I wonder why Funimation doesn't produce origional anime/video games?

• Given that Funimation is the Biggest anime licensor/distributer in the country, I'm surprised it doesn't make any original anime series, such as slice of life series taking place in North America and Europe, or any other genre, such as music anime, action anime, etc.

If supposed Funimation did produce such, they would have to team up with an anime studio in japan to produce the animation. Then Funimation would have to write the scripts, as well as songs from scratch, as well as having existing voice actors who are good at singing do the opening/closing songs.

I also don't know why they don't also produce any anime games or visual novels with anime characters including cute ones.

I would like to hopefully see this in the future, but I don't know if its possible.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in I wonder why Funimation doesn't produce origional anime/video games?:

Given that Funimation is the Biggest anime licensor/distributer in the country, I'm surprised it doesn't make any original anime series, such as slice of life series taking place in North America and Europe, or any other genre, such as music anime, action anime, etc.

If supposed Funimation did produce such, they would have to team up with an anime studio in japan to produce the animation. Then Funimation would have to write the scripts, as well as songs from scratch, as well as having existing voice actors who are good at singing do the opening/closing songs.

I also don't know why they don't also produce any anime games or visual novels with anime characters including cute ones.

I would like to hopefully see this in the future, but I don't know if its possible.

You do know that they were part of the Production Committee for Dimension W, right?

It's something they are interested in pursuing, but opportunities are few,. I'm pretty sure that now that the Sony Deal is finalized, That is something they may more rigorously pursue.

• Just my two cents, but I'm completely in disagreement with this. While Japanese consider anime to be any animation, even Disney, in my mind there is a strong difference between North American animation and Japanese animation. It's more than just the art style, cultural references, or original language. There is a "feel" to the stories which I can't remember seeing in any western animation. Don't take this to mean that I haven't enjoyed some western animation series in the past, but there is definitely something different in the styles.

Recently, western companies have became much more involved in anime production, and in some cases it has been successful. Others, not so much. Because of these, I've kind of came to the hypothesis that it's actually a good thing that western localization/production companies are involved with the process as it does seem to imply that more projects are becoming available to western audiences, and having more choices in what we watch is a bonus to the fans.

However, and I know I'm going to upset people when I actually mention titles but two recent primarily western projects immediately come to mind, shows like The Reflection and Urahara have shown me that there is a dividing line which needs to be in place. My current theory is that the projects need to be from a Japanese source material in order to maintain that feel. Poor, or different, animation doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me if I can connect to the story. Case in point, I can barely stand to watch the Studio Trigger stuff whenever I first start it. However, I know that there have been a couple of titles they've done which have had really great stories to the point that I've even bought collectors edition merchandise based on the anime. For the sake of those gems, and the potential for more, I'm more than willing to accept the unfavorable animation style for the sake of the story. Western sources just don't seem to be able to replicate the stories in a way which I can accept as anime. Animation, yeah, let them market as that all they want. If they want to do a cartoon about a North American high school, and have it animated in Japan or South Korea, I wish the best of luck. However, without a proper story/script, the drawing style still won't make it an anime.

If you want a good example, beyond my own personal opinion on the matter, I'd advise looking up "Originally English Visual Novels". This is the attempt at replicating the predominantly Japanese visual novel games. While a few have rather good artists, some even better at the anime art style than the Japanese production companies, pretty much all of them have had rather weak stories.

Maybe someday there will be enough understanding to be able to replicate the style in a way which would allow an expansion of the market. However, it doesn't seem that we're currently anywhere near that level.

• @Series5Ranger Of Course in terms of Demension W, the opening/closing was done by Japanese singers, and the music was produced by Japanese companies.

If Funimation produced anime, while they would use a Japanese studio for the animation, the music would be produced by Funimation.

As far as video games go, if Funimation made anime video games, I like to see a game similar to Gal Gun produced.

• Their not a production company that's why.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in I wonder why Funimation doesn't produce origional anime/video games?:

If Funimation produced anime, while they would use a Japanese studio for the animation, the music would be produced by Funimation.

Aniplex produces anime yet frequently they don't produce the music so that's not the case. This season's Urahara only has Crunchyroll (along with the SC anime fund) and VAP yet Crunchyroll didn't produce the music.
    0_1509319771682_Ura.jpg

Unless you're expecting Funimation to fund the entire anime themselves which I don't think I've ever seen outside of OVAs.

• Imo I don't see a point for them to produce anime for 3 reasons.

#1 They're not a worldwide streaming service

#2 Crunchyroll seems to be getting serious with co-producing/getting partnerships

#3 They will dub anything Crunchyroll licenses/co-produces anyways

• Netflix is gonna be leading the charge on this one I think, they have a ton of shows coming up next year. I guess they can just wait and see how that does.

• I'm sure the reason they accept the purchase offer from Sony was so they can potentially better put their foot in the door for Production Committees.

With that said, the don't produce original content because they're not an animation studio. Funding something original would take a lot of money.

• @crimsonechidna I am hoping that Funimation being on the production committee could be less limitations by the Japanese companies imposed on Funimation, so they can do things like dub songs, have DVDs with more bells and whistles, such as commentaries, outtakes, and perhaps even more features like going behind the scenes at the making of the dubs, etc.

Even with Funimation owned by Sony, I still want Funimation to be actively engaging personally with fans, especially at conventions. And focus on what many people want rather than existing only for the sole purpose of generating profit for the shareholders and Executives.

• @Spaceshotx7 I'm not sure how the Sony connections actually work (which division actually work with each other or are even connected beyond the name "Sony"), but you may actually get a PORTION of your wish from this acquisition. Sony music has been used in anime, although they're not heavily active. That may provide at least a glimmer of hope.

Having said that, producers like Lantis (which is easily the most productive with regards to anime music) will still be holding strong to the same business model they've been using. IP rights are usually heavily guarded when agreements are being made (as I'm sure you're already aware), and it's very rare that one committee member is even willing to ask to about being involved with the production process of another. It's kind of like somebody asking you to let them manage your money without your input.

• @pleco_breeder Given Sony Music is part of Aniplex USA, and that Sony Owns Aniplex, I wonder if Aniplex USA and Funimation will merge, and that the Aniplex USA office could eventually become Funimation's second office location, and we possibly can see some California based dubs for some shows. And also because of what I stated, if Sony is involved with the music, what if it could possibly increases the chances of the songs made by sony music getting dubbed?

I also think that as part of the Sony Acquisition, Funimation and Aniplex USA should be merged into one company. Then Aniplex's anime can be distributed and dubbed by Funimation. This would make Funimation the ultimate Anime company in the United States.

Also, Lantis seems to be the largest producer of Anime music, and if Lantis is involved in the music production of anime, does it automatically mean that music will not be dubbed if Lantis is involved in that anime series/Franchise?

• @Spaceshotx7 At one point in this I understood the Sony divisions, but have since forgotten all the details. Sony Television is, I believe, who purchased Funimation. Aniplex and A-1 Studio are owned by another division, so one company or the other would have to be sold in order for any merger to happen. Not likely to happen. This is actually a blessing because that would most likely set anime costs outside the reasonable range of most of the audience.

My thought is that there may be some amount of leverage given for localized distribution of music rights from Sony Music for localization being done under the Sony/Funimation label. Given that it is still separate divisions (and not directly related) this is still a slim chance. It would still increase the cost of the license, and the final product, but would depend upon the IP holder. However, it is plausible.

• I think the best way to think of the different Sonys is to think of them as children. You have Sony the parent who is the head of the family while the different iterations of all the Sonys are children. So Sony Interactive can work with Sony Music but as far as they are concerned, they are two separate businesses. They can own other businesses just like any other person (like Sony Music owning Aniplex while Sony Pictures or w/e owns Funimation). They are a part of the same overall family but the different people in said family have some level of autonomy, though they also have perks too.

I don't know what kind of analogy works best here, I guess a clan would be, or the Mafia/Yakuza.

• @darthrutsula40 said in I wonder why Funimation doesn't produce origional anime/video games?:

I think the best way to think of the different Sonys is to think of them as children. You have Sony the parent who is the head of the family while the different iterations of all the Sonys are children. So Sony Interactive can work with Sony Music but as far as they are concerned, they are two separate businesses. They can own other businesses just like any other person (like Sony Music owning Aniplex while Sony Pictures or w/e owns Funimation). They are a part of the same overall family but the different people in said family have some level of autonomy, though they also have perks too.

I don't know what kind of analogy works best here, I guess a clan would be, or the Mafia/Yakuza.

I would say Funimation and Aniplex are like cousins. I wish Grandpa Kaz Hirai could tell them to get along and share their toys.

Aniplex is under Sony Music Japan.

Funimation is under Sony Pictures Entertainment....which is under Sony Entertainment along with Sony Music Entertainment (US) Sony Entertainment is under Sony Corporation of America. Sony Interactive Entertainment (Playstation) is also under Sony Corporation of America

Animax is under Sony Pictures Japan..and Sony Pictures Entertainment (America) owns the majority of their stock

about as clear as mud huh?

• They're a dubbing studio, that said...I wouldn't mind them dubbing some video games. Dunno if they actually do that...

• @Joeynator3000 said in I wonder why Funimation doesn't produce origional anime/video games?:

They're a dubbing studio, that said...I wouldn't mind them dubbing some video games. Dunno if they actually do that...

Some Funimation VAs do work in video games. Bordlerands has a bunch of Funimation VAs. Obviously Dragon Ball games have a lot of Funimation VAs. I am sure all of the work is contracted by the Video game production companies though.

I think it would be great if American companies could get into Anime production, but even American Cartoon production companies are outsourcing animation overseas. Not to mention the fact that Japanese companies wouldn't want the control of their IPs leaving Japan. Sony seems to be the only Japanese media company that wants to expand outside of Japan

• @HOOfan1 said in I wonder why Funimation doesn't produce origional anime/video games?:

Sony seems to be the only Japanese media company that wants to expand outside of Japan

Just off the top of my head, Nintendo, Toei, Pony Canyon, Lantis, Bushiroad, Square Enix, Capcom, Sega/Atlus, Konami, Kodansha, Viz and Shogakukan are all Japanese media companies and all have branches outside of Japan.

@HOOfan1 said in I wonder why Funimation doesn't produce origional anime/video games?:

I think it would be great if American companies could get into Anime production

They already are. Netflix announced they're producing 30 original anime (we've already seen some), Crunchyroll is making some original shows (Children of Ether) and helping fund a lot, Stan Lee's POW Entertainment was involved with The Reflection and Disney has been involved in a bunch of (mostly unlicensed) anime based on their movies.

• Nintendo still seems pretty closed minded. Square Enix I have to give you though, they really have made efforts to expand in the West.

• @HOOfan1 They still have a western branch and own North American companies such as Retro Studios and Next Level Games that have been able to work on the Metroid, Donkey Kong and Mario series so I'd say they seem fine with expanding outside of Japan.