Cardcaptor Sakura/Clear Card

• I dunno if this is exactly needed, but I figure a general thread for both the original, and the new arc would probably be nice.

• Well, the first episode premiered yesterday morning and yet it doesn't seem to be on Funimation's website yet.

• @LegacyFunUser7875 said in Cardcaptor Sakura/Clear Card:

Well, the first episode premiered yesterday morning and yet it doesn't seem to be on Funimation's website yet.

no dub yet

• They said that it'll be in two weeks. Anyway, I think we should do a little reminiscing on this series and I'd like to thank KidsWB! for making me a fan of this wonderful franchise in the first place. I remember watching and loving Pokemon, CardCaptors, Men in Black, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, X-Men Evolution, Max Steel, and the Zeta Project. Though CardCaptors exposed me to the fax that anime wasn't limited to Pokemon, because when I first watched Pokemon, it felt like there was no other cartoon like it. Then I watched an episode of CardCaptors at a friend's house an realized how wrong I was. And I have loved it ever since and even after realizing how it was a drastic dumbing down of the original CardCaptor Sakura anime, I still held it in nostalgic value. And I even watched a few episodes on the internet some CardCaptors episodes that didn't air on KidsWB! as well as re-watching a few that did and I did the same with Men In Black: The Series, though every episode of the latter show did air on KidsWB!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UTB8Bq4hoI

Here's my favorite KidsWB! Cardcaptors promo starring the Men in Black!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sETw8efqWyE

Be sure to check both of these shows out on retrojunk.com

http://www.retrojunk.com/content/child/description/page/39640/cardcaptors
    http://www.retrojunk.com/content/child/description/page/4413/men-in-black-the-series?name=tv

• Also, episode 1 appeared on Crunchyroll last week and I really liked that clip that played before the opening where Kero talks shows a bunch of clips from the original CardCaptor Sakura anime while showing a bunch of clips from it.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/cardcaptor-sakura-clear-card/episode-1-sakura-and-the-clear-cards-758865

• Wow! Quite the passionate response!
    If I'm being totally honest, back then, I was far more narrow with what I was willing to watch. I only ever saw a handful of the episodes that aired. But at the same time, I enjoyed them. Later on, I went to rewatch the whole series myself.
    It does feel a bit different watching it uncut, with the original names, locations and whatever else left untouched, but it's still nostalgic in a good way.

I've seen the first three episodes of Clear Card thus far. I'm hoping this ends up being a somewhat longer running anime. Not too long mind you, but not unresolved as Tsubasa Chronicle was. I think the manga is ongoing? Anyway, I'm excited for more!

• You watched the Japanese version or the Animax dub?

• Neither. I saw the Ocean Studios dub.
    It's far from accurate, but it's what aired on TV here.
    (Quick note, apparently, it's also referred to as the Nelvana dub? I just happened to recognize some of the VAs were from other Ocean Studios dubs.)

• @mariotag But you said

@mariotag said in Cardcaptor Sakura/Clear Card:

It does feel a bit different watching it uncut, with the original names, locations and whatever else left untouched, but it's still nostalgic in a good way.

So, I assume that when you rewatched the show, you watched either the Animax dub or the Japanese version. So I meant during the rewatching specifically when I asked that question.

Anyway, yeah, the manga is ongoing. But I hope the expands upon the manga's initial potential like the original anime did.

Also, I hope you watched other animes with an Ocean Studios dub like Black Lagoon and Death Note. I think of Death Note as taking a basic concept from CardCaptor Sakura, and giving us a significantly blacker take on it. Both of those shows are about ordinary school students who find books that have strange magical powers and then all of a sudden there once-ordinary lives become... well... not so ordinary. They also befriend the weird creatures who originally owned the magical books and both creatures like to eat. A lot.

• @LegacyFunUser7875
    Ohh! Nah. When I said uncut, I was referring to Clear Card. The names and details weren't in the Cardcaptors dub. I was taken aback when I saw the second movie, and later got used to the names from Tsubasa Chronicle, now I'm finally back at CCS where I started.

• @mariotag Well, I was wondering if you considered watching the uncut version of the original later on like what I'm doing right now.

Also, I like how Monica and Jason played Go Fish with the Clow Cards in this video:
    https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/955581854379372544

• @LegacyFunUser7875 That was pretty neat!
    I've considered it. I even started doing just that on crunchyroll. I'm a big dub fan, and tend to aim toward sub only when there's isn't much of a choice.
    Unfortunately, crunchyroll is a massive glitchy pain in the behind to deal with, so, I kinda don't want my anime viewing membership to be there in particular. So I can't see past episode 6. (I think it was 6?)

• I'm currently on episode 5, so I'm gonna see if you're right sometime soon. So far, I've been watching the Animax dub on Crunchyroll without the subscription, i.e. as a free user, and the only difference is the presence of commercial breaks. But I'm only at episode 5, and if free users can't go past episode 6, I'll come back and confirm if you're right.

• I just made it to episode 7 and so far it's working pretty well. I don't see why it failed on your end.

• @mariotag said in Cardcaptor Sakura/Clear Card:

@LegacyFunUser7875
    Ohh! Nah. When I said uncut, I was referring to Clear Card. The names and details weren't in the Cardcaptors dub. I was taken aback when I saw the second movie, and later got used to the names from Tsubasa Chronicle, now I'm finally back at CCS where I started.

So, when you said you're back at CCS, what version are you currently watching? Also, it took me a little time to adjust to the characters' actual names too.

Also, when I watched CardCaptors on KidsWB as a kid, I watched two other KidsWB shows airing along with it that also had Ocean Studios involved: Generation O! and X-Men: Evolution.

• @LegacyFunUser7875 I was referring to Clear Card, as opposed to Tsubasa Chronicle. Not some spinoff, or something like it, but an actual next season.

It works for you? Interesting. Well, I haven't checked in quite a while. I might look back.

• @mariotag Oh. I assumed you meant that you're going back and watching the uncut version of the first show like I'm doing now. I'm currently at episode 17 which contains the very footage that was used in that CardCaptors promo that guest-starred Agents J and K of the Men in Black. You watched Men in Black on Kids WB, right?

• @LegacyFunUser7875 Not really. TBH, I was extremely narrow in what I watched back then. Anything more serious than Pokemon or CCS scared me. I've since improved upon that. A lot.

I'll have to try watching the episode in question.

• That's too bad. Men In Black: The Series has some serious moments, but it also has a lot of funny moments as well. A reviewer said this about it:

"Much like the Real Ghostbusters, the tone of MIB: the Series was borderline bi-polar. One day the episode would be deadly serious, with the MIB battling a monster that's mutilating other aliens and stealing their organs, and the next day the episode would be goofy and out there, with the MIB rescuing Santa Claus from an alien kidnapper. Some thought this was inconsistent, and I suppose that's a fair term for it. However, I thought it was rather refreshing. Too many serious episodes and you get burned out, too many funny episodes and you just get sick of the wackiness. MIB: the Series managed to balance out their serious arcs with comedy relief episodes rather smoothly."

• One odd question, but did the MiB animated series have an episode that used petrification?
    It's pretty much the one clip of the series I can remember, and I'd been curious to see the rest.

• Yes. If you go onto [LINK REMOVED]

EDIT: It is against the website's terms of service to post links to illegally uploaded videos. Please do not do so again. -SH