Fix Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card DUB

• Hi there guys as a long time Cardcaptor Sakura: fan I was unbelievably disappointed with funimations lack of effort in doing its best for the return of such a iconic anime I will repeat what i said in the other thread

I actually love dubs but I would just like the cast to be age appropriate or at lest sound that way i have all the respect in the world for the effort i just cant get passed the voices to enjoy it i hope they take our feedback to heart and correct it Carly McKillip who is now 28 was roughly 12 when recording the original dub Monica Rial is already 42 just because they live in Texas does not mean they fit the part Monica is no Nancy Cartwright
    i dont feel the actress suits the role good effort though all the kids sounds to old for there roles middle school is still a very young age i dont know why we pay older actors to fill kid VA roles still love the show but very disappointed of couse i sent in feedback and got typical robotic response

I grew up in Canada so know the Nelvana dub I also own the blu ray box set from NIS so i have access to the animax dub and i have to say the funimation dub is the worst

im not talking about nor do i care about the edits made in the original Nelvana dub as made by the Studio I am saying that in terms of casting of the main iconic Characters Nelvana was Superior in vocal delvers only in comparison Monica is great in most roles Jason as well just not here I just wish funimation would have looked a little harder for the right fit perhaps a unknown instead of playing it safe because in this case it does not seem to have worked out in the best way

So I am asking that

-Fans Join together and fight for improvement be it through better vocal direction or recasting of at lest the two main characters of Sakura Kinomoto and Shaoran Li

• Funimation recognize respect and work with fans for a positive resolution
      Personnaly speaking i would make Colleen Clinkenbeard the ADR Director

• @MJmusicguy I don't mean to be rude but your entire post is one long punctuation-free sentence. Just saying, it's counterproductive if you want people to hear you out.

I wrote my opinion on another thread on this topic (I think there are 2?) but regardless of what the fans think the show is already cast and being recorded. It's kind of useless to ask Funimation to change things at this point (and probably a bit insulting to the actors). Nothing wrong with sharing your thoughts but gotta be realistic. If the dub really doesn't work for you you'll still always have the original.

• Well I am not the best typist but hope my point comes across well enough
    @MyOnlyFarph I made this thread because I felt like I was hijacking the other one and I hear what your saying but i have to try because as fans we had no input in the process so we can only unfortunately ask for change after the fact right?

• I learned that as fans we're free to like or dislike whatever we want, and be equally vocal about it, but ultimately carry extremely low weight when it comes to those type of creative/executive decisions.

I mean the last time I can recall fan outrage actually leading to a significant change was the gamergate line in Prison School, and that was just a single line. :\

• @MyOnlyFarph I hear you but it is worth a shot and at the very least lets me vent a little also i am truly not good at punctuation grammar for reasons i can explain privately so if you want to help me correct things i would be grateful :)

• @MJmusicguy said in Fix Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card DUB:

I actually love dubs but I would just like the cast to be age appropriate or at lest sound that way i have all the respect in the world for the effort i just cant get passed the voices to enjoy it i hope they take our feedback to heart and correct it Carly McKillip who is now 28 was roughly 12 when recording the original dub Monica Rial is already 42 just because they live in Texas does not mean they fit the part Monica is no Nancy Cartwright
    i dont feel the actress suits the role good effort though all the kids sounds to old for there roles middle school is still a very young age i dont know why we pay older actors to fill kid VA roles still love the show but very disappointed of couse i sent in feedback and got typical robotic response

I take this to mean you think this is an issue exclusive to the dub. The Japanese version has the same actors that I checked for the original and Clear Card. This includes Sakura's actor (Sakura Tange) now being 34 (35 by the time the show is done) and Tomoyo's (Junko Iwao)and Shaoran's (Motoko Kumai) both being 47 (Tomoyo's 48 by the time the show is over).

• @MJmusicguy I see, sorry about that comment then. You never know the case online.

• @Doublethree100 Right except the original Japanese cast sound good so i guess it is less of a age thing and more of a vocal type tune and delivery thing that being said i stand by my original assessment that Monica and Jason do not fit for the cannon card captor sakura roles

• Is Carly McKillip still an actress? I mean even if they did bring her in who knows if she would like doing simuldubs since some voice actors might not like it. Since I know Robbie seemed to of been iffy with it.

• if you are gonna go about this, narrow your focus down to Justin Cook. he's the director of production. good luck

• Email sent though im not hopeful fot a positive response

• @MJmusicguy said in Fix Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card DUB:

Hi there guys as a long time Cardcaptor Sakura: fan I was unbelievably disappointed with funimations lack of effort in doing its best for the return of such a iconic anime I will repeat what i said in the other thread

I grew up in Canada so know the Nelvana dub I also own the blu ray box set from NIS so i have access to the animax dub and i have to say the funimation dub is the worst

im not talking about nor do i care about the edits made in the original Nelvana dub as made by the Studio I am saying that in terms of casting of the main iconic Characters Nelvana was Superior in vocal delvers only in comparison Monica is great in most roles Jason as well just not here I just wish funimation would have looked a little harder for the right fit perhaps a unknown instead of playing it safe because in this case it does not seem to have worked out in the best way

So I am asking that

-Fans Join together and fight for improvement be it through better vocal direction or recasting of at lest the two main characters of Sakura Kinomoto and Shaoran Li

• Funimation recognize respect and work with fans for a positive resolution
      Personnaly speaking i would make Colleen Clinkenbeard the ADR Director

@MJmusicguy Wow! Where do I started with this one? Now I not a really fan of Cardcaptor Sakura so I can said which dub really better here. But Not going talk about the edits b/c that not what your thread is about here. You thread is about the voice direction. And here's the thing about using kid voice actors in cartoons or anime or any type of media like that. Is if they ever go back to the show later on their voices are most likely going to mature and not sound the way they sounded like when they were younger. Carly is 28 years old which means she would've been 12 years old when she did the dub in 2000. Even if Funimation was able to get her to do the character again hypothetically the problem is her voice probably won't sound like she sounded like when she was 12 years old so if she can't make it to her old voice it pointless to have her come back in less she could sound like she one sounded like. Example I'm not sure if you're a fan of Hey Arnold but a lot of the characters in the Hey Arnold cartoon used kid voice actors recently they just came back to doing movie special for Hey Arnold after 15 years of a hiatus so obviously a lot of the kids voice actors that did it 15 years ago we're not able to come back to do their roles for the new movie that just came out. This is the risk you have if you cast a kid voice actors characters that if the show ever takes a break or a hiatus then you're going to probably have to recast the kids role since he most likely won't do that voice anymore since he or she gotten older now. I was at a con a few years ago with Ben Diskin most famous leave the voice actor who voice Numbuh 1. He also before he voiced voiced Eugene from Hey Arnold and he flat out said that he could no longer do that voice anymore because he was a kid he couldn't even imitated it . Also you had to take an account that Carly might not even be currently voice act anymore the last work she did even remotely for acting was in 2013 for a film. Hell if they ever decide to do a continuation of avatar the last Airbender with the comic book events I'm going to have to except the fact that the voice actor for Aang may not be able to come seen his voice actor is an adult now. But the main whole thing here is Funimation really doesn't use kid voice actors I think there's only one person that I can think of that they've ever used that was actually a kid voice actor one he grow now btw. Usually for kid role they always have women voice it if it's a boy to. Nickelodeon are the ones that usually seem to use kid role more times than not. Also I don't think Nelvana Dub is what there going off of anyways. There was Asia Dub that was made for the 1st season to my understand and that the Dub Funimation is going off of. Of course that where going have different voice actor for an Asia Dub since there can't get Asia Voice Actor to come in that would be way to hard. Also no madder what you said it not come to change casting alot DBZ Fan wanted Stephanie Nadolny as Teen Gohan and Kid Goku and where never going get it if sadly. If Funimation will not bring back Stephanie for there BIGGEST title EVER in Dragonball Z there no way there going give in to give in a show that not even close to be being big in the US for a voice actor.

• @gohan6425 I used Carly McKillip as a example yes but your countpoints about age do not matter and add no value because Carly is 28 which is older yes but as i have said before Monica is 42 so your theoredical point is moot Monica was the safest and probably cheapest bet for them being already under contract however i wish they actually carred enough to hold a casting call or choice the best voice which they clearly did not do because Monica as talented is not suited for the role

• I have heard a few people on the internet say they didn't like Roger Craig Smith as Sonic the Hedgehog, and @MJmusicguy's complaints might not be any different. Personally, I think Roger did a good job with SEGA's spiky blue rodent, so maybe I should take MJ's gripes with a pinch of salt. And he should just watch the sub on Crunchyroll. Anyway, I liked Monica Rial as EASY in Drifters, but these guys are making it sound like she lost her touch.

• @LegacyFunUser7875 No im not saying that at all im saying that Monica is a fabulous and talented voice artist but have never been right for the role of sakura not in Tsubasa snd im saying regardless of how the studios destroyed the show in the west Carly at tat time was the perfect choice
    as I said I have the NIS blu ray set so have access to the animax despite its low budget nature i still prefer that to Monica in the sakura role for the record i think Carly could still pull it off here she is in a joint interview with her sister in 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTZB4KVpBGk
    my whole point is actually Funi's lackluster effort go out and find the right people do not sit on your ass with a rolodex and a old ht and draw names

• @MJmusicguy Well, I just gave Monica's Sakura a listen and personally, I think she pulled off the role pretty well. Yes, Funimation's lesser-used actors deserve a chance a shine, and personally, I think that was the case with some of the other characters like Kero, Tomoyo, and Toya, but let's not keep the long-time staples in the dust, now. I think Monica nailed the role, but if you think otherwise, I guess I can't convince you. In the meantime, enjoy this video ripping apart last year's Live Action Death Note Netflix movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59dnMhAwKXo&t=64s

• Dunno if this applies to voice acting, but it's my understanding that there are child labor laws against children working more than a certain amount of hours per day

I don't know how long VAs spend in the studio per day for a simuldub, but considering the specific scheduling required for simuldub production, plus the fact that Sakura has more lines than anyone else in the show, I'm pretty sure it's not feasible to cast a child actress for the role

• Sounded great for me. I don't hear anything that could need fixing.

• I do have a handful of issues with the dub. Personally, I think that Sakura and Tomoyo's actresses could've been swapped and it would've sounded a bit more accurate. And even though it isn't as bad as I was afraid it would be, Jason does still sound a bit too old for Syaoran.

However, that having been said, I still think that in comparison to the Nelvana and Animax dubs, this is objectively the best dub that the Cardcaptor Sakura series has ever gotten. The other two don't even begin to compare.

• The dub can be seen as flawed but better than what it has been ever. Funimations directors don't just draw names out of a hat for funsies. They pick on a variety of factors from availability, who fits the role best based on auditions, consistancy across productions and what Japan tells them to. Each is a case by case basis. The actor you want may have not been aviabale for the strict simuldub schedule. I'd ask you watch the My Hero inside the episode for a good look at how hard the entire staff works to get this out on a week to week basis.

Monica was most likely the best fit and a carry over from Tsubasa as was Jason. All of the other major players have been leads on other shows and are just as big names (hell Yukito/Yue is the lead in My Hero Academia for hecks sake)

The last thing that should be insinuated is that Funimation is lazy. Not getting what you want =/= A lazy production.

• @SpacemanHardy said in Fix Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card DUB:

I do have a handful of issues with the dub. Personally, I think that Sakura and Tomoyo's actresses could've been swapped and it would've sounded a bit more accurate. And even though it isn't as bad as I was afraid it would be, Jason does still sound a bit too old for Syaoran.

This right here is what i want to express but admittedly seem to be doing a piss poor Job of

heres a idea in the future toavoid things like this i think Funi should for iconic series at lest allow fans to hear samples of voices and and vote which voice artists fit key characters the best