What shows are you following this season?

• Every simuldub season I tend to pick a handful of shows out of the bundle Funimation provides, and leave the rest on the backburner or followup if they receive positive attention. I tend to get overwhelmed with so many new shows being produced at once.

So what are you all watching this season, and how did you decide?

This season I chose:

Urahara
    King's Game
    Konohana Kitan
    Anime Gataris

I got into Urahara because Emily Neves posted this article on her Twitter feed, and thought it was worth checking out. I really like the unique art style and the lightheartedness of the subject matter. To my amazement, this show has been receiving really bad ratings. Anime Planet in particular has it listed as 1.76/5, which I think is absurdly low.

For King's Game, I kept seeing little updates about the script adaptation from Michelle Rojas, and decided to check it out out of curiosity. This show also has gotten really low overall ratings, which from the content, I can at least understand. So far, it's basically been like a bad thriller/slasher movie, where tons of people die gruesome deaths, yet as the viewer, you don't really feel too bad for them. Once you accept that it's going to be pretty low brow, it's actually really fun. I find myself unintentionally laughing at most of the death scenes, and am always entertained by how not-particularly-creative-or-smart these characters seem to be.

Kinohana Kitan I began watching as it first premiered, just on a whim. Some people just want to watch the world burn, others just want to watch little fox girls run a hotspring. Based solely on the thumbnail, the show has been almost exactly what I expected it to be. No complaints, though not particularly enthralling either.

Anime-Gataris is so far, in my experience, the most satisfying and enjoyable of the season. I got hooked on the show thanks to this scene. AGAIN this show has gotten fairly low ratings, which makes me dumbfounded. Much less a show than a PSA, it's a brilliant self-aware commentary on the anime fandom and industry trends. Every episode has been excellent. I love me some good satire!

I also watched the first two episodes of Ancient Magus Bride. This show obviously has a lot of hype around it, and it seems to be pretty mature and conceptually detailed. I'm not following it week to week, but I know I'll eventually binge the whole thing.

Last, I watched the first episode of Black Clover when Funimation hosted the premiere watch party. I think it could be an entertaining show to poke fun at with friends, but I don't plan on keeping up with it or binging it in the future. Seems a bit too, eh, youthy in my opinion.

Do you guys have any thoughts on these shows, or want to share a pitch for something you're enjoying?

• So if we are speaking strictly simuldubs, it's actually one of the seasons where I watch the most stuff.

Black Clover It's one of my favorites. It was already one of my favorite JUMP title before the anime and seeing all the characters I love animated is a joy. All the great sakuga is also a plus. Justin Briner is voicing Luck. The best VA for the best boy. So it makes this a highlight.

Kino's Journey I'm a big fan of the original and this is Kino with a artstyle I like even more. So it is an easy watch. Really liking this new story so far.

BBB&B It's BBB and its a BONES anime. Do I need to say more? It has energy, it's vibrant, tons of amazing characters, it has BONES visuals and it has Yutaka Nakamura.

Garo Vanishing line I found the first Garo ok-fun. The Makai knights are cool. I thought this one looked interesting and so far its pretty fun. Sword is pretty cool.

I plan on checking out Ancient Magus and A sister's all you need later on. Counting the sub stuff I watch, it's a pretty packed season for me.

• Well, since I'm dyslexic, I have to rely on Funimation's simuldubs heavily, and such watching subs is out of question.

I'm watching following:-

Black Clover
    Animegataris
    A Sister's All You Need
    Konohana Kitan
    Recovery of an MMO Junkie
    Dies Irae
    The Ancient Magus Bride
    Code: Realize
    Juni Taisen
    GARO - Vanishing Lines
    Kino's Journey
    King's Game
    URAHARA

Moreover, I'm planning to watch following once it's done airing/streaming:-

Mobile Suit Gundam - Iron Blooded Orphans
    Love Live Sunshine
    Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond

• @KennySenpaiStryker Wow, so that's pretty much the whole lineup huh?

• I fall into pretty much the same category. I'll end up taking in Garo and Gundam marathon style at some point later because of time restrictions. Urahara will probably be the first anime which Funimation has made a broadcast dub of which I will not finish (and only the third anime which I have ever not finished after watching an episode). I'll leave my reasons out since I don't want to trash talk something which I'm positive there are fans of reading this.

Aside from that, I'm following the entire season in either dub, sub, or raw format. I honestly feel this season is a bit of a slump compared to the recent selection, and those which I'm looking forward to next year. However, I'm also watching UQ Holder, Shokugeki no Souma, Blend S, and My Girlfriend is a Shobitch.

My biggest complaint of the season is my own fault though. i broke my own rule and started watching Recovery of an MMO Junkie in raw format prior to the broadcast dub release. I knew I'd be watching the dub as part of a group, but didn't want to wait. Because of that error in Judgement, I tend to nitpick the dub (in my own head in order to not mess up the show for the others) because of changes and differences in acting.

Still not sure how I'm going to deal with that next season because of so many shows I want to watch in original format, but don't want to give up on the group watching session. Not too many people are happy to hear, during discussion of a show that they enjoyed, that the dub messed up something which was epic in the original. Likewise, it's not easy to keep from honestly critiquing the differences when talking about an episode.

• This season I'm actually not watching much. I'm currently going through:
    JUNI TAISEN = This show is currently scratching that action-itch, and it just has enough plot to be entertaining and not to filler-ey. It's a show I'm currently enjoying, and I'll likely stick with it to the end. Granted, it's not the best, but it's a nice junk food action flick.
    The Ancient Magus' Bride = This is one of my favourites in general, and not just in the animation scene. It's a lovely story rich, romantic show, that's not ruined by the action (yet). As long as it keeps going at this pace and doesn't turn into some big action set-piece show I'll be happy.
    Recovery of an MMO Junkie = It's a show that I've been enjoying thus far, but some moments are very hit or miss. In other words I can see why some would love this show, and likewise, I can see why some would hate it. Not something I'd recommend to everyone, but as something on in the background, it's pretty good.

Two honourable mentions:
    I've also re-started watching Sakura Quest. It was a show I was watching when it was being dubbed, but I just stopped watching it, no reason why, I just did. I'm not saying it's a bad show, It's just I wasn't invested in the characters or the setting.
    I'm also waiting for some more of D.Gray-man (season 3). I mean, come on, the dub release of that show is all over the place.

• Nothing. Fall is so full of college football, college basketball, stuff like Lucifer, Gotham, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, games I am trying to play. My Crunchyroll and FunimationNow ques are full of literally hundreds of older shows I want to watch, I've bought a bunch of anime Blurays recently that I want to watch.

Well...I will be watching Black Clover on Adult Swim though, otherwise Summer seems to be the only time I watch simulcast series. I plan to watch several of the series that are out now...everything but King's Game is on the table, and I will have to hear more information on Dies Irae. I am not into snuff anime.

• Recovery of an MMO Junkie
    Ancient Magus Bride
    GARO Vanishing Line
    Konohana Kitan
    Animegataris

• For me this has been an exceptionally good season so I'm watching a lot. But my favorite has to be Konohana Kitan I just cant get enough of that show. I only wish it was 2 cour...

List of shows I'm still watching from favorite to least favorite:
    Konohana Kitan
    A Sister's All You Need
    Kino's Journey
    Love Live! Sunshine
    Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
    The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Anime-Gataris
    Black Clover

• @MyOnlyFarph Yeah, except for Battleship. I'm skipping that.

Well, there's only few anime that I can watch, so I heavily rely on Funimation for their simuldubs.

I've just watched first two episodes of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and it pretty much impressed me, I'll be pre-ordering it later two.

• I'm keeping up with pretty much everything except for Konohana Kitan and Urahara. I might end up dropping King's Game, though; it's just a bit too trashy for my taste.

• is this meant to be only what funi is showing, or can it be everything this season?

• @Getchman I meant in regards to the simuldubs, but you can talk about whatever you're following.

• I believe i watched part or all of the first episode of MMO junkie over on CR. Haven't gotten back to it. By the way, you have a very nice Nagato-Yuki wallpaper under your profile,

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @KennySenpaiStryker said in What shows are you following this season?:

Well, since I'm dyslexic, I have to rely on Funimation's simuldubs heavily, and such watching subs is out of question.

For the same reason, I'm following...

A Sister's All You Need.
    Anime-Gataris
    Black Clover
    Blood Blockade Battlefront Season 2
    Code:Realize -Guardian of Rebirth-
    Dies Irae
    Garo Vanishing Line
    Juni Taisen Zodiac War
    King's Game
    Kino’s Journey -the Beautiful World- the Animated Series
    Konohana Kitan
    Love Live! Sunshine!!
    Star Blazers Space Battleship Yamato 2199
    The Ancient Magus' Bride

There is one non-funimation show I'm also watching that is Subbed (takes me twice the time to watch, but totally worth it).

Inuyashiki is, IMO, the best series that came out for this season.

• ok, since I watch on average 30-40 new shows a season, I am watching all the of the shows that funi is simuldubbing. so im watching most of them again, expect for King's Game, Code Realize, and Urahara. I am also watching the dub of Yamato 2199

• I'm watching all the new shows on funimation, except for Urahara, i just cant do it. Although Kings game is also starting to get on my nerves along with Dies Irae, I'm just sitting through those on my days when i have nothing going on.
    As for the shows I'm really enjoying and looking forward to they are Black clover, Recovery of an MMO junkie and The ancient magnus bride. Black clover is on a slow start and theres to much screaming but i like the story and want to see more. The Ancient Magnus Bride is just amazing, nothing else to say. MMO junkie i just love those types of shows, but seriously Sakurai needs to grow a pair and ask Moriko to be his lady!!

• @P.J. Why thank you.