Passport to Japan Contest.

• Did anyone happen to do this? I was thinking about it, but, wasn’t all that interested in some of the anime required. Also, any chance we can get a cool mascot like Hime? ;-)

0_1510817201360_passport 3.JPG

Regards,
    P.J.

• @P.J. gonna be honest, I justed muted a few of them and had them play in the background while I did other things which counted.

• Yea I filled it, only to realize Quebec was once again excluded, because of course we are. Stupid law.

Made me watched I would never have watched like Urahara and MMO junkie. They weren't bad, but definitely not my thing.

• @GoldCrusader said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

Yea I filled it, only to realize Quebec was once again excluded, because of course we are. Stupid law.

The exact reason why I don't bother participating in any contest on the internet anymore...

• It's a really cool promotion idea! What would be a suiting Funimation prize?

-Trip to Funimation HQ?
    -Booth Session with (X) Voice Actor?
    -VIP Trip to a convention with Funimation?

• @JayHairston said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

It's a really cool promotion idea! What would be a suiting Funimation prize?

-Trip to Funimation HQ?

Yes. All of them would be suitable.

• Or something like a $1000 shopping spree on the Funimation Store, or free Funimation Now for life.

I guess a trip to Funimation HQ or a booth session with a VA would be cool, but I couldn't care less about conventions. I don't really care that much about going to Japan either, so I never signed up for the Passport offer.

• @JayHairston said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

-Trip to Funimation HQ?

What would a trip to FuniQ be like? I can only imagine what it was like going to where my father works, and it is boring.

Sneak Peak on otherwise unknown titles? A small contribution to a script? A 1on1 Q&A with a variety of people?

Or is it just a "Hi" session?

How about doing a mock dubbing where we actually experience what a VA may have to go through? Like just throw a script at us and say "you are going to be voicing X." Following along with this line of logic, assuming you are bringing more than just one person, why not have them all voice a whole episode and include it on to a release (or to just those individuals) as an alternate take?

• @darthrutsula40 said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

@JayHairston said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

-Trip to Funimation HQ?

What would a trip to FuniQ be like? I can only imagine what it was like going to where my father works, and it is boring.

Sneak Peak on otherwise unknown titles? A small contribution to a script? A 1on1 Q&A with a variety of people?

Or is it just a "Hi" session?

How about doing a mock dubbing where we actually experience what a VA may have to go through? Like just throw a script at us and say "you are going to be voicing X." Following along with this line of logic, assuming you are bringing more than just one person, why not have them all voice a whole episode and include it on to a release (or to just those individuals) as an alternate take?

I think writing a scripts would be pretty cool

• @JayHairston A trip to Japan. ~_^

We actually did this for FMA. The prize was huge. It included a trip to Japan, spending money, and tickets to the L'Arc-en-Ciel concert.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

I second that, and I'd add the possibility to choose any episode/part of any serie licensed by Funimation.

I'm not sure about including it in an official release but at least returning home with a copy of the resulting video would be nice.

• @the_krock said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

@darthrutsula40 said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

I second that, and I'd add the possibility to choose any episode/part of any serie licensed by Funimation.

I'm not sure about including it in an official release but at least returning home with a copy of the resulting video would be nice.

I think it'd be really cool to get some critique behind it and seeing the final result. I'd love to voice a nerd.

• Hello once again Doublethree100,

How are you? First, let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner, my schedule has been all over the place... Yeah, if i happen to post a topic and can't get back to it (for whatever reason) feel free to keep discussing even if i don't re-enter the thread.

You explain,

"I just muted a few of them and had them play in the background while I did other things which counted."

Very resourceful, indeed.

Hoping this post finds you well, and, extending a happy thanksgiving to you and yours.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Hello GoldCrusader,

Sorry to hear that Canada was excluded from this. I also shudder at the prices for manga in Canada compared to the US...

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Darth explains,

“Like just throw a script at us and say ‘you are going to be voicing X’”

I guess in my “fantasy land” an opportunity such as that would be awesome, the realities of which might be terrifying from my perspective. The crushing weight of expectation. You are put into the booth. The lights are on. From your earpiece, you are given the cue to commence. Suddenly, you are stopped. You are not reading your lines with enough emotion for the scene. Take two. Now, you are reading with emotion, however, your words are not “syncing up” with the animation of the character - - you need more poise. Take three. It looks like you might have all the pieces together now, however, once again, you are stopped. You think to yourself, “What could i have possibly done wrong now?” Apparently, there was a problem in the engineering room and you will have to re-read all of your lines from the top even the ones you thanked your lucky stars you got through because it was so difficult. Someone then yells, “Take four!” - - but, by this time, you are unresponsive. It’s as if you can’t hear them anymore as your heart is pounding, your palms are sweaty, and the walls of the booth are closing in as your claustrophobia is acting up. Not to mention, the lights above you seem to be beating down with a heat worse than the Sahara desert. You are still trying to process the fact that you will have to reread all those dreadful lines again! Then, your seeming hesitation prompts someone outside your booth to say, “What’s wrong with this guy? I want to eat dinner sometime tonight…” Now you are being derided by a person - - possibly a role model you thought you had such great respect for… It is at this moment, that you realize a couple of things. First, what am i doing here? Second, this isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be…

Regards,
    P.J.

• @P.J. I was thinking more in line with "here you think its so easy? you have a try!"

• @P-J @darthrutsula40 I'm not sure that the experience of a contest winner would be much fun if they had to dub lines as good as professionals do. I would expect something in the middle where they push you to go out of your confort zone, but without expecting that you do as much as a real voice actor would be capable of doing (because you can't reach that level in one day).

• @the_krock said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

@P-J @darthrutsula40 I'm not sure that the experience of a contest winner would be much fun if they had to dub lines as good as professionals do. I would expect something in the middle where they push you to go out of your confort zone, but without expecting that you do as much as a real voice actor would be capable of doing (because you can't reach that level in one day).

I never said it had to be good.

• @P.J. said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

Hello GoldCrusader,

Sorry to hear that Canada was excluded from this. I also shudder at the prices for manga in Canada compared to the US...

Sincerely,
    P.J.

Not Canada, Quebec. I am not sure what the laws are there, but they are exempt from pretty much all contests and promotions.

The average volume of manga is about $12-13. Sure makes it hard to collect a lot.

• @korrailli $12-$13? Bookstores just charge whatever the CA cover price is here which is usually $15-$17 (Viz stuff seems cheaper for some reason though)

• @Doublethree100 said in Passport to Japan Contest.:

@korrailli $12-$13? Bookstores just charge whatever the CA cover price is here which is usually $15-$17 (Viz stuff seems cheaper for some reason though)

I don't really buy manga, so the price may be off. I usually just look at the price and realize I am not gonna buy it. The Erased volumes are like $30 I think.
    There is a company that hold regular comicbook/manga/anime sales, and they sell most of them manga for $5 each. I still don't buy it since they tend to not have the stuff I really want.