Subtitles for the English dub script on Home media releases.

• Sometimes when a character mumbles a line or says something quickly, it is hard to understand what they are saying. The first time that happened, I turned on subtitles, but found the subtitles were for the Japanese language version and did not match the dialogue of the script.

It seems to me
    English 1 Subtitles are for the Japanese language version
    English 2 Subtitles are for translating script which appears on screen

I would like an English 3 Subtitles option which gives subtitles for the dub script.

To keep people from confusing the different subtitles, there should be a menu option and a legend on the packaging or discs themselves.

Edit: I was doing some googling about Funimation Bluray Closed Captioning and came across another thread requesting this.

Someone in that thread said they were not going to buy anymore Funimation Blurays because unlike DVDs they don't have subtitles available on Dubs.

I will admit that I am much less experience with Bluray players, and I have only ever used a PS4, PS3 or XBONE as a Bluray player.

When I am watching on DVD, I have a button on my remote specifically to cycle through subtitles. I can be watching the dubbed version, and hit that button and bring up English 1 subtitles, for the subtitles of the Japanese Language version, and then cycle to Subtitles 2 to bring up translation for Japanese script on the screen, and press it again to get rid of the subtitles.

Although, I would like subtitles which follow the dub script, I sometimes also like to pull up the subtitles for the Japanese language version to see what changes were made to the dialogue for the dub.

Is this not something that can be done with Bluray, for example, if I am watching the dub version, is it not possible to bring up the subtitles for the Japanese language version?

• If you turn on closed captions for your TV, do any appear?

• I tried that and it didn't work.

I need to try again, to make sure the CC button I am pressing gives me a prompt on the screen indicating that the CC function is working on the TV and not the cable box.

• @Sophie said in Subtitles for the English dub script on Home media releases.:

If you turn on closed captions for your TV, do any appear?

Okay, tried it again

tried an older show: "Corpse Princess" on DVD. turned CC on for my Samsung J6200 TV and no captions appeared on screen.
    tried a newer show on DVD: "Haganai Next" same result, no captions appear.

tried :Haganai Next" Bluray on my PS4. it is hooked up to a PC monitor, so no CC function through that, but I turned CC on through the PS4 settings and no captions appeared on screen.

I'd like dubtitles, and I understand some people end up watching the wrong audio with the wrong titles, but I think a legend on the box or option in the disk menu could clear that up.