Humble Request: Please Don't Add Pre-Roll Ads to Home Videos

• I know Funimation isn't the only one who does it, and I understand that there is probably some marketing science that shows it leads to increase sales in some infinitesimal form, but I humbly request (if anyone is listening), please stop putting pre-roll ads on home video releases.

Here is my case.

1. They don't work. I own some 50+ anime blurays and DVDs from various companies and in my personal experience I can't recall a single instance in which a pre-roll ad actually got me interested in a new series or encouraged me to buy something. Most of the time I either already knew about the thing being advertised or the ad failed to interest me anyway. Usually the ads are targeted based on the genre of the show purchased, but there is a certain level of presumption in assuming just because a fan likes show A, show B will also appeal to them.

2. Home video advertisement seems to be a thing of the past. Nowadays everybody discovers their interests through the internet, and there is no shortage of means to do so. If they're the type to actually purchase the show, chances are they are already engaged and don't need to be force-fed suggestions. In my experience discoveries always go from internet to home video, never from home video to internet.

3. Once they're on the disc, they're there forever. People often buy home video releases because they intend to watch the show/movie multiple times. Every time they pop in that disc they're going to be exposed to the same ad. 20 years from now, same ad. Some companies (like Sentai) even advertised TAN on their discs (with an infamously bad commercial no less!) and of course, TAN doesn't even exist anymore. So not only do situations like this make the ad nothing but an annoyance after the first viewing, they also date the release. (Hay guyz, member TAN???) People who view their discs as collector's items would be particularly annoyed, especially if the ads are unskippable, and for a title they dislike anyway.

4. Whether it's done altruistically or selfishly, by purchasing a release fans are offering their patronage to the company. Even if individual purchases don't amount to much, I still feel like it would be more respectful and appropriate to appreciate the fans who are engaged and willing to spend their money by not stamping them with ads. They bought the product, just let them enjoy it without trying to sell them something else in the process.

5. Last, other means are far more effective. Youtube clips, Twitter posts, social media conversations, Funimation's own website and email blogs - all of these methods have gotten me interested in things I would have overlooked otherwise at one time or another. The same can't be said for pre-roll ads on a disc.

So to summarize: They don't work, they're antiquated, they're repetitive, annoying, and devalue the idea of a collector's edition. They're disrespectful to paying fans, and there are more effective means of advertising that avoid these problems.

If you still feel you HAVE to add advertisements to home videos, keep them as bonus features on the disc menu. That way, people aren't forced to watch them, but can still check them out if they want. In fact, I'd even say go ahead and do that more.

If you're going to advertise the Funimation website, just make it short, simple, and plain. Sentai's new releases for example, showcase Hidive as a pre-roll ad, but because the ad is so short and is only comprised of text and graphics, I doubt anyone is being bothered by it (doesn't bother me at all at least).

Thank you for listening to my tirade. If you share my distaste for these things leave a comment. Or not, if you have better things to do.

• You can literally skip them with a single button, though.

• I have actually found a couple shows through the previews on discs. Sometimes it can help to see an ad for a show I would not otherwise come across on my own. Of course, not every ad will get me interested, but some do.

The are easy enough to skip.

• @SpacemanHardy said in Humble Request: Please Don't Add Pre-Roll Ads to Home Videos:

You can literally skip them with a single button, though.

Not always. I usually get the little red circle cross button when I try to skip them. I don't mind the ads, but programming them to be unskippable is ridiculous.

• @HOOfan1 said in Humble Request: Please Don't Add Pre-Roll Ads to Home Videos:

@SpacemanHardy said in Humble Request: Please Don't Add Pre-Roll Ads to Home Videos:

Not always. I usually get the little red circle cross button when I try to skip them. I don't mind the ads, but programming them to be unskippable is ridiculous.

I have never, ever found one instance of an unskippable ad on any of Funimation's DVDs or blurays. Just today, I tried out my brand new copy of Your Name, and I skipped straight from the FBI warning to the main menu simply by pressing the square button on my PS4.

I know some other companies have a tendency to put in unskippable ads, but at least in Funimation's case, I have always been able to skip them.

• @SpacemanHardy said in Humble Request: Please Don't Add Pre-Roll Ads to Home Videos:

@HOOfan1 said in Humble Request: Please Don't Add Pre-Roll Ads to Home Videos:

@SpacemanHardy said in Humble Request: Please Don't Add Pre-Roll Ads to Home Videos:

I have never, ever found one instance of an unskippable ad on any of Funimation's DVDs or blurays. Just today, I tried out my brand new copy of Your Name, and I skipped straight from the FBI warning to the main menu simply by pressing the square button on my PS4.

I know some other companies have a tendency to put in unskippable ads, but at least in Funimation's case, I have always been able to skip them.

I just tried my DVD of Haganai Next

There is an ad for Date A Live at the beginning.

-Press Disc menu Get Red circle slash
    -Press Skip get red circle slash
    -press fast forward get red circle slash

then I tried my Bluray of Haganai Next

I use my PS4 as a Bluray player. I pressed square (menu) during the Date A Live ad and it let me go straight to the menu

I'd have to go back and check, but I believe all of the Funimation DVDs I have watched had unskippable ads...that is about 5 different DVDs.

Maybe the ads are skippable with Blurays though

Edit:

I just went back and tried Haganai Next DVD in my PS4...it allowed me to skip everything.

My JVC DVD player would not allow me to skip the warnings and ads though. So it seems this is all player dependent.

• @HOOfan1 Try pressing "Top Menu" instead of "Disc Menu". That usually works.

• @SpacemanHardy ok I just tested Your Name on my PS4 and normal player. PS4 sometimes lets me skip on Blu ray and always seems to on DVD. Normal player allows skipping with both top and disc menu buttons until the "The Girl Who Lept Through Time" ad starts where neither button will work. If I skip during the Funimation splash though I can get to the menu without watching the ads.

• my DVD player doesn't have a top menu button.

Luckily I just watch DVDs through my PS4 now...unfortunately there is no subtitle button on PS4 remotes...and I use that fairly often. I have to pop up a menu to change subtitles on the PS4

• Pre-roll ads are only skippable in the same way FBI warnings and company logos are skippable. They don't respond to next chapter or fast forward buttons, but for players where you can access a top menu button then yeah, you'll get to the top menu.

For comparison I tested a few blu-rays from Sentai, VIZ, and Discotek released in 2017. None of them had pre-roll ads for other shows. The only instances I could find for pre-roll ads were a few Sentai discs, which had the short Hidive logo I mentioned prior.

Is it the end of the world? No. Is it still annoying/unnecessary/outdated? Yes.

• @MyOnlyFarph said in Humble Request: Please Don't Add Pre-Roll Ads to Home Videos:

Pre-roll ads are only skippable in the same way FBI warnings and company logos are skippable. They don't respond to next chapter or fast forward buttons, but for players where you can access a top menu button then yeah, you'll get to the top menu.

For comparison I tested a few blu-rays from Sentai, VIZ, and Discotek released in 2017. None of them had pre-roll ads for other shows. The only instances I could find for pre-roll ads were a few Sentai discs, which had the short Hidive logo I mentioned prior.

Is it the end of the world? No. Is it still annoying/unnecessary/outdated? Yes.

not being able to skip is annoying when you only watch a few episodes at a time, then come back the next day and have to contend with the same ad again.

I agree, make a menu option for "other Funimation home media you might like" don't make the ads run automatically