to change stuff like making it bolder or all caps, A thicker stroke or boarder around the captions to make it more similar to subtitles.

For the forums, one thing that would be nice is maybe do something like a monthly AMA, where you can have a member of the Funimation Staff or Voice Actors participate. You could do it like the Last Friday of every month.

Oh, and an option for a dark skin for the site and forum.

• Would there be a way to integrate discord into blog posts? It seems that I use discord way more often than any other social app nowadays. I think it would be great to see all the latest blog posts to be available to view from the server, no external links that go to the main site

• @TristenLynSwenson said in Community Discussion: What are some social upgrades you'd like to see on our site?:

I think it would be great to see all the latest blog posts to be available to view from the server, no external links that go to the main site

I'm not sure how possible this this but we can try and remember to post any blog posts in the news and announcements channel. Most major stuff (simuldub announcements, new licenses, etc) usually makes it there pretty quick anyway.

• I think that it should be stated somewhere maybe on a shows info page which licenses were licensed by crunchyroll and which ones were licensed by Funimation. Also I think there should should be an option in our profiles to make it where our funimation account doesn't show up in a google search if someone types our username or email into google. Also maybe implement a pm feature into our profiles if I remember correctly we used to have one in the old website but it was removed with the new site. For the question "where do we go to talk about dubs." I feel there isn't one central place that isn't biased, what I usually is talk to my followers that I have on various websites and apps about them.

• I would appreciate if the comments section worked more like YouTube/Reddit, where:

1. No need for a title line on every comment
    2. Allow users to post replies to comments
    3. Edit and delete features so typos and such aren't permanent
    4. A notification system of some form, so you can be informed when people like or reply to you.

The comment feature as it stands now doesn't motivate interaction.

I'm also for the synced stream livechat feature, especially if it could be automatically scheduled for the premier of new episodes, so everyone knows where and when to gather without a fuss.

Or, possibly, if a standard time of say 8:00pm were set for any new episodes posted that day, because some shows go up at odd times and few people would be able to engage. You guys could even set these standard times per season/show, so that people could plan ahead for it and drop in regularly.

• @MyOnlyFarph said in Community Discussion: What are some social upgrades you'd like to see on our site?:

No need for a title line on every comment
    Allow users to post replies to comments
    Edit and delete features so typos and such aren't permanent
    A notification system of some form, so you can be informed when people like or reply to you.

Each of these is coming. :D

@crimsonechidna said in Community Discussion: What are some social upgrades you'd like to see on our site?:

I was thinking of stuff like Font Style, being able to change stuff like making it bolder or all caps, A thicker stroke or boarder around the captions to make it more similar to subtitles.

I think we may be limited by what can be supported in each of the browsers, but I will definitely ask for this to be added. Thank you!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Spaceshotx7 Unfortunately, I had to delete your post, so that we can keep this thread on topic. Please make a new thread in Funimation General if you'd like to report these issues with the player, and I will respond. I believe I have responded to the other posts you've made regarding the player.

• This post is deleted!

• @hamsteralliance I have responded in the other thread you made for this and have deleted the post you made here, so that we can keep this thread on topic.

Let's please keep this thread to only about social suggestions for the site.

• @JayHairston A following feature would be a cool idea. IDK how many times I've read a post from someone, respect their opinion or voice on this forum only to lose track of X user as it gets to be a pain to do so ends up not worth the trouble to bookmark and keep track of many people on here I would like for that to be added? Have a box to click that pops up all the recent posts from users who I'm following. With that said it would have to have some kind of way to filter recent posts by day, week and month old posts from the people i'm following to help narrow down posts made by users?

Weekly and monthly polls, not just 1 poll but say each day, week or month have at least 5 active polls happening at a time.

On title releases maybe have live chat rooms that we can post in as the new episode are playing and ends when the episode ends so then we make a thread and post in that to continue the conversation would be cool.

• @fatman123 said in Community Discussion: What are some social upgrades you'd like to see on our site?:

@JayHairston A following feature would be a cool idea. IDK how many times I've read a post from someone, respect their opinion or voice on this forum only to lose track of X user as it gets to be a pain to do so ends up not worth the trouble to bookmark and keep track of many people on here I would like for that to be added? Have a box to click that pops up all the recent posts from users who I'm following. With that said it would have to have some kind of way to filter recent posts by day, week and month posts from the people i'm following to help narrow down posts made by users?

So basically a way to follow people you like and block/mute people you don't?