Funimation shop

• Okay I have an issue with the Funi buying experience:

In general I am fine with paying an extra $10 to support "local" "small" businesses (aka not buy something at walmart or amazon where it is cheaper). I am cool with paying for a new release from your shop (your = Funimation), or from Idea Factory International, or from paying full price to get a game I could totally get for $30 by going to PSN or whatever.

I am however annoyed that I don't get things as quickly as I can from... say... Walmart (MY EMPLOYER). Today was the release of Your Name. we at walmart got some copies (8 of the blu-ray, none sold today btw while I was there, rip), but my mail did not. Tracking even shows that it was mailed out on the 4th and as of the last update (the sixth) it was still in PA (funny thing, it went in a NE direction which is like half-wrong direction from me as I live in NC). I am okay with being willing to admit that USPS has a worse logistics system compared to Walmart or Amazon. But come on, when you buy from the supplier, the least said supplier could do is at the least get product to us like a day early, or at least on release day.

Its just frustrating that my fourth ranked movie this year (though will be knocked down probably before the year ends), that I was looking forward to watching again, is not even geographically close to me. And its not like this is an anomaly, this is a consistent problem.

I am fine with being a little lenient on movie/show releases since I've probably already watched them and/or already have access to them, but getting a game a day or two late sucks. Same with international releases, of course those will take a while, which is why I wouldn't even complain that I got my copy of A Silent Voice like 5 days after it released.

But I'm not here about games, I am here complaining about the fact that I am going to have to go to bed tonight knowing that I wouldn't have watched Your Name again, when I wanted to.

Suggestion: as the distributor, are you not able to at least get copies of your movies/tv shows to customers willing to pay a $10+ upcharge to their abode before they release?

• Not to excuse Funimation's shipping, but Amazon always sends me my stuff in bubble mailers, and it sometimes has crush damage. I'm pretty particular about the condition of my books and Bluray packaging. At least Funimation uses boxes to ship items and puts in some packing material.

I've even pre-ordered some items from Amazon and didn't get them on the day of release. I think I got Gears of War 4 about 2 days after release.

Also better than Sentai. I ordered something from them Friday morning, they have already charged my bank and they haven't even shipped the item yet. At least Funimation and Amazon wait until they ship the item to charge.

What type of shipping did you pay for? I usually just go free shipping and I get the items in about 5-7 days from the day it ships.

• Sorry to hear you didn’t have the best experience with this..

Maybe there was such a high demand, that they were just overwhelmed? I mean, not too far removed, i ordered And You Never Thought There is a Girl Online and a shirt from their shop, and it arrived at my place pretty quickly. I would imagine that you should at least receive it by the end of this week. If not, i don’t think it would hurt to call their support phone line directly to check what’s going on.

Did you get the standard edition or limited edition? As for myself, i went to the theatre 3 times to see Your Name. I also purchased the hard cover light novel. Although the story has kinda run its course with me, down the line, i’ll probably pick it up to have a reference point in my collection. Also, it doesn’t get easier for my budget especially with Pokemon Ultra Moon/ Sun around the bend not to mention that Little Busters is apparently available on STEAM now. Darn, wish i followed that one more closely…

Outside of this, hoping that you’re doing good overall,

Sincerely,
    P.J.

P.S.- Surprised you didn’t ring in on TGA’s resignation thread?

• @darthrutsula40

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've shared your feedback with the Funimation Shop team to review and improve services in the future. While I don't know the specifics, I would imagine a release as large as Your Name. gets crazy on the back end as far as logistics and ensuring everyone get's their copy in a timely manner.

Nevertheless, the only way we can improve is hearing feedback from fans like you in hopes of providing a better overall buying and viewing experience moving forward.

Again, our apologies we weren't able to get it to you on release day.

Thanks for reaching out!

-J

• @HOOfan1 said in Funimation shop:

Not to excuse Funimation's shipping, but Amazon always sends me my stuff in bubble mailers, and it sometimes has crush damage. I'm pretty particular about the condition of my books and Bluray packaging. At least Funimation uses boxes to ship items and puts in some packing material.

I've even pre-ordered some items from Amazon and didn't get them on the day of release. I think I got Gears of War 4 about 2 days after release.

Also better than Sentai. I ordered something from them Friday morning, they have already charged my bank and they haven't even shipped the item yet. At least Funimation and Amazon wait until they ship the item to charge.

What type of shipping did you pay for? I usually just go free shipping and I get the items in about 5-7 days from the day it ships.

I think one or two of my other anime's have crush damage so the disc(s) will never actually sit where its supposed to.

I did go with the free shipping, and I'd otherwise be fine with the 5-7 days from it leaving them and reaching my home... if it was already out. pre-orders, at least in my opinion, should at the very least get to our respective houses on release day (obviously there's a difference between something being pre-ordered weeks+ in advance and day before release). Not like Amazon is forgiven, of the 4 pre-ordered games I've gotten from them (with RELEASE day delivery) 3 of them didn't actually get to my home till days after (Gravity Rush 2 didn't even get to me until FOUR GOD DAMN DAYS AFTER IT CAME OUT). So I started buying locally if I could (avoiding gamestops) but the shop I frequented closed up (4 months after it opened) so it left me falling behind.

It really does suck seeing streams and stuff from content creators for a game or movie you are excited about but you're forced to wait because you wanted to be cheap or because you wanted to support a business that is far away (like Funimation or Idea Factory International).

@JayHairston said in Funimation shop:

@darthrutsula40

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've shared your feedback with the Funimation Shop team to review and improve services in the future. While I don't know the specifics, I would imagine a release as large as Your Name. gets crazy on the back end as far as logistics and ensuring everyone get's their copy in a timely manner.

Nevertheless, the only way we can improve is hearing feedback from fans like you in hopes of providing a better overall buying and viewing experience moving forward.

Thanks for reaching out!

-J

Look, I am, at least partially, willing to forgive that Your Name is possibly a bit of a logistical nightmare, but... you guys had weeks/months to be ready. Unless printing blu-rays/dvds honestly does take that much time, but I'd imagine shipping directly to people from your own shop is easier to fulfill compared to mega-retailers like Walmart or Amazon who order X-amount. And as someone who works with dvds/blu-rays I am fully aware that we get new releases the week before they release, at the store level.

But to my recollection this hasn't been the first time. Still a better track record than with my amazon experience though, so I guess there's a plus?

As a bit of a segue, as the distributor, are you guys not able to get copies that were bought from your own store to customers before they released? Or is that just a big no-no? If not, is there a general reason why? (I'm not asking like contract stuff, just generalizations).

• @darthrutsula40 said in Funimation shop:

@HOOfan1 said in Funimation shop:

Not to excuse Funimation's shipping, but Amazon always sends me my stuff in bubble mailers, and it sometimes has crush damage. I'm pretty particular about the condition of my books and Bluray packaging. At least Funimation uses boxes to ship items and puts in some packing material.

I think one or two of my other anime's have crush damage so the disc(s) will never actually sit where its supposed to.

I did go with the free shipping, and I'd otherwise be fine with the 5-7 days from it leaving them and reaching my home... if it was already out. pre-orders, at least in my opinion, should at the very least get to our respective houses on release day (obviously there's a difference between something being pre-ordered weeks+ in advance and day before release). Not like Amazon is forgiven, of the 4 pre-ordered games I've gotten from them (with RELEASE day delivery) 3 of them didn't actually get to my home till days after (Gravity Rush 2 didn't even get to me until FOUR GOD DAMN DAYS AFTER IT CAME OUT). So I started buying locally if I could (avoiding gamestops) but the shop I frequented closed up (4 months after it opened) so it left me falling behind.

It really does suck seeing streams and stuff from content creators for a game or movie you are excited about but you're forced to wait because you wanted to be cheap or because you wanted to support a business that is far away (like Funimation or Idea Factory International).

@darthrutsula40

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

-J

Look, I am, at least partially, willing to forgive that Your Name is possibly a bit of a logistical nightmare, but... you guys had weeks/months to be ready. Unless printing blu-rays/dvds honestly does take that much time, but I'd imagine shipping directly to people from your own shop is easier to fulfill compared to mega-retailers like Walmart or Amazon who order X-amount. And as someone who works with dvds/blu-rays I am fully aware that we get new releases the week before they release, at the store level.

But to my recollection this hasn't been the first time. Still a better track record than with my amazon experience though, so I guess there's a plus?

As a bit of a segue, as the distributor, are you guys not able to get copies that were bought from your own store to customers before they released? Or is that just a big no-no? If not, is there a general reason why? (I'm not asking like contract stuff, just generalizations).

@darthrutsula40 Well it happen to me TWICE now with Dragonball Super Volume 1 and Code Geass OVA if your remember. So I don't know why your surprised by this.

• @gohan6425 said in Funimation shop:

@darthrutsula40 said in Funimation shop:

@darthrutsula40

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

-J

@darthrutsula40 Well it happen to me TWICE now with Dragonball Super Volume 1 and Code Geass OVA if your remember. So I don't know why your surprised by this.

Not surprised, just irked about it. I am aware that its a recurring thing, it just bothers me that I willingly pay more to get something, I should at least be able to get it at the same time as a brick-and-mortar store puts it on the shelf. Retailers get their stock days (sometimes weeks) in advance, so why are we not able to get release day delivery?

• @darthrutsula40 said in Funimation shop:

@gohan6425 said in Funimation shop:

@darthrutsula40 said in Funimation shop:

@darthrutsula40

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

-J

Not surprised, just irked about it. I am aware that its a recurring thing, it just bothers me that I willingly pay more to get something, I should at least be able to get it at the same time as a brick-and-mortar store puts it on the shelf. Retailers get their stock days (sometimes weeks) in advance, so why are we not able to get release day delivery?

@darthrutsula40 I know that what I saying when I pre-order before it came out. I would by Right Stuf that for DBS Voulme 2 got my Blu-Ray out to me 3 days before it came out in the store.

• In my experience, buying direct from Funimation has just been "OK".

Sometimes they have sales that beat every competitor, and best of all you can usually find titles here that are out of print elsewhere.

Shipping and processing is on the slow side, and I don't think there are any free shipping options over a certain dollar amount like many online stores.

Earlier this year I preordered the Haruhi movie, but it was delayed by about a week due to insufficient stock. It was a popular release so it's understandable, but I had to contact them to sort things out. The order details on the site weren't accurate either. I think gauging the stock for preorders and new releases is something they have to work on.

I still buy Funimation titles, but nearly all through Rightstuf. Their shipping is still slower than Amazon (nothing is faster than Amazon) and I'll typically receive my order 5-10 days after placing it.

In my experience, buying from Sentai's online store has been the best. They usually process the order within a day or two, and have free 2-day shipping over $75. They also consistently deliver preorders before their official release date. For example, I preordered Squid Girl recently, and am set to get it in the mail on Monday, despite the release date not set until the 28th. They're also fulfilled by Rightstuf anyway, so you can trust the source.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from shopping with Funimation though, just sharing my experience.

• @MyOnlyFarph said in Funimation shop:

In my experience, buying direct from Funimation has just been "OK".

Sometimes they have sales that beat every competitor, and best of all you can usually find titles here that are out of print elsewhere.

Shipping and processing is on the slow side, and I don't think there are any free shipping options over a certain dollar amount like many online stores.

Earlier this year I preordered the Haruhi movie, but it was delayed by about a week due to insufficient stock. It was a popular release so it's understandable, but I had to contact them to sort things out. The order details on the site weren't accurate either. I think gauging the stock for preorders and new releases is something they have to work on.

I still buy Funimation titles, but nearly all through Rightstuf. Their shipping is still slower than Amazon (nothing is faster than Amazon) and I'll typically receive my order 5-10 days after placing it.

In my experience, buying from Sentai's online store has been the best. They usually process the order within a day or two, and have free 2-day shipping over $75. They also consistently deliver preorders before their official release date. For example, I preordered Squid Girl recently, and am set to get it in the mail on Monday, despite the release date not set until the 28th. They're also fulfilled by Rightstuf anyway, so you can trust the source.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from shopping with Funimation though, just sharing my experience.

I didn't pay shipping on any of my orders from Funimation. Both were over $50 though

I did have to pay shipping from Sentai, In fact I had to pay $7 shipping, which is pretty steep. It also took them 5 days to process my order.

• @HOOfan1 hmm rechecking my history looks like I paid shipping on a cheap order but got it free for a more expensive one, so I guess I remembered wrong. Anyone know the dollar amount to trigger it?

For Sentai shipping is free for orders over $75, and sometimes on preorders. Otherwise yeah, it's about $7. Seems to always be 2 day shipping though when it is free. Rightstuf is free standard shipping over $50, but it's a bit slow.