Any interest in an Anime "Book Club"?

• Was just curious if anyone else would be in to the idea of doing a book club sort of thing where, as a group, we get like, 2 weeks to watch a show and discuss it at the end, maybe have some questions laid out for people to answer and give their opinions, and we can vote on the next show for the group to watch.

Got the idea from the "Anime Unlocked" Facebook group, it's fun and does get some discussion going. Shows would obviously have to be limited to 2 cour length, otherwise there just wouldn't be enough time to watch.

Is there anyone else that would sign up for that sort of thing?

• I would.

• Sounds like a good idea

• @emdier said in Any interest in an Anime "Book Club"?:

Was just curious if anyone else would be in to the idea of doing a book club sort of thing where, as a group, we get like, 2 weeks to watch a show and discuss it at the end, maybe have some questions laid out for people to answer and give their opinions, and we can vote on the next show for the group to watch.

Got the idea from the "Anime Unlocked" Facebook group, it's fun and does get some discussion going. Shows would obviously have to be limited to 2 cour length, otherwise there just wouldn't be enough time to watch.

Is there anyone else that would sign up for that sort of thing?

@emdier "Book" mean to read so how would one watch to be a "Book Club". Also don't have a Facebook.

• @gohan6425 said in Any interest in an Anime "Book Club"?:

@emdier "Book" mean to read so how would one watch to be a "Book Club". Also don't have a Facebook.

It's just an expression. A book club is a club where members all read a particular book and then get together to discuss it. "Book Club" in this instance is just used as an analogy. So this club would have members all watch an anime and then discuss it. The Original Post didn't say anything about using Facebook for this club either, he said he got the idea from Facebook. I am sure if we formed an Anime Watching club, then we would discuss it on these forums.

• @HOOfan1 said in Any interest in an Anime "Book Club"?:

@gohan6425 said in Any interest in an Anime "Book Club"?:

It's just an expression. A book club is a club where members all read a particular book and then get together to discuss it. "Book Club" in this instance is just used as an analogy. So this club would have members all watch an anime and then discuss it. The Original Post didn't say anything about using Facebook for this club either, he said he got the idea from Facebook. I am sure if we formed an Anime Watching club, then we would discuss it on these forums.

@HOOfan1 I feel like this is something more or less we candiscussed via voice chat in the discord chat. Not as inpace for discussing on a froum when we can voice talk now on funimation chat. Also this would compete with Dubtalk fan show. Which I sure there not going to wanted that.

@HOOfan1 I feel like this is something more or less we candiscussed via voice chat in the discord chat. Not as inpace for discussing on a froum when we can voice talk now on funimation chat. Also this would compete with Dubtalk fan show. Which I sure there not going to wanted that.

Considering there are 4 time zones in the US alone and probably people here from all over the world, and many people who have jobs, it would be a nightmare trying to coordinate a time when everyone could get together on a chat server.

If we do it on the message board, people can post and reply at their leisure.

I feel like this is something more or less we discussed via voice chat in the discord chat. Not as inpace for discussing on a froum when we can voice talk now on funimation chat. Also this would compete with Dubtalk fan show. Which I sure there not going to wanted that.

Not everyone wants to use Discord, especially the voice chat. Having it on the forum would allow people to discuss when they are able and be able to see all the replies easily. I am not a huge fan of the Discord, and do not like to use voice chat features.
    As for Dubtalk, that really isn't the same. This 'Book Club' would be for regular users to discuss a show with each other, not just watching other people talk about a show.

The whole point is the be able to talk about a show that everyone who wants to would watch. Having questions to think about helps drive the discussion.

• @korrailli said in Any interest in an Anime "Book Club"?:

I am not a huge fan of the Discord, and do not like to use voice chat features.

Ditto, I am not sure why there are several people advocating abandoning the forums for Discord. People can't talk over each other on a forum....

• @HOOfan1 is correct, I didn't literally mean it would be a "Book club", that's just the best way I can think of phrasing it.

Personally I find the discord a bit confusing, if you're not online when a chat is happening it's easy to get a bit lost, this would be a bit more structured and would hopefully get some discussion going on the forums again. People can post at their own leisure, I would just need to figure out how we decide what shows to watch. I wanted to do a voting method somehow but haven't figured out how yet.

And I refuse to voice chat, I don't like talking to begin with.

And I don't think it will compete with dubtalk haha, it's just a little fun activity.

• Sure it could be cool.

• Sounds like fun! I want in :D

• @emdier said in Any interest in an Anime "Book Club"?:

@HOOfan1 is correct, I didn't literally mean it would be a "Book club", that's just the best way I can think of phrasing it.

Personally I find the discord a bit confusing, if you're not online when a chat is happening it's easy to get a bit lost, this would be a bit more structured and would hopefully get some discussion going on the forums again. People can post at their own leisure, I would just need to figure out how we decide what shows to watch. I wanted to do a voting method somehow but haven't figured out how yet.

And I refuse to voice chat, I don't like talking to begin with.

And I don't think it will compete with dubtalk haha, it's just a little fun activity.

@emdier I was like that too when I first started using discord this anout a year ago. Once I got the hang of it I was fine. As for voice chatting. I know you're not big on talking but I think it would actually be better for you if you did. You saod you're shy before talking with people might help you build up more confidence. Trust mic I don't bite. I don't really act nearly the way I do you hear on the forms when I talk to people or at least it won't come off the same way. Almost guarantee you that if any of you use met me in person you guys would actually think of me in a different light them you do then me just typing Conversations out. Just something to think about. As for a voting method why would I have a voting method for an anime I choose to pick. This discussion club is about what animation you're currently watching that I wouldn't watch something that someone else told me to watch I would watch something that I want to watch and then discuss it. As to live more people are going to discord and leaving the forums is because it's easier to communicate with people on discord. And you get faster responses rather than have to open up a topic and you may or may not get an answer and you might have to wait several hours to get one. Where on discord you can get an answer right away.

• @gohan6425 I may work up to voice chat some day, but I wouldn't count on it. And just for the record, I don't have a bad opinion of you, you've gotten way better!

The point of what I wanted to introduce was everyone watching the same show in the same time period, and then discussing it together as a group, so a voting system would be fun so everyone has a say in what people watch, and you can nominate shows that you personally like that maybe other people haven't watched or heard of.

So, for instance, if I said "Our first show is Yona of the Dawn" everyone would watch Yona (Say, get 2-3 weeks to watch the show) and then we have a discussion thread. We could have questions to answer (Who is your favorite character and why? What was your favorite scene? What did you like most about the show and what didn't you like?) Then we pick a new show and continue on like that. If you don't like the show, you can just skip that one and wait for the next show to be posted.

I personally don't mind waiting for responses, I don't live on Discord so I would likely miss out on discussion anyways, especially with the holiday season fast approaching. It's just more convenient to do it on the forums.

• I'd also like to get in on this. Also have to vote against the use of chat for discussion medium. Not only do I work nights, but have crazy hours to boot. Most weeks, I've logged my legal limit of hours for a week by early Wednesday morning, and the work week starts Sunday night. Trying to make it to a scheduled group discussion like that, knowing there's probably others with the opposite schedule would just make a chat unrealistic for somebody.

• Well there's nothing unusual about a group of people watching a show online and discussing it periodically. I think that's what this forum is for, though it's one of the reasons I'm not too active around here, because few seem to be engaged in doing that.

I like the idea of discord/live chat because it feels like you're actually watching with other people, and getting their fresh reactions/having fun. The Black Clover discord party went really well, and I enjoyed it. I'm barely even interested in that show but I liked the experience.

I get that people have unpredictable work schedules and such though, so that can be difficult. Even so, I don't see the harm in having it both ways. Set a time and date for the live show, with a leisurely followup on the forum afterwards.

Either way, as long as at least a few of us are willing to stick with it, I'll keep up and stay involved.

• I am interested in this also.