Legit phone call I had today

• Today is Black Friday, I work in the electronics section in a Walmart, as you might imagine it's busy. I was constantly advocating to not answer any phone calls to everyone, we don't have the time to answer them.

I answered the phone (because I had like 10 seconds to stand there and take it) in extreme annoyance because IT WOULDN'T STOP RINGING GOD DAMN IT!

"Hi do you still have the black friday deals going for the video games?" - person on other side of phone

"Is today Friday?" - Me

"...okay... do you guys have 2k18?" -little annoyance for him

"which console?" - Me, context: I was going to say yes no matter the console (download codes exist and we also had the LE ones no one wants).

"PS4" - him

"Yes" - me

"can you hold one for me?" -him again.

"No." -Me, Reason: even if we did or didn't have it we can't hold items for anyone and there's a very high likelihood we were going to sell out of the "last one" anyway. (note, we don't actually have EVERYTHING all readily available, we don't want to sell all our normal stock too).

Said something again that just got a no answer, then:

"you really need to work on your customer service" - Him (he also said something about me being a smartass)

"Okay." - Me. I should've said: Dumbass questions will get dumbass answers.

I think he was saying something before I just hit end call.

I really should've exclaimed, HOLY CRAP IS TODAY SATURDAY!? Why was I being the way I was? I wanted to be quick on the call, so I chose the route that would end with the quickest result, didn't care about the result.

If you have to call and ask, chances are the store doesn't have any more. You should've heard how long that god damn thing was ringing after 6pm Thursday. Dear god that thing wouldn't stop, like what makes people think that calling someplace during the busiest time of year is a good idea?

• That's what we get for working in customer service 😁

• Walmart has a bad reputation. People there don't provide good customer service.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Legit phone call I had today:

Walmart has a bad reputation. People there don't provide good customer service.

Total and utter BS, the CS you get is dependent on how you are treating the person you are talking to. Do you know how often people call my store and not actually come? How many prank calls we get? I had some dumbass kid call, asking if I had an Xbox (me personally having one) and he was jerking me around about trying to get other people that I work with that have one. I told him that its super unrealistic for me to get everyone in the store over to the phone so he could get their tags. Last thing he said to me was that he was lonely so I just hanged up. I don't work retail to hear your life story. I will help you make an informed purchase, I will tell you where product X is, I will even get you someone else if there is something I can't help with. Working retail, you are an actor. Smartass, snarky, and straight forward me will sometimes slip out, and I usually tell you if I'm going to be if I can't think of any other way to react.

But I don't care about anything about you. Just like how I usually don't care about the life-story of those I work with (I remember just enough to get by).

Some idiot was trying to say I was wrong about my store not price matching. He was like "yea you do", after we both just repeated the same thing, I pointed at the sign above our registers (that are a year old now) saying we don't price-match, and we haven't since August 16, 2016. And you know what happened? Prices (at least all over grocery) dropped. I was there that day, the DM wasn't happy at how many price changes she had (that was her whole day).

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Legit phone call I had today:

It's Walmart...I bet people go in there expecting employees getting paid $9/hour to be experts on all of the 100,0000+ items that are sold in the store.

You don't hold sale merchandise either, especially door buster type stuff, that's rude to the people who actually get there first, not to mention, suppose that guy never showed up to get the held merchandise? If I were a store manager, my policy would be to never hold merchandise.

• @HOOfan1 said in Legit phone call I had today:

@Spaceshotx7 said in Legit phone call I had today:

It's Walmart...I bet people go in there expecting employees getting paid $9/hour to be experts on all of the 100,0000+ items that are sold in the store.

You don't hold sale merchandise either, especially door buster type stuff, that's rude to the people who actually get there first, not to mention, suppose that guy never showed up to get the held merchandise? If I were a store manager, my policy would be to never hold merchandise.

My only exception is/was if you had a TV with a shattered screen or something. If you are telling me that your product was destroyed or whatever and you'd want it exchanged, I'll be nice enough to grab one for you. It happens and I'd be willing to help you there.

• Oh and Customer Servicing isn't a one-size fits all approach, you can be the nicest person on the face of the Earth, someone will still bitch about something and make it hostile. It could be as simple as not letting you use a cart because its against our store's policy, or that people steal things (or at least disappear somehow) and will therefore cause our inventory to be wrong, laptops, desktops, amiibos, games, TVs, and without their UPC and management's approval we can't 0 items out to show that we don't have it. God I hate those people...

• I know all about CS stuff. I get people (and my coworkers) who bitch when we can't tell them someone about their child's or family members account since they are not authorized to have access to that information. I get people upset because stuff times take to produce and send out and they want it yesterday.

• @darthrutsula40 @otakuanthony

You want to see dangerous, work in a Home Improvement store when the bedding plants come in. There were Little Old Ladies about ready to come to blows over certain bedding plants, we needed a manager to come in to break it up.

• Darth explains,

"i don't work retail to hear your life story..."

I swear, you remind me so much of my former print services supervisor (laughs)

Series5Ranger explains,

"almost came to blows over certain bedding plants..."

Funny.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Legit phone call I had today:

Oh and Customer Servicing isn't a one-size fits all approach, you can be the nicest person on the face of the Earth, someone will still bitch about something and make it hostile. It could be as simple as not letting you use a cart because its against our store's policy, or that people steal things (or at least disappear somehow) and will therefore cause our inventory to be wrong, laptops, desktops, amiibos, games, TVs, and without their UPC and management's approval we can't 0 items out to show that we don't have it. God I hate those people...

This also goes the other way though.Case in point, I'm currently down sick with the flu, and had a doctor appointment yesterday to get meds to at least feel like I'm going to survive. Got out of the appointment before 9, and pharmacy wasn't open yet. After working all night, I decided I'd just go pick it up after I got some sleep, and allow them time to fill the prescription. Doctor gave me a dose to start on while in the office. Seemed like common sense to me, but apparently not to the pharmacy. Went in SEVEN HOURS later to be told it's not ready yet. The conversation went something like this:
    Them: It's not ready, so if you can have a seat we'll have it in a little while.
    Me: How long is a little while, because you've had it for seven hours.
    Them: I don't know. We're running a little bit behind.
    Me: A little bit??? I gave it seven hours to be filled. Meanwhile, I'm standing here in line passing a confirmed case of the flu to everybody I have to talk to or that has to breath the same air as me. Heeeellooooo, My name is ________. Niiiiiiiiiice to meeeeeeeeeet youuuuuuuu. When is is going to be ready????

Moral of the story, ignorance runs rampant on both sides of the counter. Some people cannot call what they are doing "customer service" even when given every opportunity to do so. If I was given seven hours to complete a task, only to tell someone "It's not done yet, please wait", I'd have to start looking for another job. Even worse, the medicine comes pre-packaged on a blister card. No measuring dose or counting pills required. Just throw it in a bag, and let it sit till I get there to pick it up.