So why exactly is the Demon Lord being called the "Devil"?

• It'd been bothering me for a while since I found what they've decided to call it. Why is Maou being called the "Devil" when he's the Demon Lord (King?)? Sure, his name is Satan and there are angels in the series, but it still doesn't make calling him what he's not correct. He's the Demon Lord, who controls the demons and monsters in Ente Isla, not the Devil who controls hell.

The series heavily parodies the fantasy hero genre that involves the Demon Lord and Hero, not the Devil. Calling him the Devil makes about as much sense as Psaro being called the Devil in Dragon Quest 4.

• Because it will sell more copies.

• I do not think they interpret Western Religion the same way its followers do. In Western Religion, our deities are absolute beings where in Japan, I think they are just considered representations of aspects of life and the Cosmos.

Look at how Catholic Nuns are portrayed in some shows. Definitely nothing Catholic about them but the dress helps make a cute story. The same story tellers license is given to the deities.

• A more accurate representation of the show's title would be The Devil Is a Freeloading NEET

• @Riles:

A more accurate representation of the show's title would be The Devil Is a Freeloading NEET

I thought he was employed?

• @sidereal_presence:

I thought he was employed?

Lucifer? Not to my knowledge, no

• @John:

I do not think they interpret Western Religion the same way its followers do. In Western Religion, our deities are absolute beings where in Japan, I think they are just considered representations of aspects of life and the Cosmos.

Look at how Catholic Nuns are portrayed in some shows. Definitely nothing Catholic about them but the dress helps make a cute story. The same story tellers license is given to the deities.

He's the Maou, Satan, the Demon Lord, Satan. While he has the name Satan, his title indicates him as a "Demon Lord", not "The Devi". It doesn't really have anything to do with religion, they just decided, for some reason, to ignore his real title (and the fantasy hero genre parody) and call him by the wrong title.

@Riles:

Lucifer? Not to my knowledge, no

He's a fallen angle, not the devil.

• @Orgodemir:

He's a fallen angle, not the devil.

The Devil is THE fallen angel, Johnny Hotshot. The Lucifer name is an erroneous translation of the Bible anyway, but since it's a common name used in pop culture as the name he bore before he was cast from Heaven, it's been grandfathered as another name for The Devil

At any rate, "Demon King" isn't really an identifiable moniker for any being in Western culture, especially when you consider that the demon characters in this show all possess Biblical names anyway. It just makes a lot more sense to title the show as The Devil working fast food, both to reduce confusion within the show as well as garner interest outside of it

• @Riles:

The Devil is THE fallen angel, Johnny Hotshot. The Lucifer name is an erroneous translation of the Bible anyway, but since it's a common name used in pop culture as the name he bore before he was cast from Heaven, it's been grandfathered as another name for The Devil

Depending on what text you're reading, they are referred to as the same being, in many others, they are not. This can argued infinitely and never have a winner.

@Riles:

At any rate, "Demon King" isn't really an identifiable moniker for any being in Western culture, especially when you consider that the demon characters in this show all possess Biblical names anyway. It just makes a lot more sense to title the show as The Devil working fast food, both to reduce confusion within the show as well as garner interest outside of it

Again, this is a parody of the Fantasy Hero genre. Regardless of titles of western deities, he is a Demon Lord. It's not that hard for anyone to grasp the concept of the Demon Lord when the genre has been around for ages now, and is seen in every form of media. Changing his title to something that it is not confuses the intended comedy of the circumstance the characters find themselves in.

• @Orgodemir:

Changing his title to something that it is not confuses the intended comedy of the circumstance the characters find themselves in.

I don't see how. Either way, you still have a commander of an evil army with immense powers trying to sell more french fries than the other branches.