Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017

• The below subtitled series will be removed from FunimationNow on December 1, 2017. All are currently available on Crunchyroll. The dubs will remain on FunimationNow.

• Noein
    • Ouran High School Host Club
    • The Galaxy Railways
    • Yu Yu Hakusho S1

• Hi Sophie,

Is there any particular reason why this keeps happening? Is there any way of stopping future removals?

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P.J. said in Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017:

Hi Sophie,

Is there any particular reason why this keeps happening? Is there any way of stopping future removals?

Sincerely,
    P.J.

Funimation and Crunchyroll partnership. Funimation keeps the dub version of these shows for their own service while Crunchyroll gradually gains rights to stream all the subtitled versions there.

• Hello Classy Spartan,

I guess i was under the assumption of a "commingling" of sorts between the two? For example, CrunchyRoll would send some subtitled over here, meanwhile, FUNimation would send dubbed over there. I recently received an e-mail from CrunchyRoll that they would be receiving D-Frag dubbed. Reciprocally, what will FUNimation receive in scope of that? More and more, it seems like FUNimation is just sending away subtitled, yet, i thought the point of the alliance was so that FUN could get subtitled? Further, you explain,

"Crunchyroll gradually gains rights to stream all the subtitled versions there."

Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but, i thought CR was all about subtitled (primarily) from the start, so, how is it that now they need to gain rights etc.?

Is this "partnership" really all one-sided? Ideally, i wish FUN could come to a place where their catalog is becoming more robust in both sub/ dub not shrinking and sending away titles.

Regards,
    P.J.

• The goal from the beginning, as it was announced, was to separate the two. CR gets the subs from Funimation library, and Funimation gets access to dub and stream CR licensed titles. This is the reason for the recent influx of CR titles like "Testament of Sister New Devil" getting ported over as dub on Funimation. The original announcement said that Funimation would eventually become dub only, and CR would become sub only. Supposedly this was going to allow each of them to focus on their "specialty" while also increasing both libraries. However, it seems a lot more titles are going to CR than are coming to Funimation. It has to be assumed this is because of the time required for dubbing.

I got a message about the sub of D-Frag becoming available on CR, but haven't seen anything about dub.

Is this "partnership" really all one-sided? Ideally, i wish FUN could come to a place where their catalog is becoming more robust in both sub/ dub not shrinking and sending away titles.

on top of dubs Funimation also gets home releases which make far more money than streaming. Two of Funimation's top promoted simuldubs this season came from Crunchyroll being Ancient Magus Bride (which Crunchyroll is on the production committee for) and Black Clover (from TV Tokyo and Miles confirmed via Twitter it was Crunchyroll's license but I can't find that right now). Urahara also came from Crunchyroll and it's likely Juni Taisen and Kino's Journey did as well as Crunchyroll announced them early.

On top of this Funimation has gotten titles like Gintama S3, Yuri on Ice, Mob Psycho 100 and probably others I'm forgetting that are all super popular. There's also been an increase in simuldubs. This season there's 16 (plus kinda Dragon Ball Super)Summer 2016 (the season before the partnership started) they had 14 simuldubs but really it's 13 as Planetarian and Arslan are both included (former is 6 episodes, later is 4). Spring 2016 they had 7 simuldubs. They haven't been that low since.

While there seems to be more transferring of titles from Funimation to Crunchyroll I don't think this is one-sided.

• Hello to both Pleco Breeder and Double Three,

I have a feeling this (at least for me) might be a bit tedious, reminding me somewhat of net neutrality which Farph and Darth had an interesting conversation on some time back.

Based on Pleco Breeder's assessment, am i to understand that although a partnership was established between both companies it's not necessarily that dubs are going to CR, rather, each enterprise is focusing on what it does best? Upon further review, as i was operating on the premise that perhaps dubs were going to CR, i might have assumed that D-Frag would be dubbed on CR, however, it is subbed. Interesting... Would it be better for CR to get dubbed properties from FUNimation in this partnership to expand their viewership also in scope of (as indicated) them sending subtitled properties to FUN for dubbing? Then again, i guess CR is getting new titles for their library like with the addition of D-Frag... I guess it's odd; FUNimation sending subtitled properties out to CR (i guess that's their specialty) yet also receiving subtitled from CR to dub? Is there any way FUN could have kept ahold of their existing subtitled content and slate it for dubbing?

Some other thoughts-

Would Double Three agree with Pleco Breeder's post? Would Double Three dissent in part?

The mention of Planetarian, is that in accordance with the Planetarian VN i have seen on STEAM?

Thank you both for providing context,
    P.J.

Is there any way FUN could have kept ahold of their existing subtitled content and slate it for dubbing?

They're already dubbed and streaming here, as well as home releases out for sale, PJ.
    Nothing to worry over.

• Hello once again Nobu,

Wow, haven't talked to you in some time... Hopefully your thanksgiving was good?

Now, if i'm to understand correctly, you are saying that before subtitled properties are relinquished to CR, FUN dubs them so we would be covered in that regard? I wonder when Jinsei, Life Consulting might be dubbed?

Also, in this thread: https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/15064/why-i-boycott-funimation/6?page=1 did you happen to momentarily gain access to your old account?

Have you heard from Grand Alliance? Still amazes me that TGA is no longer a contributor here...

Hoping this post finds you well,
    P.J.

subtitled properties are relinquished to CR, FUN dubs them so we would be covered in that regard?

So far all the titles sent to CR are older FUNI catalog titles with existing dubs.

I wonder when Jinsei, Life Consulting might be dubbed?

No idea, if ever. Not all CR titles will be dubbed. (fixed)

• Interesting... So Jinsei was sent from CR? I haven't seen all the episodes, but, looks like a cute storyline so far. I'm also trying to finish How To Raise a Boring Girlfriend over on CR.

So Jinsei was sent from CR?

Oh, no. You got me there. :oops:
    Already released on home video, sub-only. Will probably never be dubbed.

I'm also trying to finish How To Raise a Boring Girlfriend over on CR.

That's Aniplex. Forget about getting a FUNI dub/stream.

• @P.J. yeah I agree with him, was just adding on. Also the Planetarian anime is an adaptation of the visual novel you see on Steam. Pretty good one too so if you prefer anime to visual novels I wouldn't feel bad suggesting you could just watch the anime and ignore the visual novel (which is pretty rare for those adaptations).

• @Sophie said in Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017:

The below subtitled series will be removed from FunimationNow on December 1, 2017. All are currently available on Crunchyroll. The dubs will remain on FunimationNow.

• Noein
    • Ouran High School Host Club
    • The Galaxy Railways
    • Yu Yu Hakusho S1

@Sophie Question. Does this Mean Dubs there are on Crunchyroll like Zatch Bell will be making it way to the FunimationNow?

• @gohan6425 said in Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017:

Zatch Bell

Zatch Bell is licensed by Viz, so no. There are certain properties licensed by Crunchyroll which Funimation has gotten dub streaming and physical release rights to. Myriad Colors Phantom World, Testament of Sister New Devil, Hundred etc.

If there is a dub already on Crunchyroll, then likely someone other than Crunchyroll or Funimation own the license to it. The deal here gives Funimation access to shows licensed by Crunchyroll, Funimation can have it dubbed and then stream the dub and release the shows on Bluray. In return Crunchyroll will have rights to stream the dubs on shows they are sharing.

• @HOOfan1 said in Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017:

Zatch Bell is licensed by Viz, so no.

Formely Viz. It's now owned by New Video Group, actually.

• @HOOfan1 said in Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017:

@gohan6425 said in Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017:

Zatch Bell

Zatch Bell is licensed by Viz, so no. There are certain properties licensed by Crunchyroll which Funimation has gotten dub streaming and physical release rights to. Myriad Colors Phantom World, Testament of Sister New Devil, Hundred etc.

If there is a dub already on Crunchyroll, then likely someone other than Crunchyroll or Funimation own the license to it. The deal here gives Funimation access to shows licensed by Crunchyroll, Funimation can have it dubbed and then stream the dub and release the shows on Bluray. In return Crunchyroll will have rights to stream the dubs on shows they are sharing.

@HOOfan1 viz media doesn't have a license anymore. Just why we didn't see you see just why we didn't see you see you soon a season 3 get Dub. -_- so since the dubs being shown on Crunchyroll. Based on the logic that's been talked about here that funimation gets the dubs and Crunchyroll gets the subs. Then Zatch Bell Dub should be move over to FunimationNow.

• @gohan6425 said in Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017:

@HOOfan1 viz media doesn't have a license anymore. Just why we didn't see you see just why we didn't see you see you soon a season 3 get Dub. -_- so since the dubs being shown on Crunchyroll. Based on the logic that's been talked about here that funimation gets the dubs and Crunchyroll gets the subs. Then Zatch Bell Dub should be move over to FunimationNow.

Well Crunchyroll still doesn't own the license. They got the right to stream the show from someone else. Even if Crunchyroll has the right to stream certain shows, if they don't own the license, then they can't give Funimation the right to stream it.

Here is a list of shows Crunchyroll and Funimation are sharing https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/12914/funimation-and-crunchyroll-shared-anime/2?page=1

• @Doublethree100 said in Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017:

@P.J. said in Subtitled Properties Leaving FunimationNow - 12/1/2017:

on top of dubs Funimation also gets home releases which make far more money than streaming. Two of Funimation's top promoted simuldubs this season came from Crunchyroll being Ancient Magus Bride (which Crunchyroll is on the production committee for) and Black Clover (from TV Tokyo and Miles confirmed via Twitter it was Crunchyroll's license but I can't find that right now). Urahara also came from Crunchyroll and it's likely Juni Taisen and Kino's Journey did as well as Crunchyroll announced them early.

On top of this Funimation has gotten titles like Gintama S3, Yuri on Ice, Mob Psycho 100 and probably others I'm forgetting that are all super popular. There's also been an increase in simuldubs. This season there's 16 (plus kinda Dragon Ball Super)Summer 2016 (the season before the partnership started) they had 14 simuldubs but really it's 13 as Planetarian and Arslan are both included (former is 6 episodes, later is 4). Spring 2016 they had 7 simuldubs. They haven't been that low since.

While there seems to be more transferring of titles from Funimation to Crunchyroll I don't think this is one-sided.

Yeah, I'd argue a good majority of Funimation's announced "Simuldubs" have been sub-licenses from Crunchyroll, in addition to getting the home video release rights from various series. So while Funimation isn't getting weekly additions to their catalog like CR are, they're clearly also benefiting from the business partnership.

Add to that it also feels like ever since the arrangement, Funimation has also upped their game in securing the rights to shows that were floating in licensing limbo for years like Hyouka, Gosick, and Star Blazers.

• Hello once again Nobu,

Thank you for providing more info on that,

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Hello once again Double Three,

You know, although the Planetarian VN (content wise) seems a little sad to me, it still intrigues me... Maybe i will look into both down the line. Thanks for re-entering the thread and providing more information,

Sincerely,
    P.J.