Funimation Fall 2017

• The Funi fall season is officially underway so I thought I would make a thread to talk about the which shows left the best first impressions. For me this season has started really strong and may be the best of the year.

First on my list and my favorite so far is Konohana Kitan. Each episode is visually beautiful and each character is unique with distinctive personalities that are very enjoyable to watch interact. This show definitely fills that hole left behind when New Game ended.

Second would have to be Kino's Journey. The novelty of the show may wear off over time but right now I'm enjoying the stand alone episodes of the different countries we get to see each week. She also seems much more ruthless then I would have first guessed.

Third is A Sister's All You Need. I knew I was going to enjoy this one before I seen the first episode since it is the same author as Haganai and it definitely has not disappointed.

and the rest I'm going to continue watching:
    Love Live! Sunshine
    Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
    The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Recovery of an MMO Junkie
    Anime-Gataris
    Black Clover

Overall it seems like a quality season and I cant wait to see how it all plays out. Feel free to share your thoughts on what your watching and I hope everyone is enjoying the fall as much as me.

• I'm not sure why, but feel like I'm being a bit more critical of this season than usual. I'm assuming that is because I started watching most of the shows I was really looking forward to on CR. As for dubs, I'm currently keeping up with Black Clover, Love Live Sunshine, Kino's Journey, Ancient Magus Bride, and Recovery of an MMO Junkie. None of them are really "addictive" yet, but the season is just really starting.

Of that list, I would have to tie Black Clover and Ancient Magus Bride for the top spot, but really wasn't looking forward to either prior to the season beginning because I'd never really given either much attention. That means it's all new material to me, so nothing to base the story on.

I'm honestly most upset with Recovery of an MMO Junkie, but think I may have done that to myself. I was anticipating the series so much that I started watching it on CR when it premiered. As a standing rule, I avoid watching any show in more than one format (raw or dub) because I'm constantly comparing the differences and it makes it more difficult to enjoy which ever I started later. Even though I've only seen the first episode dub, something about the voice acting/personality of Mori Mori chan feels very out of character. However, since I watch dubs as part of a group, I'll have to keep up with both formats for the season, and keep my mouth shut about what I feel is a major flaw in the dub. However, I do look forward to seeing how an upcoming internal thought scene gets translated and whether the English VA can manage to come close to the emotion of the original. Sometimes those comparisons can be fun, but more often than not they are just depressing.

• The shows I am watching are,

• The Ancient Magus' Bride (My favorite <3)
    • Zodiac War
    • Kino's Journey
    • Recovery of an MMO Junkie
    • Mahoujin Guruguru (2017)

I have a habit of enjoying shows moreso when I am binging, so a show has to REALLY hold my interest to keep me watching while it's airing, otherwise I just kinda forget about it for a while and I pick it up later. These are the shows that are holding my attention well enough that I make sure to tune in weekly. I expected this of Kino's Journey, Kino and Zodiac War, but Guruguru and MMO Junkie have been pleasant surprises. I didn't really expect to care much for either show, but MMO Junkie has turned out to be very charming (Likely because I had such low expectations).

Mahoujin Guruguru is a show that is so great and yet seemingly no one is watching it or talking about it. So sad.

alt text

Shows I Have Dropped

• Black Clover
    • King's Game

These shows are in my Hall of Shame. Sorry, but Black Clover is not only as cliche as it gets but it just hasn't grabbed me at all. I don't think I need to explain King's Game.

and shows I will eventually watch but I have decided to marathon at a later time.

• Children of the Whales
    • Just Because
    • March Comes Like a Lion
    • Girls Last Trip
    • Blend S
    • Garo: Vanishing Line
    • Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2nd Season
    • Yuki Yuna is a Hero Season 2
    • Fate/Apocrypha
    • Welcome to the Ballroom
    • Blood Blockade Battlefront Season 2

These are the shows that I am either waiting for a dub, or just think I will like a lot and will want to finish in one go.

• @emdier I too enjoy binge watching a show and I have been honestly considering holding off on The Ancient Magus' Bride since I feel it would be better in one sitting rather then small bites. The only downside to that strategy is that it ends too quickly and I'm sad it is over. Also in case you were unaware Netflix uploaded the first 12 episodes of Fate/Apocrypha with the dub.

@pleco_breeder IDK if its true but I heard Black Clover was going to be 50 episodes (I just read a comment I think from ANN so please don't take as fact) but if that is the case I feel it could get real interesting. Right now its low on my list for this season but I feel like it has a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to how it develops.