Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

• As is my normal with new releases coming up, I got in and researched this title this evening. However, some of the info I found was contradictory. I found sources which conflicted in saying that the tile was licensed to both Amazon and CR, and this was more than a bit confusing. ANN said it aired on both. I'm definitely interested in the series, even though I'm not normally into the zombie/horror type anime, because of the artwork I've seen, but trying to learn anything about it has been a nightmare.

Assuming that I'm actually interested in it after seeing the first season, ANN also stated that there will be another slated for some time in 2018. At least it can be safely assumed that it's not going to fall off the face of the planet with a dead storyline.

It's rare that I'm interested in seeing a series based solely on artwork, as this is usually one of the areas which I tend to nitpick even if there's a reasonable story, but I'm actually looking forward to this one provided some of the screen captures I've seen from this series hold up to the actual animation.

• @pleco_breeder said in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress:

As is my normal with new releases coming up, I got in and researched this title this evening. However, some of the info I found was contradictory. I found sources which conflicted in saying that the tile was licensed to both Amazon and CR, and this was more than a bit confusing. ANN said it aired on both. I'm definitely interested in the series, even though I'm not normally into the zombie/horror type anime, because of the artwork I've seen, but trying to learn anything about it has been a nightmare.

Assuming that I'm actually interested in it after seeing the first season, ANN also stated that there will be another slated for some time in 2018. At least it can be safely assumed that it's not going to fall off the face of the planet with a dead storyline.

It's rare that I'm interested in seeing a series based solely on artwork, as this is usually one of the areas which I tend to nitpick even if there's a reasonable story, but I'm actually looking forward to this one provided some of the screen captures I've seen from this series hold up to the actual animation.

It was licensed for Streaming to Amazon, and you can only watch it streaming on Amazon. What CR got was the Home Video Rights, which can be a separate license, or it could be included as part of a licensing package. (See the mess that is Free! Season 1, and Strike the Blood for examples)

So it's unknown as to whether CR got the Home Video rights from Amazon, or the Japanese Licensor.

• To add on, Crunchyroll never streamed Kabaneri on their own site. They don't even have a showpage for it. They did however, put it on Steam.

• odd that a streaming only service would get the home media license...then have to contract with Funimation to release it.

As for Strike the Blood, are we sure Crunchyroll didn't just contract with Discotek to release the Bluray? I have the Bluray and it has Crunchyroll's logo on it, just like Crunchyroll licensed Blurays produced by Funimation.

• @HOOfan1 said in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress:

odd that a streaming only service would get the home media license...then have to contract with Funimation to release it.

Back when they announced Kabaneri they didn't have the deal with Funimation and were probably planning on handling home releases themselves as we can see from a lot of early CR dubs being from Bang Zoom, Ocean, etc or Crunchyroll giving Haikyu S3 to Sentai and Kiznaiver to Aniplex.

• ugg...why give anything to Aniplex so they can charge 3 times as much as Sentai or Funimation.

are any of the Crunchyroll series being dubbed by Funimation? I know Testament of Sister New Devil, while released by Funimation was dubbed by Bang Zoom

• @HOOfan1 Aniplex was also on the production committee.

Also Funimation already has dubbed Crunchyroll shows. New Game, Magus Bride, Luluco, Yuri on Ice, etc.

• @HOOfan1 said in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress:

As for Strike the Blood, are we sure Crunchyroll didn't just contract with Discotek to release the Bluray? I have the Bluray and it has Crunchyroll's logo on it, just like Crunchyroll licensed Blurays produced by Funimation.

That's more or less correct. CR originally had licenses for 6 or so titles that had the Home Video rights as part of the contract and originally, only Discotek was willing to offer favorable terms to do so. At the Time, Funimation only wanted Free! Season 1. Which left 2 really decent shows, Strike the Blood, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, without dubs.

(I'm holding out hope that STB, eventually gets a Funimation dub some day, and that they pick up the 10 OVA episodes when they do so)

• Yeah, Ive been hoping for that as well ever since the partnership was announced

• @Series5Ranger said in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress:

@HOOfan1 said in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress:

That's more or less correct. CR originally had licenses for 6 or so titles that had the Home Video rights as part of the contract and originally, only Discotek was willing to offer favorable terms to do so. At the Time, Funimation only wanted Free! Season 1. Which left 2 really decent shows, Strike the Blood, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, without dubs.

(I'm holding out hope that STB, eventually gets a Funimation dub some day, and that they pick up the 10 OVA episodes when they do so)

especially since the OVAs are essentially season 2...get on that CR and FUNI

• I hadn't even thought about either of those titles being licensed by CR since the partnership began. I read the manga for Strike the Blood, but haven't made it as far as the anime yet. Because I avoided subs for so long, they're kind of confusing while learning the language because of inconsistencies in translation (and difficult to avoid reading), I have a HUGE backlog of shows to catch up on.

I honestly never paid much attention to which shows CR licensed other than to think "Crap, there's another that won't be getting dubbed." The more this thread continues, the more obvious it becomes that there may actually be an advantage to dub fans from the CR Funimation deal.

Some of the earlier comments, do have me wondering who is actually deciding which shows are going to receive dubs for home release though. It sounds as if CR already had made plans to begin dubbing through outside studios before the Funimation deal. It seems that Funimation may have been an afterthought which allowed for both studio and distribution routes. Because of this, and the CR label on home releases, whether Funimation is licensing the home video release, or is simply contracted by CR to do the home video distribution. Most of the CR titles which have come about so far, aside from broadcast dubs, (meaning older titles from CR library) have been dubbed by outside studios and home distribution by Funimation.

Just some random thoughts, but I have to be curious about the nature of the agreement when so much does point to this partnership looking like a "Contract Funimation to do all of CR home releases and broadcast dub episodes (for future release)." Again, I know the conspiracy theories are running rampant in this post, but these points do make me question the basis of the agreement.

Either way, I still agree with everyone in wanting to see Strike the Blood and Arpeggio of Blue Steel dubbed, regardless of the mechanics which make it happen.

• So where did the 2 episodes tat they had available go ? I had them in my watch list but they are gone now . Just like Omani Himari and Nichijo . Gone with the wind . Guess Sony is starting to screw over members now ? I still have fond memories of their root kits they installed when you used their dvd drives...

• @sirbiscuit This has nothing to do with Sony at all. Funimation thought that they had permission to stream the series in English, but that turned out to be an error, so they had to take the episodes down. If anything, Amazon is probably the one who's mostly to blame.

• @SpacemanHardy Amazon? How? I don't get it, does Amazon have streaming rights?

• @KennySenpaiStryker said in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress:

@SpacemanHardy Amazon? How? I don't get it, does Amazon have streaming rights?

Yes Amazon has exclusive NA Streaming rights to the series. It should be noted that it's probably a limited time exclusive, but for how long, it remains to be seen.

• @sirbiscuit said in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress:

I had them in my watch list but they are gone now . Just like Omani Himari and Nichijo .

Was Nichijo ever available for streaming on the website? I don't ever recall seeing it (or anyone else mentioning it, for that matter).

As for Omari Himari, the 2 episodes Funimation had made available for streaming were taken down after they made the full series available for streaming over on Crunchyroll.

• Was Nichijo ever available for streaming on the website?

No.