Thoughts on CrunchyRoll's Anime Awards.

• Feel free to discuss your picks for this year, and who you think will take home gold.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Best Opening better be Sasageyo. #ErwinDidNotLoseHisArmForThis

• If MHA doesn't win everything it's nominated for I will riot.

• Mmm.... nah.

• It's a popularity contest anyway and not really what should be considered good for the most part. So I usually ignore stuff like that.

Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's actually good

For Example Sword Art Online I like it, and it's popular but it isn't really that great of a show, if you analyze it in depth.

• Don't need to go deep, really.

• My list, and I don't care that I didn't watch everything nominated, its a popularity contest anyway:

Anime of the year: Little Witch

Best Action: This one is pretty hard. MHA has some good moments but a lot of it was more average. I personally don't see the appeal for BBB's action (its more of a comedy to me). AoT only really had like... 2 episodes with good action. Fate/Apocrypha is a show that is pretty much only about action, they just throw logic out the window and say "boy these fights sure look pretty." If i'm looking for action without a story, hells yea I'm going Fate/Apocrypha. If I want one with story I'm going for AoT. MHA has its good moments but I think the pacing kind of hurts it in the action department.

Best animation: I have a preference for LWA here. It just looks so pretty ;-;

Best CGI: I feel that AoT's style fits best to having CGI. I like CGI, but I definitely wouldn't go to anime as a source of good cgi.

Comedy: Honestly its a toss-up between Konosuba and Tsuredure children for me. I'd go with Konosuba though, more relateable to me. For transparency though: never really had any friends of the XX variety so...

Continuing series: Screw all ya'll I LOVE Naruto

Best Drama: Transparency: I've only watched Scum's Wish. But I honestly rank it in my top 5 for the year. I'd sooner vote A Silent Voice if it was in this category though.

Best Boy: Kazuma, more relateable. Deku is wishy washy for me. I do like Todoroki though, but I'm going with the relateable for me one though. Not that I'd say these characters are best though, so many large casts, narrowing it to a select few is very limiting.

Best girl: Atsuko. That's all I have to say.

Best film: Why are these movies so hard to watch online? I want to watch the Girl's und Panzer and Fate movies but for some reason no one streams them legally! So I guess I'll go with one of the two that I own: A Silent Voice. Your Name can't hold a candle to this in my book.

Best manga: I wouldn't vote here but that cover art for "My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness" got a wtf out of me.

Best OP: Sasageyo, would love for Wit Studio to use Celldweller's Jericho for AoT (I can dream)

Best ED: Kuzu no Honkai, but it ain't here so I can't vote for it.

Best Score: iirc it was one of the only things I liked from Re:Creators so... that.

Best SoL: Sakura Quest I guess?

Best Hero: Damn, I do love Atsuko but I don't think Gin Minowa is a hero to scoff at. Fighting multiple Vertices (F&#k them for using "vertexes" a word that isn't one) alone without the ability to go super saiyan.... errrr... I mean Mankai. Props to Deku though. We don't get many heroes where we get to see what they are thinking (why I LOVE the Railgun of Tokiwadai). So.... I'm going Gin Minowa.

Best Villain: Stain I guess? He only really went for lower tier heroes though so...

I guess I've seen my fair share of anime this year. I think I'm gonna try and watch Land of the Lustrous though, seemed to be very common in all the categories.

• Looks like not all categories are open for voting yet. Of particular interest (at least for me) i believe i nominated either New Game or Gamers (always crisscross those) for something and, obviously, Your Name for best movie. I know there will be fallout from those who absolutely love A Silent Voice, however, what can i say, i hadn't been to the movies in years, yet, there was just something about Your Name that compelled me to go out and see it - - three times no less. That's unheard of for me.

For best music, i penciled in Climber's High by Manami Numakura and Watashi no Sekai by Megumi Nakajima (both featured in Fuuka) I have to admit, i was surprised that Fuuka was not chosen, especially for musical composition.

I believe i also nominated Miss Kobayashi for something, don't remember the specific category. I thought the organization for the voting page could have been better, i found myself constantly looping, and probably voted twice in some categories. More or less, i kinda wish it was a standard form. Anyway, special thanks to all those who participated in this thread.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P.J. said in Thoughts on CrunchyRoll's Anime Awards.:

Looks like not all categories are open for voting yet. Of particular interest (at least for me) i believe i nominated either New Game or Gamers (always crisscross those) for something and, obviously, Your Name for best movie. I know there will be fallout from those who absolutely love A Silent Voice, however, what can i say, i hadn't been to the movies in years, yet, there was just something about Your Name that compelled me to go out and see it - - three times no less. That's unheard of for me.
    Sincerely,
    P.J.

For me it was because it was so popular in Japan worldwide that as an anime enthusiast I HAD to see it.... 5 times... with different people every time. I was middle of the road first time I saw it and just needed to talk to someone about it, after the last time I came to the conclusion that I didn't like it.

• Hi Darth,

Did you really see Your Name five times?, but, still thumbs down? Did you see the subbed version? I thought the subbed version provided more context for what i saw in the dubbed. Anyway, i just learned tonight, that Naoko Yamada was involved with the A Silent Voice movie, so, perhaps i should pay closer attention to it...

Regards,
    P.J.

Hi Darth,

Did you really see Your Name five times?, but, still thumbs down? Did you see the subbed version? I thought the subbed version provided more context for what i saw in the dubbed. Anyway, i just learned tonight, that Naoko Yamada was involved with the A Silent Voice movie, so, perhaps i should pay closer attention to it...

Regards,
    P.J.

Four times (had to mental count the three friends and one solo). Yes I still thumbs down it. Its just a movie that doesn't make sense to me from a logical standpoint. How were they body swapping and not realizing the time travel that was also involved? Do you go that long without hearing what year it is? Wouldn't the weeks also not line up? They never tried to call each other? Why didn't Taki actually write his name?

I see this as a movie about someone that lost a friend and forgot who they were. But then they shove romance in at the end. I won't deny that I hated the last 1/3 of the movie.

• I am gonna post my picks cause heck, this is all in good fun and they actually have some pretty good nominations this year!

Best Action
    My Hero Academia Season 2
    Honestly, this came down to the fact that this season has not one, not two, not three but four fights that kept me on the edge of my seat during those episodes. Honestly, Izuku vs. Todoroki is one of my favorite fights ever and it's just an amazing episode, plus the animation at points is just so freaking amazing.

Best Animation
    Little Witch Academia
    It came SUPER close to me picking March Comes in Like a Lion Season 2, as some of those scenes are just freaking amazing, but while it's been a while since I watched Little Witch, I do remember quite clearly how lively, consistent and good the animation was. I mean, realistically I think we all know A Silent Voice has the best animation of that group, but like many others have pointed out, it's not really fair comparing a movie with a tv series.

Best CGI
    Attack on Titan Season 2
    So, we all know Land of the Lustrous is going to win this. But I am watching that show now and honestly, I know my opinion is going to be unpopular but at this point... I don't really see what the huge deal with the animation is. Sure, as far as a CGI series goes, it's quite good BUT I still am honestly not a fan of the look of it. Meanwhile, those maneuver gear scenes in AOT still manage to be extremely memorable and among some of my favorite motion scenes in anime (Yes, I am willfully ignoring the scene with the colossal titan).

Best Comedy
    Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
    This one was pretty simple, I didn't laugh very much beyond a short chuckle with the other shows on the list, Dragon Maid was the only one that really consistently delivered on actually succeeding in getting an kind of laughter out of me.

Best Continuing Series
    March Comes in Like a Lion
    This one is a no contest for me. I didn't much care for the first season of March to be honest, but Season 2 has turned my whole opinion around, it's just incredible and one of the best drama series out there, period.

Best Drama
    March Comes in Like a Lion Season 2
    Like I just said in the above post, it's just one of the best drama shows out there. I will say I have not had a chance to watch season 2 of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju yet, so if I had that opinion might change. And while I love Ancient Magus' Bride and Made in Abyss a lot, as far as drama goes, I just have to go with March.

Best Boy
    Shoto Todoroki
    This is a REEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY close race between he and Rei from March, but I just gotta give it to Shoto. I don't care that he's kinda cliche and all, I freaking love his character.

Best Girl
    Chise Hatori
    Honestly, this one wasn't even a hard choice for me. Chise is an incredible character and has such fantastic development through her series.

Best Film
    Your Name
    Gosh there are some really strong contenders in that category with A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World, but I gotta go with my heart on this one. Your Name is one of my favorite anime films period.

Best Manga
    THE PROMISED NEVERLAND
    Because even though it's not listed, gosh darn it, it's been my favorite manga of the year and I will be doing a write in vote even though it's got little shot of winning.

Best Opening
    Morning Glory - Sakura Quest
    The only other category where I am salty enough to do a write in. The fact this OP isn't even mentioned is a crying shame, it is far and away my favorite opening of the year.

Best Ending
    Kafune - March Comes in Like a Lion Season 2
    I'll admit, it's rare I even watch EDs more then once, so I am going off the one I found most memorable.

Best Score
    Made in Abyss
    This is not even a contest. The soundtrack of this show is freaking god level good, and it suits the series so freaking well. I was hooked on the soundtrack from the moment that opening montage played in the first episode, or the scene where the real reveal of the abyss played, and those are just notable moments in the very first episode!

Best Slice of Life
    Sakura Quest
    It may not be the "critical favorite" or the most popular choice, but it was definitely the show that hooked me the most and I blew through those episodes in no time.

Best Hero
    Izuku "Deku"
    Gin may be really close, but in my mind, Deku really showed what it meant to be a hero this past season.

Best Villain
    Bondrewd
    This is kinda cheating cause I am going just as much off the material to come in the manga, but he is truly a freaking evil villain.

Anime of the Year
    Made in Abyss
    My Hero Academia is a very close second place, but I really have to give it to Made in Abyss. That is a show that doesn't come along very often.

alt text

• I guess with Your Name, i wasn't going too much into chronology etc. rather, just attempting to take in the enormity of it all, which just knocked me for a loop.

Hello once again Emdier,

How are you? I've heard so much about this March Comes In Like A Lion - - still haven't looked into it though. I believe Aki was recently discussing Lustrous for CR's awards as well as her thoughts on the Oscars:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_1HVMnw-610qx54iEiWk7A

Regards,
    P.J.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Thoughts on CrunchyRoll's Anime Awards.:

Do you go that long without hearing what year it is?

Aside from New Year's I rarely actually hear anyone actually say the year. They were using those journal apps on each other's phones to give info back and forth and that should have had the year though.

They never tried to call each other?

They actually did a couple times and it failed. I think Mitsuha brought that up. She also probably realized when she went to meet Taki and he didn't know her as well.

Edit: idk why the weeks thing disappeared but I rarely know what the date is, usually just the day of the week so if they were going Thursday to Thursday instead of the 25 to the 25 I probably wouldn't notice that way either.

• Not related to the awards, but an oddity about dates in Japan which really does create a plausible "problem" with the timeline. You see Western calendar years relatively frequently on official documents, but more often than not (even on my visa paperwork, although not on my residency card) you see the year given as the Imperial calendar. This is based on how long the current Emperor has been in that seat. It would have been all over any kind of announcements on the bulletin boards in the school, and would have been a dead giveaway as to what year it was. Any assignments done in the school would have required it also.

I rarely look at the date on my phone, but it really would be impossible for a student to not know the year.

I hadn't given much thought to the other loopholes I've read online, but this one would actually be a rather obvious one.

• @pleco_breeder said in Thoughts on CrunchyRoll's Anime Awards.:

Not related to the awards, but an oddity about dates in Japan which really does create a plausible "problem" with the timeline. You see Western calendar years relatively frequently on official documents, but more often than not (even on my visa paperwork, although not on my residency card) you see the year given as the Imperial calendar. This is based on how long the current Emperor has been in that seat. It would have been all over any kind of announcements on the bulletin boards in the school, and would have been a dead giveaway as to what year it was. Any assignments done in the school would have required it also.

I rarely look at the date on my phone, but it really would be impossible for a student to not know the year.

I hadn't given much thought to the other loopholes I've read online, but this one would actually be a rather obvious one.

Also all the current events that were going on, one of which being the comet. The news stations they both watch would be talking about relatively the same thing (if they were national or international channels). Even a car commercial would probably be a somewhat obvious giveaway.

They actually did a couple times and it failed. I think Mitsuha brought that up. She also probably realized when she went to meet Taki and he didn't know her as well.

Call, facebook, twitter, Line... some form of social media.

• Looks like now, more categories are open for voting for those interested.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

PS- Might be cool if FUN had their own awards that we could vote in.

• seems REALLY pointless just like the academy awards

• @darkmatterkakine said in Thoughts on CrunchyRoll's Anime Awards.:

seems REALLY pointless just like the academy awards

But unlike the Oscars, I have seem many of the anime nominated. That and I and vote.

• Voting is now closed, but feel free to check in on the results on the 24th @ TWITCH.TV/CRUNCHYROLL

Feel free to discuss your picks for this year, and who you think will take home gold.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

@P-J What do that basic it on? It it like Nick Kids Choice Award?